Defensive Carry banner

161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Mighty mite range day.

100 rounds through the LCP at 7 yards rapid fire. Two handed, and a mix of right and left hand only. The miss was the last shot fired, left hand only.

View attachment 327864

NAA MINI .22 LR with the folding grip. 3, 5 and 7 yards. Fast enough to get the cylinder hot.

View attachment 327866
@Sister - if you like fire, Winchester 333 round bulk pack ammo spit some impressive fire with every shot!

I can’t even begin to explain how much fun this little gem is.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
I find it really refreshing to read your down to earth comments here. Not my lifestyle, my job, or even my mindset is such that I want to go about loaded down and armed to the teeth. I carry a small AA flashlight (not a beaming search light), because it’s small and clips easily to a pocket (in case a need a light). I carry a Swiss Army knife (not a fighting knife, and not a toolbox) again because it easily fits in my pocket and I can even use it at work without anyone paying attention (and I just might need a small knife or a tool for something). I carry a basic Fisher Bullet pen because it easily fits in my pocket and writes on most anything. Recently bought a small S&W 380 for many similar reasons. It’s small, light and Easy to carry and although I hope to not need a gun, I want to have something I can easily have with me just in case I need it. Not to mention I’m getting older. I don’t imagine myself to be Rambo. Carrying an ALICE pack full of gear just isn’t gonna happen....but often I need one of the basic tools I’ve listed above, if for no other reason than to help me a little in my day to day. So I opt for what someone might call minimalist. I’m comfortable, and I’ve stopped buying the group speak so prevalent on many of the forums. Might I want a searchlight and a howitzer someday...maybe, BUT, not today :). Its taken me over 20 yrs of CCW and additional years before that as a gun owner (and commoner) to arrive at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been CCing for about 40 years. I have found that a fullsize Glock and an extra magazine is as easy to conceal carry as anything else for me, and I have been carrying a Spyderco for a long time too.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Today was in the mid 90s. By noon I had sweat through my clothes, and I was in no mood to be weighed down. Changed into some athletic shorts (no belt) so the NAA Mini revolver went into my pocket. That has been it for the rest of the day. Feel blessed to have that option.
Why I was happy to leave Texas. Last time I worked in McAllen I sweated thru a leather duty belt.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Here is the deciding factor for me for what I carry on a given day. Its not weather, its not weight and its not strictly convenience. When I was more often in an NPE at work it was primarily maximum concealment so it was a pocket 380 most days . These days its about activity. Yes, a lot of the time I can conceal a Glock 21 but, depends on what I am doing. I no longer have the 380 as its no longer needed when I retire in two months.

The more physical activity I am doing the smaller the gun gets because I bump it or snag it on things or it pokes into me uncomfortably.
I can do almost anything with a appendix carried j frame as I can do without a gun on whether it be working with a tool belt or laying across my roof to trim a tree or on the creeper under my truck and reaching for tools,etc. Its also an easier access gun driving than a belt carried gun at 3:00 or farther back.
Sitting on the couch on my laptop the 642 in my sweatpants pocket is much faster than going to the safe or the table if someone decides to kick my door down and I don't have to be unarmed when I take the garbage out to the alley dumpster or when I take the dog out before bed. I can respond to things happening without the wasted time thinking about getting a firearm.

Yes, its a low capacity and relatively low energy firearm so I plan accordingly in my response. I don't pretend its just as effective as something else but, instead realize plan B with a j frame may need to be different than the G21 type of gun.

I am no more married to full size gun carry than I am minimalist carry. Its all about right tool for the job for me personally.
I carry weak hand accessible pepper spray now which is not some magic defense but, rather another option in the force continuum. Options are good.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Here is the deciding factor for me for what I carry on a given day. Its not weather, its not weight and its not strictly convenience. When I was more often in an NPE at work it was primarily maximum concealment so it was a pocket 380 most days . These days its about activity. Yes, a lot of the time I can conceal a Glock 21 but, depends on what I am doing. I no longer have the 380 as its no longer needed when I retire in two months.

The more physical activity I am doing the smaller the gun gets because I bump it or snag it on things or it pokes into me uncomfortably.
I can do almost anything with a appendix carried j frame as I can do without a gun on whether it be working with a tool belt or laying across my roof to trim a tree or on the creeper under my truck and reaching for tools,etc. Its also an easier access gun driving than a belt carried gun at 3:00 or farther back.
Sitting on the couch on my laptop the 642 in my sweatpants pocket is much faster than going to the safe or the table if someone decides to kick my door down and I don't have to be unarmed when I take the garbage out to the alley dumpster or when I take the dog out before bed. I can respond to things happening without the wasted time thinking about getting a firearm.

Yes, its a low capacity and relatively low energy firearm so I plan accordingly in my response. I don't pretend its just as effective as something else but, instead realize plan B with a j frame may need to be different than the G21 type of gun.

I am no more married to full size gun carry than I am minimalist carry. Its all about right tool for the job for me personally.
I carry weak hand accessible pepper spray now which is not some magic defense but, rather another option in the force continuum. Options are good.
I agree. I like the analogy of not being “ married” to bigger or smaller. While out here on the property working and being very active, less is definitely more. When I go to work in the concrete jungle sitting in my office at the desk with the AC on, a Colt 1911 IWB or AIWB carried G26 is not an issue.

As always, what you can actually do with what you are carrying is much more important than what you carry. You will see a lot of braggadocio about what people claim to carry, but damn few who ever demonstrates their skill level or are interested in training and tactics......

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I don't carry any weapons to mow the lawn, or carry at all when sitting around in the house. No pistols, no speed strips, no extra mags, no BUG, no pepper spray, no flashlight, nothing.
It's amazing that I'm still alive, eh?
Try that on my lawn! there are things there that bite! Today I was weed whacking up and down my driveway and along the road. I hit two snakes! Neither were very happy. DR

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Your probably young and ready to rock. I’m older and ready to sit down. After walking 7+ miles cutting grass I would definitely need an advantage if something went south around here. So far (knock on my bald head) things are quiet around here and I’ve never needed anything.
I think Senator Rand Paul said the same thing!

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Great shooting! Inside range we’ve been going too (near home) is nice cept they won’t allow head shots to the target. Not crazy bout that but they must have their reasons. You did very good 

The BG would be knoggin-less :image035:
Went to the Spring Guns and Ammo range along I45...they were letting veterans shoot for free for Memorial Day. Didn’t even know it until I went to pay. We’ll have to hit the range again soon.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I agree. Here is the way I look at it: Carry as much gun (and other stuff) as you can get away with; and a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45.
Um....:rolleyes:, biting my tongue here. Us folks that carry a .45, even if we do hit em a bit whoppie-jawed with our .45’s, same outcome. .357 can have that affliction too :yup:

i love it, fire fire fire !!! :danceban:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Try that on my lawn! there are things there that bite! Today I was weed whacking up and down my driveway and along the road. I hit two snakes! Neither were very happy. DR
Poisonous snakes? Ahh, don't bother shooting 'em. Just step back further away than they can strike, and you're fine. I'm in the woods all the time and see 'em a lot. If one does bite you, don't waste your time shooting it -- take care of yourself.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I don't carry any weapons to mow the lawn, or carry at all when sitting around in the house. No pistols, no speed strips, no extra mags, no BUG, no pepper spray, no flashlight, nothing.
It's amazing that I'm still alive, eh?

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Um....:rolleyes:, biting my tongue here. Us folks that carry a .45, even if we do hit em a bit whoppie-jawed with our .45’s, same outcome. .357 can have that affliction too :yup:

i love it, fire fire fire !!! :danceban:
I see that comment alot. It usually comes from people that have no or have limited experience shooting. I always want hammer them for their ignorance.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
:rofl: :sleep:

From the OP -- "And please...if you are a member of the “full size fighting pistol (sic) or nothing” brigade, or are a magnum caliber commando...don’t bother posting. We already know all your arguments.
Use the ignore button...

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
966 Posts
Wavy - not to worry, we'll have a grand wall, paid for by Mexico and NO ONE would try to climb over the wall. Underground now, that's different. Us idiot taxpayers who thought we were paying for improved military housing, training facilities, medical care, etc. are now paying for a 15th century answer to a 21st century problem with a WALL!:) What a joke! And a bad joke at that!

161 - 180 of 196 Posts