Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in St. Louis Missouri and I can’t seem to find the CC laws of St. Louis. I know Missouri allows CC with a permit but what I’m not sure about is all the little cities/ neighborhoods in St. Louis. I know St. Louis is weird in the city of St. Louis has St. Louis city laws and St. Louis county laws…then there are laws that each neighborhood inside of the city or county has too.

For example: I think Manchester allows CC but Ellisvile doesn’t… both are in St. Louis county and both are adjacent to each other but one allows CC and the other doesn’t. This means that I could carry on one side of the street and be illegal on the other side of the street..
Does anyone know where to find the restricted areas in st. Louis?

I found the state laws here:
RSMO-Chapter 571

but it makes no reference to city ordinances…

·
Registered
632 Posts
Have you talked to your local LE officials? I'd imagine your Sheriffs office could help you out. Don't rely on internet forums for legal advice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Concealed Carry is legal everywhere in Missouri with a permit, individual municipalities cannot override State Law. Open Carry is a different matter, municipalities can ban it but there is no readily available database stating where it is not legal.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...there shouldn't be any...MO has a strong preemptive state law with the exception of allowing city gov'ts to regulate OPEN carry...look up the state law and see what it says...
...I don't rely on law enforcement agencies to tell me what the law says about matters...too many times, I've been given answers contrary to and more restrictive than the law...find it and read it for yourself...the Sheriff's office won't be in court with you, should you ever have a problem because of what "they said"...

I live in St. Louis Missouri and I can’t seem to find the CC laws of St. Louis. I know Missouri allows CC with a permit but what I’m not sure about is all the little cities/ neighborhoods in St. Louis. I know St. Louis is weird in the city of St. Louis has St. Louis city laws and St. Louis county laws…then there are laws that each neighborhood inside of the city or county has too.

For example: I think Manchester allows CC but Ellisvile doesn’t… both are in St. Louis county and both are adjacent to each other but one allows CC and the other doesn’t. This means that I could carry on one side of the street and be illegal on the other side of the street..
Does anyone know where to find the restricted areas in st. Louis?

I found the state laws here:
RSMO-Chapter 571

but it makes no reference to city ordinances…

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
...there shouldn't be any...MO has a strong preemptive state law with the exception of allowing city gov'ts to regulate OPEN carry...look up the state law and see what it says...
...I don't rely on law enforcement agencies to tell me what the law says about matters...too many times, I've been given answers contrary to and more restrictive than the law...find it and read it for yourself...the Sheriff's office won't be in court with you, should you ever have a problem because of what "they said"...
^^^this^^^ would be my answer as well, but I don't spend much time in STL, so I don't have any reason to test that. Political subdivisions can enforce open carry ordinances, but I do not believe that they can legislate concealed carry.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
From Handgunlaw.us
State Preemption

Cities and counties may not regulate any aspect of firearms, except open carry and discharge within the
jurisdiction. See the full statute for additional details.

Reactions: Ransom

·
Registered
19 Posts
CCW is legal everywhere in MO with a CCW permit. Only open carry can be limited by local government.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts