Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately, all this does is delay Constitutional Carry in Missouri. Both chambers have enough votes to override the veto when they reconvene in September. Nixon can't seek re-election and has nothing to lose by being an anti-gun liberal and going against the overwhelming view of the Missouri population.

Missouri governor vetoes bill to abolish concealed weapon permits - One America News Network

(Reuters) – Missouri Governor Jay Nixon vetoed a bill on Monday that would eliminate the need for a permit, training and background checks for persons who want to carry a concealed weapon in the state.

The Republican-led bill passed the Missouri House and Senate this spring with enough votes to override the veto when lawmakers convene in September. Two-thirds majority is required.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yes, the process is going pretty much exactly as expected. We knew the veto was coming, and know it will likely be overridden. This governor has had many veto's overridden. Hopefully this year MO voters will decide they've had enough of the "moderate" democrat governors and choose the almost certainly more 2A friendly republican nominee.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
He is a radical progressive whose veto will be overriden in September. We are fortunate that he cannot run for the governor's office again.

·
Super Moderator
16,882 Posts
Nixon, who cannot seek re-election this year due to term limits, said the law would allow people with criminal records, such as misdemeanor assault and drug possession, to automatically carry a concealed weapon.
The current laws do not prevent that anyway.

Reactions: OldVet and sdprof

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The same thing happened in NH....twice. Not enough votes for an override. I heard they are going to keep trying.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My only issue with constitutional carry is that the federal statute relating to a school zone has not been amended. So you're not covered under the "concealed permit" provision. Whether anyone has been prosecuted, I don't know. I bet some overzealous prosecutor would love to make an example of someone, even with a tack on charge.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
My only issue with constitutional carry is that the federal statute relating to a school zone has not been amended. So you're not covered under the "concealed permit" provision. Whether anyone has been prosecuted, I don't know. I bet some overzealous prosecutor would love to make an example of someone, even with a tack on charge.

Every state, except Vermont, offers some sort of permit.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Is Governor a Democrat?
Yes.

It's a shame but it's not unexpected. He's done this before and the Missouri voters overruled him by a large margin. He's obviously not acting on the will of the majority but rather his own party's platform.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
All they have to do with the FSZSA is make the distance larger from 1000 feet to say 5000 or 10,000 feet.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Then what's the point of constitutional carry if I still need a permit?
Right now Constitutional carry laws are state laws, so the permit is generally just for reciprocity with other states. Once enough states go to a form of Constitutional carry then they'll probably just start allowing it across the board and not just limit it to state residents.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Would Missourians still be able to get a permit so they could carry in schools?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Would Missourians still be able to get a permit so they could carry in schools?
Missouri's permit system will remain in place for those that want to maintain it, as I will do.

Reactions: joker1

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Glad they have enough votes to over-ride him.

Right now Constitutional carry laws are state laws, so the permit is generally just for reciprocity with other states. Once enough states go to a form of Constitutional carry then they'll probably just start allowing it across the board and not just limit it to state residents.
Ours, and I think Arizona's is not limited to residents. Anyone... stress "ANYONE" who is legal to own a gun.

AS far as carrying in the School Zones, you have to be a resident of that State even if a CC holder of a reciprocal State.

Reactions: joker1

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Vote is today that could override the Gov veto on SB656. Remember that the original vote on this bill was 101 YES, 28 NO & 33 Absent

MomsDemandAction are there at the capitol in force today.

If you are on Twitter, you can follow everything at #moleg and #SB656 https://twitter.com/hashtag/moleg?f=tweets&vertical=news&src=hash

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Glad they have enough votes to over-ride him.

Ours, and I think Arizona's is not limited to residents. Anyone... stress "ANYONE" who is legal to own a gun.

AS far as carrying in the School Zones, you have to be a resident of that State even if a CC holder of a reciprocal State.
School zone carry requires you to have a resident Kansas permit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts