Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two kicks to the front door... would have been one kick, if the deadbolt weren't engaged... Perimeter alarms at the edge of the property might have bought enough time to respond if the alarm would have aroused everyone.. But reinforced door jambs would have bought more time...

Time= distance--- to be further away from the point of attack... the converse is true... Distance=time time to prepare defense.

Of course, sleeping in the primary area of most home invasions, the front door... isn't the best policy.... but I suppose, that was the room that had the ceiling fan...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Time. Crucial in order to be sufficiently prepared to meet the onslaught.

And time can be bought by being forewarned of the assault, slowing the assault, barring the assaulters from getting close enough to do damage.

Strange, how few people "out there" in the general population think it through. Of course, many simply cannot afford (or don't make the effort to afford) basic changes that can help "buy" time in these ways. Simple use of technology can help. Having a dog helps many. Putting in security-grade doors help. Having a safe (or at least safer) area of the home can help, ie by having a barred entry hallway or doorway to the sleeping area(s). Ensuring we have our communications nearby, our defensive tools nearby. Ensuring we don't sleep in utterly unprotected zones of the house (like right next to the unsecured front door). Ensuring we don't sleep utterly unarmed and incapable of quickly getting to our defensive tools.

Lots of little improvements can be had all over the place. Most of us have considered many of these things and implemented as many as make sense and can be afforded. Most of us appreciate the basic risks of failure in these key areas.

In this case, the folks are lucky. There were four assailants; they were armed; they worked in concert, and aggressively; they failed to press the issue, when confronted despite their weaponry. Could easily have turned into a multi-murder scene, had they just had a bit more gumption. Apparently, didn't speak English, either, which would have complicated certain aspects. Although .357mag, 9mm and .45ACP is spoken everywhere, in that regard.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is the kind of thing that is becoming all too common. I have reinforced some of my doors already and will be making other changes (one little project per paycheck) and I'm more comfortable with where things stand in terms of home security.

I live in a decent neighborhood, but that's no guarantee.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
These kind of things are becoming increasingly popular. It's scary to think about but home defense needs to be addressed and many homeowners just ignore it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
My strategy is to keep the entryway so cluttered that the bg's are likely to sprain their ankles in the dark. At least, that's what I tell the wife when she complains about my boots being in the way.

In seriousness, this is an important topic, all the more so if you have family to worry about.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, how do they get in?

Somewhere, I read that 70% of the time, they come in the same way we do... Through the front door... And, if we're diligent, we lock the front door, knob and deadbolt, when we leave. When we come home, if we enter through such a locked door, it probably takes us more time to get in than it takes the bad guys (unless the jamb is reinforced). Couple of kicks to get in... 2 seconds, tops.

Here's another example: http://www.katc.com/mobile/news/home-invasion-in-iberia-parish/

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I have decorative barred steel security storm doors both front and back, and am armed unless I'm in the shower. :yup: My next door neighbor has a dog that barks whenever anyone walks down the street or the alley behind our houses. I love it! Great warning system and I don't have to feed it or pay the vet bills.:yup: Even so, I'd like to install a security/camera system when I can come up with the money.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
It's actually harder to get out of my house than into it. It's hard to get into, but the delay in exiting allows for proper Tango acquisiton and sight alignment......................

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is all very good information, my wife wonders why I lock are heavy glass door, then dead bolt and lock the regular door. I also have a 14 pound pom that sleep close to the front door. He does not make much noise, but he has like super hearing and will perk up if there is a car out side. At 3 AM one night he went crazy, grab the glock, kept the lights off, he went slient, and I saw two white males park infront of my house getting out. (I live in a nice area, but you never know)

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I also have a 14 pound pom that sleep close to the front door. He does not make much noise, but he has like super hearing and will perk up if there is a car out side.
So, what does he do, clamp down on yer toes? 14# of Pomeranian would wake the dead, welded to my tootsies at 3am, needle-sharp incisors 'n' all. Or, rather, I'd wake the dead, with all the howling I'd be doing.

Heavy-glass door, heavy security door, deadbolts, puny Pom, Glock as backup. Sounds like you've got it all covered. :yup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm doing what you're doing, one project per paycheck. Take them in the order of most important/effective and you'll have a better/more secure home soon. I live in a very nice neighborhood, but learned criminals just don't respect boundaries - an 80 year old woman was stabbed to death not far from us when a guy went home-to-home looking for the weakest victim. Never, in the 40 years this neighborhood has existed, was anyone ever assaulted, much less murdered. Has any politician called for an end to "knife violence"??? Sorry for digressing, but....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Cameras should be just one layer in a multi- pronged approach. Monitored system, DVR cameras, physical barriers, firearm, etc.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Cameras should be just one layer in a multi- pronged approach. Monitored system, DVR cameras, physical barriers, firearm, etc.
I have security screen door, lock the screen door and the front door, motion detectors activate outside lights dogs( chihuahua raises hell more than the pits) cameras are a future project.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You don't want to bang on my front door - you will get carried away by the two four legged guards. We have an Eastern European German Shepard male with an attitude and a growing American German Shepard female that loves to follow him around.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Get one of your friends to lay on the front stoop, trace them with that yellow tape that they trace dead bodies at a crime with. This may work, esp if you trace 3 or 4 bodies, use some ketchup spilled and a few shotgun casings.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts