Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2 pm CDT Missouri Governor Michael L. Parson will sign Missouri’s Second Amendment Preservation Act - HB85 - into law! Hallelujah!!!

From the bill:

All federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, rules, and regulations, regardless of whether they were enacted before or after the provisions of sections 1.410 to 1.485, that infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and Article I, Section 23 of the Constitution of Missouri shall be invalid to this state, shall not be recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall not be enforced by this state.”

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Way to go Missouri!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Notice that last line. "Shall not be enforced by this state."
Not the state's job to enforce federal laws to begin with. The feds do that themselves.

Not worded quite like the original. Notice how they say "invalid to this state" and not "invalid in this state."?
Looks like someone figured out they can't over rule federal law.
If the whole thing is reworded like that it is just like an immigration "sanctuary" law. Feds will keep doing what they have always been doing. State just won't help them do it.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
Kudos to my home state. They have been working on this for a while. This is the most comprehensive 2A sanctuary law yet. I hope it becomes a model for other states.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

The Second Amendment Preservation Act declares all federal laws, rules, orders or other actions which restrict or prohibit the manufacture, ownership and use of firearms, firearm accessories or ammunition exclusively in Missouri will not be enforced by state law enforcement, state municipal officials and other state officials.
From the author's press release.

Don't make the mistake those guys in Kansas made and think federal laws don't apply anymore.

·
Registered
552 Posts
All of these kinds of laws may serve the purpose of a rally cry, and there may be benefit in that. And they certainly help 2nd amendment supporting politicians stay in office. And there is a benefit in that.

But they also serve to manipulate the masses (us) into thinking that something is actually accomplished by these laws. And there may be cases where state law enforcement lean one way or another in interpreting particular situations in support of these state mandates. But at the end of the day the court system will just do what the court system does. If anyone thinks that the courts will just turn to and explicitly override the federal government based on what the state legislators assert, I don't think so.

But again, it's still a good rally cry and it does serve to keep pro 2nd amendment politicians in office.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
42,968 Posts

From the author's press release.

Don't make the mistake those guys in Kansas made and think federal laws don't apply anymore.
Do you really think this country is going to stand by and do nothing as the federal Gestapo charges in repeatedly to take control? Do you think We the People are going to take that?

As more and more states makes their statements against abolishing 2A, I can see the governors calling up the troops and militias to face the feds down. One state cannot, but united states can.

Reactions: craze

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
In the original version section 1.430 stated,
1.430. All federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, court orders,
2 rules, and regulations, whether enacted before or after the provisions of sections 1.410 to
3 1.485, that infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by
4 Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States and Article I, Section 23 of the
5 Constitution of Missouri shall be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state,
6 shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null, void, and of no
7 effect in this state.
The law as passed doesn't say that.
1.430. All federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, rules, and
2 regulations, regardless of whether they were enacted before or after the provisions of
3 sections 1.410 to 1.485, that infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms as
4 guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and Article
5 I, Section 23 of the Constitution of Missouri shall be invalid to this state, shall not be
6 recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall not be
7 enforced by this state.
This was obviously political grandstanding by the author. The original version gets all kinds of publicity and people rally around it. He knows it will never be law as written. It then gets amended into something that looks similar. Anyone who doesn't pay attention thinks what is becoming law was the original bill.
Instead of a six page bill with a page and a half of "justification" the entire bill could have simply been a single page stating, " State and local agencies are prohibited from enforcing federal laws relating to firearms, accessories, and ammunition. "

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do you really think this country is going to stand by and do nothing as the federal Gestapo charges in repeatedly to take control? Do you think We the People are going to take that?

As more and more states makes their statements against abolishing 2A, I can see the governors calling up the troops and militias to face the feds down. One state cannot, but united states can.
I'm a lib and can't see any possibility of the federal government knocking on doors and confiscating guns. The political might just isn't there as the current circus with the voting rights act is demonstrating. Until such time that the supporters of 2a (myself included) get down to something like 30% power instead of the 50% we have now, you won't see threatening changes in gun laws. Just lots of rhetoric, on both sides of the issue. You might see expansion around the fringes like background checks. But I doubt any of it will be enough to go to war about.

(I am of course referring to federal law.)

The hope, for me, is that the Supreme Court does its job and sets the record straight on what is permissible and what is not.

·
Registered
42,968 Posts
IThe hope, for me, is that the Supreme Court does its job and sets the record straight on what is permissible and what is not.
Careful what you wish for.

Reactions: alabamaguy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts