Defensive Carry banner

More Important In A Carry Gun: Weight or Physical Size

• Physically smaller gun that weighs more, smaller capacity.

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • Physically larger gun that weighs less, larger capacity.

Votes: 62 50.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reached an unexpected conundrum in deciding which is the right gun out there for carrying everyday.

I need to get something lighter than the XD .45 I've been carrying for a while now. With a full mag it's quite heavy. Being a fan of the XD I thought their sub-compact would be the way to go when I discovered it's not a whole lot lighter than the .45, albeit smaller in dimensions.

Which lead me towards the Smith & Wesson M&P series. Much lighter and love the no manual safety like the Glock and XD. I thought for sure I wanted to get their 12 round 9MM when I held the Sigma 16 round 9MM. The grip was excellent and amazingly it felt light to me than the M&P with the shorter barrel. The guy behind the counter actually had a digital scale and I was dumbfounded to find out the shorter 12 M&P weighed more than the 16 round full grip version.

So the poll question I have is what's more important to you when it comes to an everyday carry gun. A smaller gun that weighs more and smaller capacity or a physically larger gun that weighs less with higher capacity in the same caliber.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Question: How often do you really need to pull that big heavy pistol? Maybe all the weapons you are considering are not practical for your situation.

I went with smaller lighter gun for better concealment. Depending on the area and risk assessment nearly all the time I only need small and light. P3AT from Kel Tec fits the bill a very high % of the time, and while it is only a 380 it goes bang every time and shoots to point of aim. If situation calls for it I just move up in caliber, size, and weight.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I went smaller...which is what I do...smaller is easier to conceal.:yup:
Less capacity...carry more mags...:yup:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
C. Usefulness in a fight.

Carry the gun you want to have in your hand when someone is trying to kill you. That's why you're carrying it, after all.
Wife and i both carry P3ATs and both shoot well, however wife shoots better than me,

It would have to get really bad for us to move up in caliber and weight and size, and then we would use P3AT as BUG.

If someone was trying to kill me or wife we both feel adequately armed with small and light.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Given the two choices. Loaded weight with holster is what makes a difference to me. Weight is what makes the carry comfortable or burdensome over the long term. You can conceal anything. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I suppose weight is a factor for me but I've comfortably carried a 5" 1911 or a GP100 in the past. These days though, it's a Glock 19 that comes in around 30 ounces loaded. With 16 rounds, it's a couple ounces lighter than your XD is empty.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
C. Usefulness in a fight.

Carry the gun you want to have in your hand when someone is trying to kill you. That's why you're carrying it, after all.
+1
A brief post, but an excellent point.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Well... if a pistol is too heavy or big many times its a holster issue. You forgot to mention type which would attribute to shape. I carry a m&p45c around all the time and with the CTAC holster in the 3:00 position its not nearly as noticable as when I use to have a cheap OWB or uncle mikes holster.

Your CCW tool should be something you can shoot well and hide well. Size, weight and shape requirements will vary from person to person. It also depends on HOW you carry it. I have seen a 130lb. chick CCW a freekin desert eagle .357! She had a sholder holster that attached to her belt in several places. With a cover garment you honestly couldn't tell. The Limalife lady on youtube carries a full size 1911 with tight clothing. Yeah their... umm... features did a lot to help hide those big guns but it goes to show with the right holster you can CCW just about anything.

With smart carry and thunderwear you can CCW a whole heck of a lot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can't decide. My idea of size and weight is different from some people. And there seems to be a direct correlation. Smaller guns weigh less. But not all small guns are equal. I've seen .380s that weigh more than my G26. There would simply be no point in carrying that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Medium size, medium weight, BIG BORE! G30 or Combat Commander.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My attempt to answer your poll...

Here's my EDC choice: I can carry my Glock 27, (smaller and lighter) all day in an OWB pancake holster. It has decent capacity, 10 rds in the gun and another 10 in a + 1 mag on my side. In my opinion, I think this handgun type, Glock 26-27 is ideal meeting several requirements, size, weight and capacity.

In the colder months with a jacket or vest I will alternate carrying my XD .45 compact, 10 rds in the mag with an extra 13 rds on my side, OR my Glock 22 with 16 rds + an extra 15. They are not as comfortable, so I choose them depending how long I'll be out and about.

I had my XD before I bought the G 27 and it was the lighter weight of the Glock that kept me from buying an XD sub-compact .40.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Although it wasn't an option on your poll, I went with small AND lighter. Since the purchase of my Kahr, my other guns see alot of darkness in the safe.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I use to carry a full-blown custom 1911, a Glock 36 and many others’ and now a snub(s). I gave up the 1911 for its size on my frame was too hard to conceal. I gave up the Glock… for no good reason, and I settled on the 640 due to its reliability and inherent safety.
Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess what I really wanted to find out, without getting into specific guns, is the first priority they weight of the gun, and the size of the grip and barrel second. Or vice versa, a physically smaller gun with a short barrel and small grip but weigh a little more as it's the current decision I'm trying to make.

The one gun has a very short grip, short 3 inch barrel, comparable in size to a baby glock, very concealable. Still holds 12 rounds, nice. But the other gun I'm looking at has a larger grip, not like 1911 big, but almost an inch longer than the other one. It also has a 4 inch barrel as well but amazing it weighed less than the much smaller 3 inch barrel.

So do you think it's easier to conceal and carry the physically smaller one or the one that weighs less. Size or weight, which is better for everyday carry??? Everything else being equal.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I guess what I really wanted to find out, without getting into specific guns, is the first priority they weight of the gun, and the size of the grip and barrel second. Or vice versa, a physically smaller gun with a short barrel and small grip but weigh a little more as it's the current decision I'm trying to make.

The one gun has a very short grip, short 3 inch barrel, comparable in size to a baby glock, very concealable. Still holds 12 rounds, nice. But the other gun I'm looking at has a larger grip, not like 1911 big, but almost an inch longer than the other one. It also has a 4 inch barrel as well but amazing it weighed less than the much smaller 3 inch barrel.

So do you think it's easier to conceal and carry the physically smaller one or the one that weighs less. Size or weight, which is better for everyday carry??? Everything else being equal.
It's hard to seperate the two, size and weight. Concealing a handgun has more to do with size than weight. Carrying comfortably (for me) has more to with weight than size. A small gun can be more easily concealed regardless of how much it weighs. A heavy gun will be more uncomfortable as the day goes on, possibly encouraging you to leave it at home once you get tired of the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't pocket carry, or shove a gun in a bag stuffed down the front of my pants my pants, but I do carry IWB always when not working (which results in an Airweight carried OWB under a cover shirt). To me, a self defense weapon is for personal protection for myself, or those immediately in my charge. I figure the idea of a blazing battlefield gunfight is probably not on the top of the possibilities list, but do feel the need to be prepared for the more likely scenerios of a single attacker or two. I don't feel like a roll over waiting for a place to happen when I carry my compacts... the main four are Kimber Compact Stainless, Sig P239, Kahr CW9 and S&W 637. Two of the four are on the heavy side of the modern weight to size comparison, but carry extremely well. The other two are on the light side, and carry equally as well. I do find the much slimmer Kahr to be much more comfortable IWB than the Sig, especially since my wife is obviously making all my jeans shrink in the dryer. But, the weight really isn't much of a factor. In the field, where my occupation takes me, I have found that a high ride pancake holstered revo is much more comfortable than IWB considering the active nature of my work. And, in this particular case, not only smaller, but lighter is a high priority as I carry a multitude of other tools on my belt and in my pockets. For me, the weight on my semi-autos isn't as big a factor as the overall width, and even though it isn't relevent to the original question I tend to stick with single stack handguns that fit my hand.

surv

·
Registered
9 Posts
For me, I would have to go with the size. I need it to fit my hand. If a pistol is too small, being able to hold it and hit the target becomes an issue. I can deal with the extra weight to make sure the grip fits my large hands.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Neither answer fit for me. I like a light weight Commander sized 1911! :image035:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts