Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got ambitious tonite and modified my Red dot to operate on a remote tape switch only. I can still select the brightness, but no worries over leaving the dot on, or having to dial it on before shooting. Will solder and seal it right once I get the right solder gun. This should make AR operation much quicker and easier.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Red dots are really getting popular nowadays. Lots of them at the SHOT Show.... :cool2:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rocky,
Are you fabricating this yourself or are you working with some kind of kit?

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fabricating. Am gonna try to offer a kit , as too many manufacturers of red dots out there. Its not all that hard to do.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update with pic

ok here is my AR ,BSA red dot and modified tape switch. Also my Carbon is modified with a tele stock and 4 railed handguard.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the contacts anyway.Also had to isolate the battery with a trimmed piece of plastic. No my AR isn't broke, lol , I wanted to show how the buffer and spring were replaced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
just a question about how 'ninja' your setup is. how does the BSA hold up during rapid fire? granted, i'm not likely to have to dump 20 or 30 rounds at a hostile target, but does it hold its zero pretty good?

i have tried the trijicon reflex and tripower on a friends ebr's, and was impressed with the tripower. then i did a side-by-side comparison with the eotech 512, and in the end decided the tri-power was my favorite.

your BSA kit probably costs 1/10 what i paid for my optic.

i've never been good at making decent financial decisions though. the eotech was far cheaper than the tripower, but i liked the idea of not needing battery power so long as i have ambient light during the daytime for the fiberoptic coil, and a chem stick to match up with the tritium lamp for low-light.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The BSAs (and Tascos and the other 30mms all made by the same companies) hold up on the ARs pretty well. When you start putting them on FALs and other units, failure rates approach 25% or more in the first mag. When failures occur, a chronic inability to hold zero or a broken solder joint seem to be the one and two most common problems I've seen.

I have Hakkos on the guns I have to have work when I need them to work.

The biggest difference past reliability is battery consumption - the cheaper dots go through batteries. I don't replace them hardly ever on the expensive models, and the even higher priced Aimpoints etc go for thousands of hours.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Batteries seem to last in my red dots. As far as durability goes, So far the BSA has held zero well and kept working. Even rapid and bump firing . Some possible cold weather issues, will have to see next time its cold out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts