Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Bet that rattled their cage... :image035:
I was at Tan Son Nhut AB in '68 when the Bien Hoa bomb dump was hit and could see and feel the explosions of the large munitions stored there. Wasn't there one used during the Vietnam War that had to be C-130 dropped. IIRC it was used to create an LZ with one drop and might have been referred to as the Daisy Cutter. Many years later, I saw what I thought was that bomb when I was viewing a training film While attending a class for bomb assembly that had been damaged at Bien Hoa AB bomb dump when it got hit back in '68. The Airman disassembling it was using a shovel to remove the explosives from the damaged casing.

Reactions: molleur

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've been close when a three-ship of B-52s carpet bombed. It's quite an experience. I remember feeling pretty sorry for anyone under that. The infantry that went into the area later said that there was no trace of anything alive ever having been there. not even bones and teeth.

The overpressure on a MOAB would be pretty rough if you were in a confined area like a cave. Survivors would have ruptured eardrums and possibly some internal injuries. It would be interesting to see the aftermath and battle damage assessments.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Wait a second. What about the GBU-57A/B MOP? That one is stated to be carried by a B-2 and weighs 30,000 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
16,105 Posts
I was at Tan Son Nhut AB in '68 when the Bien Hoa bomb dump was hit and could see and feel the explosions of the large munitions stored there. Wasn't there one used during the Vietnam War that had to be C-130 dropped. IIRC it was used to create an LZ with one drop and might have been referred to as the Daisy Cutter. Many years later, I saw what I thought was that bomb when I was viewing a training film While attending a class for bomb assembly that had been damaged at Bien Hoa AB bomb dump when it got hit back in '68. The Airman disassembling it was using a shovel to remove the explosives from the damaged casing.
That was the BLU-82, a 15,000 pounder fitted with a fuse extension for an air burst about two feet off the ground to clear an LZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Where would we be in this fight if we were regularly using this 10 years ago?
It really doesn't have a lot of practical uses. In open country the blast wave dissipates pretty quickly outside of about a mile. It's mostly a blast weapon without a lot of fragmentation. In a valley or some kind of confined space it develops awesome overpressure.

The fact that it has to be delivered by a C-130 also limits its use. The AF is reluctant to put a C-130 in a high threat environment because it's not stealthy and is slow and not extremely maneuverable.

I suspect that the use of the MOAB might be a response to N Korea's planned nuke test, as well as the death of the special ops soldier in Afghanistan last week.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been close when a three-ship of B-52s carpet bombed. It's quite an experience. I remember feeling pretty sorry for anyone under that. The infantry that went into the area later said that there was no trace of anything alive ever having been there. not even bones and teeth.

The overpressure on a MOAB would be pretty rough if you were in a confined area like a cave. Survivors would have ruptured eardrums and possibly some internal injuries. It would be interesting to see the aftermath and battle damage assessments.
I know that feeling.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That will go a long way with the punk Pyongyang in North Korea. Wouldn't take but a small handful of those in North Korea to collapse everything he's got there.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
There's no way a C-130 would get anywhere near anything worth bombing in NK.
Absolutely true. That is why I brought up the GBU-57A/B. That is a real weapon, and evidently is routinely carried in the B2.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
glad they dropped it, and I hope it achieved the desired affect after the years of trouble that soldiers have had with ROE's and ordinance. Hopefully we will be getting back where we need to be. At the same time, if it didn't achieve the desired affect, the default fall-back justification of "the goal was to send a message" is getting old, and poorly thought out.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is Chu Lai Marine Ammo Dump still cooking off the next day. That end of the dump had the bombs in it. The picture was from Tet of 1968. If I recall it was a rocket that got it.
!cid_A7CE4C272A2F4431B98A588645B3F600@HaysAsusDesktop.png

1 - 20 of 59 Posts