Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Including the Custom and LCP II.. I spoke with Ruger today after a member here informed me of a possible wrong recoil spring in both my LCP Custom and LCP II.
The member told me, and the manual agreed with him, that there should be a tapered recoil spring in my guns. There isn't, the springs are straight,
. I called Ruger, they took a while to get it together, but told me that indeed, I had the proper springs in my guns, that the owners manual is in error, and that the springs are NOT tapered after a certain serial #,,, Also asked about jamming/feed issues within about 4o rounds after each cleaning, and they said to try Black Hills ammo, and if that doesn't help, call them... bob

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I installed the heavier recoil spring in my LCP and the spent shell would catch on the way out. I think that the slide was trying to act too quickly. I changed back to the original spring and that helped a lot. I polished the feed ramp to a glass shine with a dremel tool and used less oil when I clean it. After a few hundred rounds it got to where it never failed for a long time and then the extractor chipped right where the hook is that catches the shell. So it was hit and miss with the chipped extractor until I changed it out and now it is good again. Mine shoots anything that I run through it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
my LCP would not fire an entire mag with some kind of failure, I try the two mags that came with the gun plus two from the gun shop, once to Ruger, back the same way, it is scattered in pieces at the bottom of Florida bay, I could not sell or trade it knowing it will not work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my LCP would not fire an entire mag with some kind of failure, I try the two mags that came with the gun plus two from the gun shop, once to Ruger, back the same way, it is scattered in pieces at the bottom of Florida bay, I could not sell or trade it knowing it will not work.
Understood.. some have had problems with them, even some real headaches like yourself.. Most have had great luck..
Me personally, meh... I liked the Custom for carry, but overall have had pretty poor results on the range , unless the gun is absolutely squeaky clean.. Once a few mags are through it, it becomes undependable and balky.
Not good for a gun that one day you might need to save your life.. I was told by Ruger to run a brand of ammo through it that I have never seen for sale locally.. Don't know if thats how i want to continue.. I think the LCP Custom will be on its way out shortly.. The II seems somewhat more reliable... bob

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've had an older, original version and now own two of the newer gen-2's. Never had a problem with any of them, in any way. I have no interest in the wider, heavier II.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Doesn't the LCP II only run the six round magazines? That was what I read in the advertisement that somebody posted on here. I don't have any problems with the seven or ten round magazines in my gen 2. They seven just allows me to get another finger on the grip.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Doesn't the LCP II only run the six round magazines? That was what I read in the advertisement that somebody posted on here. I don't have any problems with the seven or ten round magazines in my gen 2. They seven just allows me to get another finger on the grip.
So far I have only seen 6 round mags for the LCP II witht the slide lock back feature

1 - 8 of 8 Posts