Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been flying around the news and internet. It looks pretty bad for the police, but I've learned never to judge something based on initial reports.

It will be interesting to see what the "cause of death" will be after the autopsy. (no, it won't be COVID for all you wiseguys :wink:)

Just a casual observation: if he was telling the police officers that he can't breathe...he can breath, otherwise he wouldn't be talking like he is in the video. He died several hours later at the hospital, so his trachea wasn't crushed.

From the article:

The Minneapolis police chief and mayor have announced that four Minneapolis, Minnesota police officers have been fired in the death of George Floyd, an African-American man who is seen on a viral video pleading that he can’t breathe as one officer presses his knee to Floyd’s neck.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/minneapolis-police-officers-fired-viral-video/

The rioting has begun.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I watched the entire video. It looks horrible for the police. He wasn’t even resisting when he was on the ground. I’m the first to back a police officer, but it looks like the officer knowingly applied entirely too much force in a way that was entirely unnecessary.

The point of holding a person down is to subdue them. When they are entirely subdued, you handcuff them and then go about your business. The other officer standing a couple feet away had his hands in his pockets at one point, IIRC.

Now if during a struggle, an officer has to drop a knee down right square on your face and it breaks an eye socket, that’s too bad for you. You shouldn’t have been resisting. I don’t know if I even agree with the regulations that police do have, such as not being able to choke people around their neck in a fight. When you’re trying to get someone handcuffed, it is potentially a life and death situation for the officer. That being said, this video shows what looks like an officer just being cruel and unreasonable, and knowingly using force for the purpose of punishing a person, and in the end, he died.

Looks like a murder to me. If not intent, definitely a manslaughter. But who kneels on a guys neck for minutes after he has gone unconscious and doesn’t expect them to die?

This is horrible and when all the facts come out, I hope justice is served.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
“I can’t breathe” doesn’t mean you cannot breathe...it means you are having difficulty breathing.

Have two people hold you down with your hands cuffed, while a third full-grown man kneels on your neck and let me know if you can articulate the difference.

There’s video from a store showing the events leading up to it...I’ve yet to see any violent resistance.

I generally support law enforcement, but this one...there’s no excuse. None.

Fact is, if any of us had done this to someone...we’d be behind bars.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I know looking at the cops face who had his knee on his neck all I saw was evil. And yes, we have been introduced, so I recognize the face. I will withhold any more comment until the investigation is done but, If I am right that cop needs to ride the lightening for murder.

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
The Minneapolis police chief and mayor have announced that four Minneapolis, Minnesota police officers have been fired in the death of George Floyd, an African-American man who is seen on a viral video pleading that he can’t breathe as one officer presses his knee to Floyd’s neck.
So in the minds of the mayor and the police chief they are guilty, no investigation, no trial just automatically guilty. What happened to due process or is it just trial by media. I would want an investigation as to what lead up to Floyd having to be restrained not a short clip that does not show the full story.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So in the minds of the mayor and the police chief they are guilty, no investigation, no trial just automatically guilty. What happened to due process or is it just trial by media. I would want an investigation as to what lead up to Floyd having to be restrained not a short clip that does not show the full story.
Normally I would agree with the part about "what led up to the arrest".

But this went on for like 10 minutes. The adrenaline and heat of the moment arguments are no good IMO.

The officer actually looked like he was enjoying himself. IMO there was no reason to keep that going on for ten minutes.

Yes, there should be an investigation, but tell ya what: the police unions do a great job of saving the jobs of LEO's.

Can someone say "redrum":wink:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just like any occupation, there are those who are good and those who are bad. This is exacerbated with the police because of the authority they have. The cops who are bad seem to not comprehend that they’re now being recorded constantly. Whether it’s a lack of intelligence, a sociopathic issue, or they just can’t help themselves...who knows. But this doesn’t help repair the relationship between the police and minority groups, or even those who value decency for that matter.

This looks like an overzealous bully committed murder. And given the temperature right now, he’s likely going to fry for it. And the others who stood there and didn’t do anything to stop him - their lives are over too. Their names have been published, so even if the courts side with them, they’re done.

I respect the police. But I’ve seen first hand what bad police can do to people, and these stories seem to be ever more frequent - likely because now there’s video proof. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to have stopped it.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
As usual, failure of "due process" will be what gets them reinstated with back pay. Look at the deputy who hid behind his squad car at the FL school shooting--failure to allow due process!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Some such incidents are the result of over reaction - which is understandable if not acceptable. Other times it seems to be the result of excessive force and abuse of authority - which is hard to understand and certainly unacceptable. When it ends in the loss of a life - it is tragic and maybe criminal. I don't know where this one will land - but I do know that someone has died in the process. JMO.

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
What does whatever led to him being restrained have anything to do with the LEO putting his knee into the back of his neck for 7 minutes?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Normally I would agree with you. However, a police officer is not allowed to execute a suspect no matter what just happened. We cannot allow that as a society. When someone is not resisting and you have a superiority of force there is no reason to continue applying potentially deadly force in a situation. What made it worse was that the crowd essentially told the officers they were killing this man, in a less than usual disruptive yelling way. Furthermore, the officer who was kneeling on the suspect didn't let off even after he went limp. Frankly, this is as close to overt murder as that cop shooting the crawling man with his rifle.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Judging from this video, the perp became unconscious and was clearly no longer resisting so it appears there was no longer any reason to pin him by the neck. The officer doing the pinning appears to have his hand in his pocket which indicates to me that he is not really concerned with resistance. I see no reason the perp couldn't have been easily 'cuffed and taken away. I will add that continuous pressure on the carotid artery is dangerous, which this officer should know.

I know we don't know the whole story here but I can't imagine mitigating details.

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Judging from this video, the perp became unconscious and was clearly no longer resisting so it appears there was no longer any reason to pin him by the neck. The officer doing the pinning appears to have his hand in his pocket which indicates to me that he is not really concerned with resistance. I see no reason the perp couldn't have been easily 'cuffed and taken away. I will add that continuous pressure on the carotid artery is dangerous, which this officer should know.

I know we don't know the whole story here but I can't imagine mitigating details.
Yes, I don't know why the police officer kept it up after that. It will be hard to argue that he was resisting arrest at that point, no matter what happened before.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I should've counted the number of times that citizen said "bro". Has to be a record.

While I like to see as much information as possible which led up to such incidents, of any kind, I am pressed to say that the actions of the police, particularly the squatter, were unconscionable in the least, and probably openly criminal. Would love to know what preceded this brutal response, but there are several things immediately apparent.

The individual was clearly under some level of control in that he was handcuffed. He appeared to be coherent and was not screaming and using foul language. The offending officer never relaxed his kneeing position, even after the man went unconscious. In fact, he appeared to be wrapped up in his behavior, perhaps to the point of enjoying it. Thank God this was recorded for later use. Again, jumping to conclusions is not a proper response. But it's hard to find any justification in the officers' actions here.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Trial by jury is for criminal issues, which Im sure the officer will face. As for firing them even if the guy didnt die and this wasnt a national story, but in another timeline the victim complained on the officers with the video that was taken, they should have still been fired. Even if the guy didnt die, and had nothing but a scraped up face and a sore neck, that officer's actions, even then, would be unbecoming of a law enforcement officer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have refused to watch...until now and I couldn't watch it all. Regardless of the official reason for cause of death....that officer was punishing him. What was his crime? Murder? Rape? Armed robbery? Nope. He lost his life for forgery/counterfeit bill.

I will reserve complete judgment until more facts are told but if the video is the accurate and he is found guilty by a jury of his peers.......I hope they send him to prison and place him in the general population and that goes for the other officers as well.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have refused to watch...until now and I couldn't watch it all. Regardless of the official reason for cause of death....that officer was punishing him. What was his crime? Murder? Rape? Armed robbery? Nope. He lost his life for forgery/counterfeit bill.

I will reserve complete judgment until more facts are told but if the video is the accurate and he is found guilty by a jury of his peers.......I hope they send him to prison and place him in the general population and that goes for the other officers as well.
He wasn’t even accused of that, or charged...he might not have even been the person that the call was about.

I’ve seen the phrase “contempt of cop” a bit lately...I wonder if that’s what he was tried, convicted, and executed for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
He wasn’t even accused of that, or charged...he might not have even been the person that the call was about.
You are correct....he was suspected. He looked like he might be the person. It's possible. Maybe.

But he definitely lost his life.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts