Defensive Carry banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
To me, minimalist is pocket carry. I refuse to carry anything more diminutive than a 9mm. That’s my Sig P365 with a 12+1 mag and a 15 rd mag as a spare....at the minimum! LOL The P365 allowed me to sell my Sig MK25 to my best friend and put the P320 with Green Laser integrated frame into the safe. If I need more than that, I’ll strap on an OWB holster and carry a 1911 45 auto. Or a 10mm in a similar rig. The next step up is the “truck gun.”

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I leave the house I stuff a S&W 380 bodyguard in a holster into my front pocket. In the other front pocket I carry a small pocket knife with a bottle opener, a blade, and a cork puller. That's it. I've used the bottle opener and cork puller far more often than I've used the 380. And that's a good thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My idea is carrying my Sar K2P with one extra mag and a knife that is my minimum carry otherwise I carry a kimber CDP with two spare mags and a good knife and a light .

·
Registered
17 Posts
My minimal carry is Shield 9 AIWB with ulticlips, no belt. 7 rnd mag with magguts so 9 total.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
For much of this week it’s been a j frame M442 in the pocket with a speed strip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Matt,
With this, I say close the thread.
Ha!
I carry.
What I want.
When I want.
I rotate because I can and am confident in what I carry.
From practice.
Not posts.
I agree. Here is the way I look at it: Carry as much gun (and other stuff) as you can get away with; and a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Since I got my compact grip from Ruger, I been carrying my GP100 44 Special and a speed strip.

I'm lovin this gun now, in fact, it might even bump my 2.25" SP101 out of the #1 spot. Might.

Took it to the range yesterday with some hand loaded Gold Dots and they were bullseye from 10 yards. 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I agree. Here is the way I look at it: Carry as much gun (and other stuff) as you can get away with; and a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45.
The larger caliber is always less accurate. :disappointed:
Lets turn around, "a hit with a 45 is better than a miss with a 22" :22:

·
Registered
114 Posts
We seem to have been over run lately with the usual gun forum chest thumping from the usual suspects. That got me wondering how many forum members (and perhaps lurkers) would be willing to discuss minimalist carry?

I am purposely not going to define what minimalist carry is, as I’m sure it will have varying definitions. That’s actually the first thing I’m curious about...what is your definition of the term.

Next, I’m interested in why you would carry that way? Simply want to be comfortable? (Heresy in the gun community!). Maybe you spent years with a heavy duty belt and are simply over it.

Perhaps you work in a non permissive environment? Need to have close physical contact with others? Have kids climbing over you? Need to climb around machinery?

Maybe you have physical infirmities?

Perhaps you are required or simply prefer to dress a certain way?

So, if you usually or even sometimes practice what you consider minimalist carry...let’s discuss.

And please...if you are a member of the “full size fighting pistol (sic) or nothing” brigade, or are a magnum caliber commando...don’t bother posting. We already know all your arguments.

As for me, my usual carry might be considered minimalist by some. Due to NPE at work, kids, preferred and required attire, and just wanting to be comfortable at times, I most often carry a pair of LCPs and one spare mag. No flashlight, knife (other than a tiny keychain Swiss Army), pepper spray, etc.

Let’s discuss...
I find it really refreshing to read your down to earth comments here. Not my lifestyle, my job, or even my mindset is such that I want to go about loaded down and armed to the teeth. I carry a small AA flashlight (not a beaming search light), because it’s small and clips easily to a pocket (in case a need a light). I carry a Swiss Army knife (not a fighting knife, and not a toolbox) again because it easily fits in my pocket and I can even use it at work without anyone paying attention (and I just might need a small knife or a tool for something). I carry a basic Fisher Bullet pen because it easily fits in my pocket and writes on most anything. Recently bought a small S&W 380 for many similar reasons. It’s small, light and Easy to carry and although I hope to not need a gun, I want to have something I can easily have with me just in case I need it. Not to mention I’m getting older. I don’t imagine myself to be Rambo. Carrying an ALICE pack full of gear just isn’t gonna happen....but often I need one of the basic tools I’ve listed above, if for no other reason than to help me a little in my day to day. So I opt for what someone might call minimalist. I’m comfortable, and I’ve stopped buying the group speak so prevalent on many of the forums. Might I want a searchlight and a howitzer someday...maybe, BUT, not today :). Its taken me over 20 yrs of CCW and additional years before that as a gun owner (and commoner) to arrive at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I find it really refreshing to read your down to earth comments here. Its taken me over 20 yrs of CCW and additional years before that as a gun owner (and commoner) to arrive at this point.
Welcome to the club!!!

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Today was in the mid 90s. By noon I had sweat through my clothes, and I was in no mood to be weighed down. Changed into some athletic shorts (no belt) so the NAA Mini revolver went into my pocket. That has been it for the rest of the day. Feel blessed to have that option.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Most days my belt and cargo shorts have enough gear to handle most anything I may need for the day. To answer the O P , Today my back is not cooperating. My grass needs cutting. Today will be one 442 in the pocket. Couple of speed strips and that’s it.
Yard work and mechanic work today so just a 642 AIWB and a couple of quick strips here as well. I also have a mini pepper spray clipped to my pocket. My pocket knives and mini flashlight as always.

Only time I have less is bumming around the house in sweatpants then its just the 642 in a front pocket and nothing else not even a holster.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Your probably young and ready to rock. I’m older and ready to sit down. After walking 7+ miles cutting grass I would definitely need an advantage if something went south around here. So far (knock on my bald head) things are quiet around here and I’ve never needed anything.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts