Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were several people with (gasp!) guns openly carried near an even attended by President Obama in Arizona.

Good for them. See the article and video links below.

ARTICLE

VIDEO

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I understand that one guy (hopefully anyone with a gun) had a gun that was...gasp, gasp...loaded. :blink: :blink: :gah: :gah: :ticking: :ticking:

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
PHOENIX (AP) - About a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, milled among protesters outside the convention center where President Barack Obama was giving a speech Monday—the latest incidents in which protesters have openly displayed firearms near the president.
The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.
Interesting how it suddenly changes from a military-style rifle to an evil assault weapon in just four paragraphs.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good for him. I am glad the secret service kept their hands off. Plus the guy being black, people could not say his motives was racist.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Finally! People are starting to stand up again and fight for what is right. Lets hope it continues!

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
My only hope is that all this is part of a "true awakening" in America.

Apathy has had a stranglehold on this country for more than a generation and this country is at a precipice! A lot of people don't think that is true, but it is.

This health care initiative has nothing to do with health care and everything to do with a final push for the government to circumvent the Constitution in order to gain control over virtually every aspect of our lives.

Tea Parties, Town Hall meetings, opposition to the government run health care, bailouts against the will of the populous, Czars taking control of payroll for private business. We really are facing the brink of a total change of our way of life and loss of liberty.

As long as this wave of public outcry does not fade... we may be able to turn back the tide.

I pray that we can do it!

In the words of that "Great Orator, Obama, The Chosen One..." I say...

Yes We Can, Yes We Can!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Assault Rifle carried at Obama protest in AZ

azcentral.com blogs - : Man with assault rifle at Obama rally sparks concerns

Panic! Man with a gun! :ahhhhh:

"Because I can do it," Chris said when asked why he brought guns to the rally at 3rd and Washington streets. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms left."

Amazing someone carried a loaded gun and it didn't kill anyone.....weird.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good on you, Chris. He never said a lot but standing there exercising his 2nd Amendment rights spoke profoundly. dude, whoever you are, that took some brass ones.

I was surprised though that the so called assault weapon didn't kill or harm anyone. the left is incredulous that what Chris did is a sacred, protected right in our country.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
He did nothing Illegal,I'm surprised they didn't point out all the cars with drivers that could potentially ram the presidential limo.I guarantee you the SS was in civvys close enough to Ma Bell (Reach Out And Touch)him if necessary.What they will never know is how many people were CCing at the rally

·
Super Moderator
19,387 Posts
Interesting how it suddenly changes from a military-style rifle to an evil assault weapon in just four paragraphs.
Worse than that, one local news-babe described it on the air as a "machine gun."

·
Registered
459 Posts
More carrying at Presidential events

Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest -- and it's legal - CNN.com

PHOENIX, Arizona (CNN) -- A man toting an assault rifle was among a dozen protesters carrying weapons while demonstrating outside President Barack Obama's speech to veterans on Monday, but no laws were broken. It was the second instance in recent days in which unconcealed weapons have appeared near presidential events.

Phoenix police said authorities monitored about a dozen people carrying weapons while peacefully demonstrating.

"It was a group interested in exercising the right to bear arms," said police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill.

Arizona law has nothing in the books regulating assault rifles, and only requires permits for carrying concealed weapons. So despite the man's proximity to the president, there were no charges or arrests to be made. Hill said officers explained the law to some people who were upset about the presence of weapons at the protest.

"I come from another state where 'open carry' is legal, but no one does it, so the police don't really know about it and they harass people, arrest people falsely," the man, who wasn't identified, said in an interview aired by CNN affiliate KNVX. "I think that people need to get out and do it more so that they get kind of conditioned to it."

Gun-toting protesters have demonstrated around the president before. Last week, a man protesting outside Obama's town hall meeting in New Hampshire had a gun strapped to his thigh. That state also doesn't require a license for open carry.

U.S. Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan acknowledged the incidents in New Hampshire and Arizona, but said he was not aware of any other recent events where protesters attended with open weapons. He said there was no indication that anyone had organized the incidents.

Asked whether the individuals carrying weapons jeopardized the safety of the president, Donovan said, "Of course not."

The individuals would never have gotten in close proximity to the president, regardless of any state laws on openly carrying weapons, he said. A venue is considered a federal site when the Secret Service is protecting the president and weapons are not allowed on a federal site, he added.

In both instances, the men carrying weapons were outside the venues where Obama was speaking.

"We pay attention to this obviously ... to someone with a firearm when they open carry even when they are within state law," Donovan said. "We work with our law enforcement counterparts to make sure laws and regulations in their states are enforced."

·
Registered
210 Posts
Am I the only dude who has reservations about this incident? I really don't want to start a "food fight" over open carry. Where permitted, it's a personal choice, and I support that choice. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in carrying openly, because I think it's tactically unwise.

Beyond that, carrying openly adjacent to a presidential event/appearance doesn't really help our cause...at least I don't think it does. It makes it very easy for media persons to twist the right of carry into an implied threat. Also, know that Secret Service even designates snipers to cover local law enforcement as a regular part of their protection. (Wanna bet the dude with the AR had cross-hairs on his person the entire time he was wandering around?)

Finally, given the high emotions on both sides of Town Hall and related events, the last thing I want is some kind of tinderbox situation turning violent. No one can think that will help our cause.

Just some thoughts. Now I'll put on my Nomex suit (grin).

PC

·
Registered
434 Posts
Am I the only dude who has reservations about this incident?
I have to agree with you on this one. I think (like posted in the other thread by another member) that, even if your intentions are good and trying to further a cause, you're sucking up resources needed to focus on potential BG's in the area. OMO.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What you wanna bet that every one of these guys are now on a government Watch List????

1 - 20 of 135 Posts