Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standing in line yesterday at Dollar Tree (maybe my first mistake LOL) I had a guy in front of me turn around glare at me and say "I know who you are, you're the guy that ran into me and ran off"
I politely smiled and said "no sir, I haven't been in an auto accident in quite a few years", The guy scoffed at my statement, got more belligerent and made a vague threat, to which i responded "that wouldn't be a good idea sir"
At this point my anxiety is skyrocketing (not really a confrontational type of person) as this is the first sort of incident I've ever been in, especially carrying lethal force. Luckily he finished his purchase and moved on out the door, the cashier and I had a short exchange about strange people and just ignoring them
i looked around carefully upon exit to make sure he wasn't lingering outside to continue the confrontation and luckily he was gone.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
All's well that ends well. My response would have been different than yours after the veiled threat. I don't take people issuing threats, veiled or otherwise, very well at all.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
I had a similar experience in San Pedro, California, a few years back. I was sitting eating lunch in a fast food restaurant. A guy came in off the street, walked right up to my table, and started screaming at me and threatening me. He claimed I was the son of a person he knew, and that the guy he referenced was a jerk (worse language) and so was I. He threatened to beat me up. I calmly told him he had the wrong person, but he kept screaming. Everyone in the restaurant just looked away. He followed me all the way out to my car and was still screaming as I drove off. I was not armed at the time and fortunately he did not lay a hand on me.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
He followed me all the way out to my car

A few tactical errors there I'd think. A public place is much preferred when you're the defender than some parking lot with a lot less eyes on the antagonist. Not to mention giving them your plate number which could then give them access to your residence.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All's well that ends well. My response would have been different than yours after the veiled threat. I don't take people issuing threats, veiled or otherwise, very well at all.
In my mental replay of the incident I actually questioned my response.

Reactions: carracer and AzQkr

·
Registered
10,674 Posts

A few tactical errors there I'd think. A public place is much preferred when you're the defender than some parking lot with a lot less eyes on the antagonist. Not to mention giving them your plate number which could then give them access to your residence.
Hindsight being 20/20, you're right. My thinking at the time was just to get out of there and away from this guy. The fast food place was on a very busy street, exposed on all sides. Since he never pushed me or touched me, or produced a weapon, I felt the best course of action was to get out of there. I was scheduled to get on a ferry boat to Catalina and did not want to wait for the police to show up. Fortunately, I never heard from or saw the guy again.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I have been mistaken for someone else more times than I can count, beginning when I was a young teenager and continuing to just a few years ago when a woman came running over to me in a strip mall parking lot, talking loudly, and only stopped when she was VERY close - to say she was so very sorry, she thought I was her mother in law!

And Gramps was almost arrested and almost taken into custody once many years ago because he looked exactly like a guy on a "most wanted" poster. Fortunately a phone call to a close friend who was a secret service agent got him off the hook, or he would have spent at least one night or more in jail.

We all look like someone else. Or a lot of other someone else's.

Even Old Vet, I bet.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Why wouldnt you just leave the store for awhile until he left if you thought it would leave to any physical altercation?

(This question occurs to me frequently on the forum)

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
4,084 Posts

With a nut case and the entire place has already ignored you? A nut isnt likely to be considering witnesses.

And you dont know they'll follow you...but that is dangerous of course.

I always view cars in a parking lot as islands to keep between me and a single attacker...and give me time to use phone, etc if necessary.

If I thought real violence was imminent, I would ask for a security guard or manager. But I realize that few man would ever consider this. OTOH, I have no idea why...is it unmanly? Me? Why do I need the hassles and legal issues that come from responding?

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
With a nut case and the entire place has already ignored you?

People may be unwilling to recognize the problem, but they "see" the problem, and make for more witnesses should there it develop to a physical confrontation.

A nut isnt likely to be considering witnesses.

I'm not concerned with whether he's considering them or not, I am. They are MY witnesses

And you dont know they'll follow you...but that is dangerous of course.

I know they can't follow me if I don't extricate.

I always view cars in a parking lot as islands to keep between me and a single attacker...and give me time to use phone, etc if necessary.

Don't count on that.

If I thought real violence was imminent, I would ask for a security guard or manager. But I realize that few man would ever consider this.

I'd consider dialing 911 and staying on the line while leo's respond while still seated having my meal. He can yell, cuss, scream all he likes after 911 is recording, just makes MY case for use of force should it be necessary before the leo's arrive.

OTOH, I have no idea why...is it unmanly? Me? Why do I need the hassles and legal issues that come from responding?
First one to dial 911 and report something happening is usually considered the vic. You have a phone, use it

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
First one to dial 911 and report something happening is usually considered the vic. You have a phone, use it
My interest is in not having the confrontation go further, not needing witnesses. Who wants to be dead, hurt, or buried in legal bills?

You're right, of course you cant count on anything, you have to play the situation out but that's why we have multiple plans. Unless physical force against me is imminent, I'd be leaving before calling 911...why call cops if not needed? Again, have to judge the situation.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
My usual witty one-liners aside, that right there.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
My interest is in not having the confrontation go further, not needing witnesses. Who wants to be dead, hurt, or buried in legal bills?

You're right, of course you cant count on anything, you have to play the situation out but that's why we have multiple plans. Unless physical force against me is imminent, I'd be leaving before calling 911...why call cops if not needed? Again, have to judge the situation.
Thing is, you're already being berated by an unknown, being accused of some slight to them. In todays world, I'd be preparing for a physical altercation, not hoping the scenario deescalated magically somehow. Anyone exhibiting an aggressive nature today better be taken as a serious potential imminent threat. I'm not prone to giving quarter and turning my back on an aggressive person whose object of attention is ME, let alone walk out and to the vehicle where the nut job can grab the plate number.

Inner circle security has to be maintained when confronted with aggression. Hoping the confrontation doesn't go further doesn't negate the risk of being physically attacked at any moment. Prepare for it, expect it, hope the leo's get there before the party starts.

ETA:

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/personal-space/

The law does not recognize a specific crime or civil action based on violation of personal space per se. However, the law does recognize various actions based on assault, harassment and unwelcome touching.

In this case, verbal assault.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Thing is, you're already being berated by an unknown, being accused of some slight to them. In todays world, I'd be preparing for a physical altercation, not hoping the scenario deescalated magically somehow. Anyone exhibiting an aggressive nature today better be taken as a serious potential imminent threat. I'm not prone to giving quarter and turning my back on an aggressive person whose object of attention is ME, let alone walk out and to the vehicle where the nut job can grab the plate number.

I am. If I can safely remove myself from the situation, I will. I have nothing to prove and only headaches (or worse) to gain. Nobody said anything about turning my back or dropping my guard. And I dont have to go directly to my car, I can go to another store, or whatever.

Even my time is worth more than calling 911 if I have to wait for the cops. And then charge 'verbal assault?' Oh for Lord's sake! Again, I have way better things to do than try to make that case...it would likely be seen as quite a waste of time on the part of LE.

I'm not dismissing the threat, I'm just removing myself from it if possible. No one says that means not being prepared for more.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A guy walked up to me in a store and yelled "your 6th grade teacher flunked me!" I simply walked away and left the store. Its not worth examining or trying to figure out. There are bat crap crazy people in this world and I put as much distance as I can between me and them. I agree with the earlier post that said to expect verbal to suddenly become physical... I think that is a good plan.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It really caught me off guard because he had had some type of positive interaction as I walked up with a young Hispanic lady and her kids. With people directly in line behind me and counters on both sides i felt pretty boxed in, at 6'4" he was a foot shorter than i but that really doesn't mean much as to ability though i reckon.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Standing in line yesterday at Dollar Tree (maybe my first mistake LOL) I had a guy in front of me turn around glare at me and say "I know who you are, you're the guy that ran into me and ran off"
I politely smiled and said "no sir, I haven't been in an auto accident in quite a few years", The guy scoffed at my statement, got more belligerent and made a vague threat, to which i responded "that wouldn't be a good idea sir"
At this point my anxiety is skyrocketing (not really a confrontational type of person) as this is the first sort of incident I've ever been in, especially carrying lethal force. Luckily he finished his purchase and moved on out the door, the cashier and I had a short exchange about strange people and just ignoring them
i looked around carefully upon exit to make sure he wasn't lingering outside to continue the confrontation and luckily he was gone.

I get that a lot. Might be because I look like a famous movie actor, so I'm told. :yup:

In your case, it could be that the guy was just a nut. :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I had a similar experience in San Pedro, California, a few years back. I was sitting eating lunch in a fast food restaurant. A guy came in off the street, walked right up to my table, and started screaming at me and threatening me. He claimed I was the son of a person he knew, and that the guy he referenced was a jerk (worse language) and so was I. He threatened to beat me up. I calmly told him he had the wrong person, but he kept screaming. Everyone in the restaurant just looked away. He followed me all the way out to my car and was still screaming as I drove off. I was not armed at the time and fortunately he did not lay a hand on me.
A quick call to 911 informing them of an assault in progress might have cooled his wheels.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
A quick call to 911 informing them of an assault in progress might have cooled his wheels.
It would have been a good idea. It just caught me so off guard guard I did not give that a lot of thought. And as I said earlier, I had a boat to catch and it would have been a big problem if I had missed it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts