Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Minnesota powers that be have decided my Arkansas CCL is no longer good enough to allow me to carry in their state, even though it has been good enough the last 6 years that I've made an annual trip up there. Missouri and Iowa are still good to go, so I need to know what I must do with my weapons before crossing the line from Iowa into Minnesota. When I first learned of this I fired off letters to the governor and the attorney general of the state, letting them know how much I and 7 to 9 other guys who make an annual fishing trip up there enjoy the state and how much we spend. I also alluded to the fact that we were considering moving our trip to Wisconsin or some other state that would honor our CCL, which we were. Well, we love the place we go, the fishing is great and so are the folks there, so despite our threat, we're heading up there in a couple of months and I need to know the lowdown on how we need to handle storing our firearms before we cross the line into the state.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Ohio recently lost reciprocity with Minnesota as well over a do-nothing gun law that was enacted here.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
-
I wonder what changed in Arkansas laws that Minnesota didn't like? Was there anything changed related to prohibitions for criminal convictions and civil commitments? The training requirements still seem very similar.

Here is a link to a document on the Minnesota goverment servers that may address your concerns about traveling with a firearm in the state - http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssfiretrns.pdf

The Minnesota statute on carrying a firearm - https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

A link to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension's pages for the permitting process - https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/firearms-permit-to-carry.aspx

Good luck to you!

Reactions: samh

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
-
I wonder what changed in Arkansas laws that Minnesota didn't like? Was there anything changed related to prohibitions for criminal convictions and civil commitments? The training requirements still seem very similar.

Here is a link to a document on the Minnesota goverment servers that may address your concerns about traveling with a firearm in the state - http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssfiretrns.pdf

The Minnesota statute on carrying a firearm - https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

A link to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension's pages for the permitting process - https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/firearms-permit-to-carry.aspx

Good luck to you!
Post one explains the changes:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...r-oh-ok-tn-mo-now-permitless-carry-state.html

Reactions: samh

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just looked at "Handgunlaw.US" and this website indicated that a resident AR permit would be accepted in MI?

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
I just looked at "Handgunlaw.US" and this website indicated that a resident AR permit would be accepted in MI?
MI is the abbreviation for Michigan. MN is Minnesota.

Reactions: samh and LeanHard

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They need to update their information, this went into effect in late 2016. usacarry.com confirms that Minnesota no longer honors our CCL, also there were newspaper articles in several papers in Arkansas back when it happened. The Arkansas State Police, who are over Arkansas CCL, also confirm it.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
They need to update their information, this went into effect in late 2016. usacarry.com confirms that Minnesota no longer honors our CCL, also there were newspaper articles in several papers in Arkansas back when it happened. The Arkansas State Police, who are over Arkansas CCL, also confirm it.
Handgunlaw.us has accurate information posted.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm in the NAVY and originally from Minnesota. I go to the boundary waters every other year. My Texas CCW is no longer good. Life would be so much easier with national reciprocity. I'm pretty sure you need to have the gun unloaded and locked in a case with the ammo completely separate. Obviously look up the law to be sure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.045, prohibits transporting a firearm in a motor
vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and either (1) fully secured in a gun case
expressly made for that purpose, where the case is zipped, snapped, buckled, tied,
or otherwise fastened, or (2) in the closed trunk of the motor vehicle. Minnesota
law does not require that the gun case be locked.

This is what I've found, pretty straight forward about the firearm, but it doesn't say anything about magazines and/or ammo. Can a loaded magazine be in the same case as the firearm? Can a box of ammo be stored with the firearm? Or do they have to be in a separate storage in a different part of the vehicle, in this case it will be a crew cab truck pulling a bass boat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel your pain. I'm in the NAVY and originally from Minnesota. I go to the boundary waters every other year. My Texas CCW is no longer good. Life would be so much easier with national reciprocity. I'm pretty sure you need to have the gun unloaded and locked in a case with the ammo completely separate. Obviously look up the law to be sure.
Lake Vermilion is where we go, we stay at Pike Bay Lodge just west of Tower, MN. Great country, if I were 20 years younger I'd try the canoe trip up into the boundary waters out of Ely. At my age a nice bed and a bass boat are a safer choice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Last I checked Minnesota is one of Six States that does not have a 2nd Amendment Clause in their State Constitution - that should say it all and keep you from going there, but do not worry al shabaab is thriving well there.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.045, prohibits transporting a firearm in a motor
vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and either (1) fully secured in a gun case
expressly made for that purpose, where the case is zipped, snapped, buckled, tied,
or otherwise fastened, or (2) in the closed trunk of the motor vehicle. Minnesota
law does not require that the gun case be locked.

This is what I've found, pretty straight forward about the firearm, but it doesn't say anything about magazines and/or ammo. Can a loaded magazine be in the same case as the firearm? Can a box of ammo be stored with the firearm? Or do they have to be in a separate storage in a different part of the vehicle, in this case it will be a crew cab truck pulling a bass boat.
To the best of my knowledge there's no concern about ammo. This might help:

Transporting a firearm in your car in Minnesota - Andrew Rothman

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Last I checked Minnesota is one of Six States that does not have a 2nd Amendment Clause in their State Constitution - that should say it all and keep you from going there, but do not worry al shabaab is thriving well there.
But then, no-gun signs don't have force of law here, so we got that goin' for us. :wave:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you thought about applying for a non-resident permit?

As far as transporting your firearm and ammo, the ammo has to be out of reach of the firearm; meaning if you gun is cased in the back seat, the ammo needs to be in the bed of the truck or the boat. Maybe one day this state will be gun owner friendly.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
-

Here is a link to a document on the Minnesota goverment servers that may address your concerns about traveling with a firearm in the state - File not found - Minnesota House of Representatives

A link to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension's pages for the permitting process - https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...-to-carry.aspx

Good luck to you!
I understand that, but I couldn't find the exact changes in their law that engendered this...couldn't tell if the age exemption for those in the armed services was new. Certainly didn't see any (glaring) examples of differences in the training criteria.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
I understand that, but I couldn't find the exact changes in their law that engendered this...couldn't tell if the age exemption for those in the armed services was new. Certainly didn't see any (glaring) examples of differences in the training criteria.
Ohio recently enacted legislation allowing active duty service members to purchase handguns at age eighteen, which is contrary to Minnesota law.

Reactions: Doogie
1 - 20 of 26 Posts