Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know from some previous posts..I'm itching for a new J-Frame. The "Colonel"(my wife)says I have to save up, or sell something(nothing to sell..my handgun collection is 4 guns!)in order to pay for it. I would like a NO-Lock 442 or 642, but figure they might be gone as brand new guns by the time I have the cash. My "fall-back" gun is a Model 42, because of the lack of lock due to the grip safety. What do you think?? Sound logic?:confused: I'm big-time against the ILS so choices are slim,especially when it comes to NEW guns. Thoughts????:smile:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'd love a model 42. What's not to like? Enough weight to firepower ratio to make accurate, fast follow up shots very do-able, yet light enough to ride comfortably in a pocket or ankle rig, +p rated, so a wide variety of ammo can be fired thru it, enough gun to be a primary, compact enough to be a secondary or hide out gun.
And, it has a very classy and 'classical' S&W jframe look.
So again, what's NOT to like?

dan

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
That's why I bought my M42, no dang ugly lock on it.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
As you know from some previous posts..I'm itching for a new J-Frame. The "Colonel"(my wife)says I have to save up, or sell something(nothing to sell..my handgun collection is 4 guns!)in order to pay for it. I would like a NO-Lock 442 or 642, but figure they might be gone as brand new guns by the time I have the cash. My "fall-back" gun is a Model 42, because of the lack of lock due to the grip safety. What do you think?? Sound logic?:confused: I'm big-time against the ILS so choices are slim,especially when it comes to NEW guns. Thoughts????:smile:
Is your concern with the lock mainly aesthetics or reliability? If you are worried about the lock malfunctions that have been reported, it's easy enough to disable the thing on a S&W and make it a non issue. This doesn't do anything for the unsightly hole however if that is your concern. I just don't trust the lock and have disabled mine for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both..but reliability is the main concern. An answer looking for a question in my opinion. If it comes down to it, I'd buy an older J-Frame in excellent condition and send to Smith for a once over. My preference though is for a new gun.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The new model 42 is a great gun. How did the Colonel find out about the other three guns? Never tell about more than one. You are just test firing/cleaning the others for a friend.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two 1911's are P.W.(Pre-Wife)..the Glocks are from the old job,which was after I was married. The Colonel is NOT anti-gun, she just thinks I have enough! Foolish girl!!:danceban:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
4 guns is bare minimum...

The "Colonel"(my wife)says I have to save up, or sell something (nothing to sell..my handgun collection is 4 guns!) in order to pay for it.
Four guns is not enough! You need more than that to have a good selection.

Regarding the airweight J frame you want without a lock - you should keep your eyes open for a good used one. You will eventually find one if you are patient. I wouldn't wait for S&W to make you a new one without the lock, because you might have a long wait.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Thats why ya marry a girl who is pro gun as I you are...like I am. As long as there is money after bills she has no problems with buying all the guns we can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts