Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-knives_p13400,00.html

I forget the thread we had running, dealing with UK knife crackdowns but - anyways - found this news vid from Sky talking about an amnesty! :rolleyes:

Yep - hand em in guys - and all will be well doncha know! Interestingly, a guy whose 14 year old son died from a stabbing, has the good sense to realize that it is little more than a ''stunt'' and in essence realizes too that those who want a knife - will get a knife - not exactly difficult.

The corollary is of course that of guns and hand-ins etc - like bad guys will by default hand in their weapons!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me add too this link -

http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-knives_p12961,00.html

Now here is a very tragic case - husband was killed by a knife. The lady is understandably looking for answers and solutions but - as always, I feel is missing the major points - and like so many thinks that more laws and handing in of knives etc will improve things. Sadly - she seems to forget that laws are rarely obeyed by bad guys - and they will not be affected much at all, other than for the few that may be caught and so receive harsher sentences.

As ever - attacking problems from quite the wrong direction but hey - it probably wins sheep votes!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Sad, sad, sad. Why can't people see through this stuff? Turn in your knives, they say. Sure, but to make it effective, what about kitchen knives? Pretty soon the Brits will but cutting their steaks with spoons. See how effective that is. <sigh>

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I just got back from my Scotland honeymoon yesterday, and knife crimes :rolleyes: are all over the newspapers. I recall "Ever-increasing violence in Britian" being one of the headlines. (Why am I not surprised?)

I read articles about teenagers trying to intervene to stop fights and getting cut up (one was murdered in one case), and some saying they'd never intervene again. :frown:

Ban the guns, ban the knives, ban rocks, sticks, and fingers. :scruntiny:

There is something terribly, terribly wrong going on across the pond, and the knife amnesty isn't going to help solve the problem. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
25,534 Posts
The video wouldn't load, but I got the idea.

Chris, if I turn in my knife do I have to turn in the matching fork? :image035:

(What a crock!)

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
the way i see it is, they had their guns taken away, so people who wanted to kill had to use a knife. once those are taken a way, they'll just find something else, like cricket bats or golf clubs, which, of course, will we banned. makes me glad to be an american.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my home state in Australia, ANY knife (and I mean ANY knife, even a 1 inch long blade) is what's called a 'controlled weapon', meaning you must have an excuse (like using it for your work etc) to have it on you, or in your car or bag. Self defence is specifically precluded from being a lawful excuse. This puts your humble pocket knife in the same category as police batons and crossbows with regard to legislation.

Amazing world we live in, where people are under the misguided beleif that amnesties will do anything. If I was a bad guy, and wanted to get rid of my weapons, I wouldn't be strolling down to see Mr Plod... I'd throw it in the bin.

Just another example of the 'get tough' reactionary policing we're seeing all over the world.

·
Registered
552 Posts
yea what elmore said have yet to see a knife jump off the counter n cut up my steak by itself althoug would be nice if it would sharpen itself?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
What everyone is forgetting

P95Carry said:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-knives_p13400,00.html

I forget the thread we had running, dealing with UK knife crackdowns but - anyways - found this news vid from Sky talking about an amnesty! :rolleyes:

Yep - hand em in guys - and all will be well doncha know! Interestingly, a guy whose 14 year old son died from a stabbing, has the good sense to realize that it is little more than a ''stunt'' and in essence realizes too that those who want a knife - will get a knife - not exactly difficult.

The corollary is of course that of guns and hand-ins etc - like bad guys will by default hand in their weapons!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me add too this link -

http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-knives_p12961,00.html

Now here is a very tragic case - husband was killed by a knife. The lady is understandably looking for answers and solutions but - as always, I feel is missing the major points - and like so many thinks that more laws and handing in of knives etc will improve things. Sadly - she seems to forget that laws are rarely obeyed by bad guys - and they will not be affected much at all, other than for the few that may be caught and so receive harsher sentences.

As ever - attacking problems from quite the wrong direction but hey - it probably wins sheep votes!
It seems to me what everyone is forgetting is that these are the same folks that are rioting whenever their "football" teams lose.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Speaking of sporks, I did see a bunch of plastic forks in the confiscation bin at the London, Gatwick Airport at the security checkpoint. :tired:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Won't be long the only thing Brits will be allowed to own will be those plastic safety scissors from kindergarten ... there'll probably still be a fine if caught running with them though. Makes Dixie seem like Heaven!
Jack

·
Registered
249 Posts
If these sheeple would have come and taken control of the English government 70 years earlier, Nazi Germany would have certainly defeated and obtain control of this island nation.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They will ban every thing under the sun till half there population is gone. Then realize that it is not working and spend another decade trying to undo all the bans while there population suffers from not being able to protect it self. Seems like slow genecide by goverment.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
san antone rr said:
Amazing. What's next?
In Edinburgh and Glasgow pubs, they are experimenting with a ban on glass on the public side of the bar because of a 40% increase in the violent crimes involving broken glass since the knife ban went into effect. So, plastic glasses, mugs and pitchers. I expect they will declare that a success and expand the glass ban to the rest of Scotland and the UK.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
''What's next'' - I am waiting for the glass bottle to totally die a death too :frown:

Wasn't there also something about stolls and chairs in bars? Too dangerous because they might be thrown!!! Guess it'll be hard heavy benches and nothing else soon.

Oh the craziness of it all. Ban objects but not the idiots who use them wrongly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts