Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I browse more than I post, but recently there has been a huge number of "adwalls" during my mobile browsing experience. You know, install this app before browsing the site? Or, congratulations, you've won a $1000 gift card? Those ones?

Unfortunately, they're mostly scams and there's no way to disable them in the mobile view on an iDevice, other than to switch to the standard desktop view.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same here...

"LOCKED CONTENT" & "Support our site by downloading one AWSOME FREE APP" (I'd post the screenshot, but apparently can't do that from my phone)

I switched back to the desktop view & got hit with that again! I gave up for a few days & it seems to be ok now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here...

"LOCKED CONTENT" & "Support our site by downloading one AWSOME FREE APP" (I'd post the screenshot, but apparently can't do that from my phone)

I switched back to the desktop view & got hit with that again! I gave up for a few days & it seems to be ok now.
I switched back to mobile view last night to see if the problem went away. It didn't.

Adwalls inhibit the ability to use a site (mostly mobile), until the user complies with the demands of the adwall. Download an app, take a quick survey, you've won a free gift card, and the likes. They prevent the user from accessing the site until terms have been met.
Unfortunately, in most cases, the adwalls don't go away. You can download their app, you can take the survey, but you're not getting in. It's a ruse, if you will, that they will permit you access to to the site once you've completed the requirements. On apple devices in particular, there's no way for the advertiser to verify that you have an app installed on your phone unless you install a network profile, and if an advertiser ever asks you to install one, I strongly advise against it.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I switched back to mobile view last night to see if the problem went away. It didn't.

Adwalls inhibit the ability to use a site (mostly mobile), until the user complies with the demands of the adwall. Download an app, take a quick survey, you've won a free gift card, and the likes. They prevent the user from accessing the site until terms have been met.
Unfortunately, in most cases, the adwalls don't go away. You can download their app, you can take the survey, but you're not getting in. It's a ruse, if you will, that they will permit you access to to the site once you've completed the requirements. On apple devices in particular, there's no way for the advertiser to verify that you have an app installed on your phone unless you install a network profile, and if an advertiser ever asks you to install one, I strongly advise against it.
Did you by any chance follow the link I posted above to a thread already running about adwalls and the problem you were having? There is a post by a board admin asking for input. You may have better luck in that thread and addressing it with that admin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts