Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last eight months or so, I've become more and more interested in older style guns. Especially rifles. While visiting the LGS today, I saw they have a used Mosin Nagant, and it really piqued my interest. After reading up on some info about them, I'm even more intrigued.

Anyone here have experience with a Mosin Nagant? If so, did you - or do you still - enjoy shooting it?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Family member bought one, helped him fit the bayonet, re-assemble after deep clean, and shot about 40 rd at a range, was accurate (pie plate), a early 20th century battle rifle...not fun, crude, liked it with the spike fitted, and perfect for $125, OTOH
a co-worker had one that was from France and low number submittal for a contract....and was worth real bank

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I have one. 1939 model that shoots great. It is a fun piece of history. About all I can say about it.

·
Registered
34,523 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I have some. The only milsurps I will not trade off. Fascinating history and so many variable between guns. I am drawn to them.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. :smile:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have 5 of them. my first one, an M44, I picked up for 69$ How could i resist since it was so cheap? I loved it, and then picked up a couple 91/30s. then later picked up a real Russian original M39, and a Finnish m39. I love these rifles, plenty of fun. if you can get one cheap, do it.

Oh, and my personal preference is to avoid corrosive surplus ammo.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have 3. Two M44 and a 91/30 in an Archangel stock that I hope to one day convert into a hog rifle. Im always on the lookout for a good deal on a Mosin.

Reactions: Tstone

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My favorite of my Mosins its what I use to run off the punks at the shooting range when they are too rambunctious with their AR's. The concussion and fire ball this throws off has been known to startle the uninformed so much that a few well timed rounds will have them pack up and leave.
View attachment 246145

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have one, what they call an ex-sniper. Basically means it was deemed accurate enough to be a sniper rifle so they put a scope on it. After the war the scope was removed and the mounting holes filled.

It’s a fantastic rifle by any standard. Bolt can be a bit stiff but it’s crazy accurate, holds up to anything and is loud enough at the range to make anyone stop and look. Really a marvel of mass produced engineering and a fantastic piece of history. I’ll never trade it.

Great hunting rifle too if you’re okay shooting with irons. It’s plenty accurate.

I got mine years ago when even the best ones were still under $100. I wish I’d gotten more. I’d suggest getting one because the price will only get higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I had two, a m44 and a M91/30. Purchased them when they were really low priced, the M44 for $89 and the M91/30 for $79. Bought a book and read up on them, shot them, enjoyed them, and then sold them when the availability decreased and their values exceeded the price of the Ruger American and other lower priced major manufacturer rifles. In my opinion, there are a number of things to be aware of. First and foremost, the safety is extremely difficult to operate. They are cock on open. Most will have cosmoline in the action and internals, even though the outside of the rifle may have been wiped off. There is no really "good" way to mount a scope, which for me was fine as I enjoyed shooting the open sights. They are super stout and nearly indestructible and will stand up to hard use. Everyone that I have shot or seen shot on the range have good accuracy considering the sights. If you are interested in military history, this is one of the weapons to pick up and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
I picked up 2 hex-receiver 91/30s some years ago for a bargain - 2 guns and 880 rounds of ammo for under $250. Both date to the mid-1920s. I cleaned up one of them and gave the trigger a little love, and the other one is waiting for the same treatment. It's a fun gun to shoot, but the bolt remains sticky in spite of some remedial work, and the stripper clips are useless. The bore remained dark even after a lot of scrubbing, and with the crude sights and iffy trigger it produced about 5-inch groups at 100 yards. Not sniper quality, but good enough to keep Herman the German pinned down while defending Stalingrad. With the "heavy ball" 180 grain ammo it delivers a solid thump at both ends of the gun!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like them quite a bit. Here is my M91/30:

I've had Mosins in one form or another for many years. In fact the first firearm I ever bought was a different M91/30, and I have since learned to run them well. They are quirky and there is a fairly large learning curve needed to master them, but with practice they can be very good and effective rifles. While they wouldn't be my first choice for something like defense or combat in modern times, they certainly would not be my last either. Keep in mind these are currently being used (mostly in the form of ersatz sniper rifles) in conflicts all over the globe, such as the Ukraine and Syria:

Obsolete? Sure, compared to more modern options indeed it is. What is not obsolete, however, is a 150 grain 7.62x54mm bullet traveling at nearly 3000 feet per second nailing you courtesy of the sniper in the hedgerow or window across the street. As a greater man than me once said: "the gun is the least of it" and even with an old Mosin Nagant, havok can still be wreaked.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
In the last eight months or so, I've become more and more interested in older style guns. Especially rifles. While visiting the LGS today, I saw they have a used Mosin Nagant, and it really piqued my interest. After reading up on some info about them, I'm even more intrigued.

Anyone here have experience with a Mosin Nagant? If so, did you - or do you still - enjoy shooting it?
I own 2,they were at one time widely avail and super cheap .They made them by the millions and millions are in surplus . Both mine were
brand new condition from 1930s and 1940s,they shoot really well and the ammo is dirt cheap
loads of fun as long as your sholder can handle it . Buds used to sell them as "pieces of history"
which I suppose they are..Def get one if you can

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
With the current price, there's really no reason to buy one as a tool, when you can get something like a Savage Axis or Ruger American that will outshoot it for the same price or even less.

As a cool piece of history? Yes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I love mine. I have a jungle carbine model 44. Most of the guys that got them when I got mine got their curio relic license so they could order them cheap from shotgun news. I got mine at a gun shop for less than $200 back in the 90's. They are awesome and very accurate. We used to shoot bowling pins with them at eighty yards with no problem.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Cool guns a lot and I mean a lot of models out there ...Some dont require a FFL to buy antiques ..The guns date back to the Tsar in fact

A lot of countries made or modded them ... The fin models tend to go for a bit more as the trigger and sometimes the barrel is nicer

Def check what model it is ie carbine or 91/30 or 91 or ?? And if it has been counter bored all will effect price

Ammo is not as cheep as it was same with guns ..A lot of them were in the Urkian and were pressed into servcie

They do make hunting ammo for them and range safe ammo as well not as cheep as old corrsive surplus

If you have not already Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide is the best site around this site has it all rifle ID what to look for when buying even ammo types
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x54r-ammo has some of the better pricing around for steel core plinker ammo

They are cool guns imop

Timny did at one point make a trigger for them as well I know

And PS unless it is a beater gun or a ex sniper keep it stock ..Dont tapco it unless you have to lol

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool guns a lot and I mean a lot of models out there ...Some dont require a FFL to buy antiques ..The guns date back to the Tsar in fact

A lot of countries made or modded them ... The fin models tend to go for a bit more as the trigger and sometimes the barrel is nicer

Def check what model it is ie carbine or 91/30 or 91 or ?? And if it has been counter bored all will effect price

Ammo is not as cheep as it was same with guns ..A lot of them were in the Urkian and were pressed into servcie

They do make hunting ammo for them and range safe ammo as well not as cheep as old corrsive surplus

If you have not already Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide is the best site around this site has it all rifle ID what to look for when buying even ammo types
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x54r-ammo has some of the better pricing around for steel core plinker ammo

They are cool guns imop

Timny did at one point make a trigger for them as well I know

And PS unless it is a beater gun or a ex sniper keep it stock ..Dont tapco it unless you have to lol

Thanks for the helpful links WrongRecroom. They'll help me to decide whether I ultimately get the one I saw at the LGS.

And thanks again for everyone else input as well. Much appreciated.

Reactions: sonnycrocket
1 - 19 of 19 Posts