Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From NRA today -

Florida SB-206, HB-129, and HB-125 Update!

SB-206 & HB-129 have been introduced in Florida and are Supported by NRA and Unified Sportsmen of Florida. SB-206, by Senator Durell Peaden (R-2) (Identical HB-129), "prohibits specified persons, employers, and business entities from establishing, maintaining, or enforcing any policy or rule that prohibits a person from parking motor vehicle on property set aside for such purpose when secured firearm or firearms are being lawfully transported and stored in the motor vehicle;and provides for specified immunity from liability for businesses." SB-206 amends 790.25, 27.53.

Read More: http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1755

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, I'll tell ya,Fla.is a very pro gun/carry state,and becoming more and more pro gun/carry every day. There are things that I don't like about this state,but all in all it's pretty pro huntin',shootin',carry,and all else pertaining to guns. BTW the new law takes effect tomorrow. (We will not be required to retreat when met with force but can respond with like force. That includes public places.Wally World,Sears,Burger King,etc.)It is called the new,expanded "Castle Doctrin". My hats off to the law makers and the Fla. voter.---------

·
Registered
726 Posts
The new law is a major step forward for common sense and 2nd Amend. rights. Hurrah for the Fla. Legislature.
Now the crap is starting. The Brady bunch is passing out flyers at airports warning tourists that nervous Floridians can shoot them. I've never even thought about shooting anyone-------but those liars surely do tempt a man.

·
Super Moderator
13,231 Posts
You guys are certainly gettin' it right! Now if you could just get rid of the CCW thing. CCW permitting simply converts a right into a state granted privilege. But one thing at a time! You're doin' good!

·
Registered
686 Posts
LEO...

it's actually very happy news that they are posting. we can only hope that our two states follow suite... (i'm in NJ...and it's the same story as CA)....

Oh well... maybe eventually people will get smarter :)

--Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
I looked through it, but I'm note sure if the following is addressed. A friend of mine is an administrator at a public school. Currently, firearms are not permitted on school grounds, or within 1000 feet of school grounds. I'm curious if it is now ok for him to keep his carry piece locked in his vehicle. I've read through the bill twice, but I still don't know what to tell him. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LM73 - hard to know - that does bring up a good point.

Maybe some inquiries thru AG - certainly some clarification needed by sound of it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
1000 feet??

LMarshall73 said:
Currently, firearms are not permitted on school grounds, or within 1000 feet of school grounds.
I'm curious as to your reference to the "1000 feet from school grounds" law. I can't find any language like that in the Florida statutes.
Thanks,

·
Registered
244 Posts
It could be one of those urban legend deals, but I swear my CCW instructor mentioned it. I have the FL Firearms Laws book, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now, maybe later. Anyway, I remember the fecal matter nearly hit the rotating oscillator a while back when some, uh hum, individual suggested that the 1000' rule should apply to residences where children are home schooled as well. Ended with the legislature said a big "don't think so."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
From the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Licencing Division, which quotes the relevant Florida law. It precludes carry in "school administration buildings", "any elementary or secondary school facility" and "any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms". Google definitions defines "facility" as "a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry; 'the assembly plant is an enormous facility'"... not sure if a parking lot would count or not. Any chance you could ask the principal for permission to keep the firearm in your car? Permission might make it a moot point.

790.06(12) - No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any area vocational-technical center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s 775.082 or s. 775.083.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I hope it passes and then starts passing in other States.. Right now there working on getting a Castle Doc passed here Antis are throwing a Fit

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
I think the 1000 feet rule was thrown away but don't quote me on this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
older gunner said:
The new law is a major step forward for common sense and 2nd Amend. rights. Hurrah for the Fla. Legislature.
Now the crap is starting. The Brady bunch is passing out flyers at airports warning tourists that nervous Floridians can shoot them. I've never even thought about shooting anyone-------but those liars surely do tempt a man.
The Brady Bunch has gone so far as to place ads in major newspapers (London, New York, Dtroit etc) stating that is is now OK for a Floridian to shot you just for arguing and warning them they will not be safe if vacationing in Florida. Truth is, crime has been dropping here for 13 consecutive years and that may be because of our gun laws. This attempt at economic blackmail represent a new escalation of the anti-gun battle. The local Florida Today ran an editorial this weekend echoing the Brady sentiments. What a POS, if it wasnt the ONLY newspaper I can get delivered every morning, I would drop it (gotta read the funnies).

·
Registered
244 Posts
So far, I have managed to get completely pissed at every local news broadcast discussing the proposed bill. So far, they're only focussing on workplace violence, not the right to self defense while commuting to and from work. They've even run a lead in that included "Bring your gun to work day". Then again, John Gibson (Fox News) did give the Brady folks a bit of credibility a week or so ago by mentioning the new FL law and recommending that people evacuating from Rita or relocating from Katrina take the new law into consideration before coming to Florida...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Forgot to mention this, and I'm happy the Castle Doctrine got expanded in Florida, but Colorado has no duty to retreat either... and hasn't at least since 2003, maybe longer (I'm a Colorado transplant from the PRKalifornia).

If anyone runs across those Brady types could you ask them to mention Colorado as well as Florida? Shorter lift lines in Vail would be a good thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts