Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this video yesterday. If you skip ahead to about the 4:30 mark, you will see this shotgun fail a simple drop test. When dropped onto its side, the pins that hold the shell lifter arms in place in the sides of the receiver pop out, and jam the gun up.

I was a bit sceptical at first, as my Mossy 500 has given me no trouble, unlike my Rem 870 Express which has had numerous extraction failures. When I tried this test myself, from only one foot onto a carpet, I replicated the exact same failure on the very first try. Fortunately, jiggling the slide back and forth a bit popped the pin back into place.

If you run a Mossy 500/590, you should be aware of this. If anyone has experienced this, or has a solution, please post. This is kind of surprising, given that these guns are used by military and police forces, who you would imagine subject their guns to tests more challenging than simply dropping it.

I'm going to call Mossberg on Monday and see what they say. In the meanwhile...thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the head's up...I'll have to try it on my 500...

This underscores that, if you drop your weapon:

1. It's time to transition to your secondary weapon, and

2. Have a secondary weapon.

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the drop test again. What I've found is that, if the tang safety is set to fire, the elevator arm pins in the side of the receiver cannot come out of position. I even tried to push the pins in with a pencil tip - no can do, as long as the safety is set to fire. If the safety is on safe, the pins can get stuck inside the receiver, but pushing the safety forward to the fire position seemed to pop them back into place.

I will try once more, but it seems to be a simple issue to fix in the unlikely event you drop the gun exactly onto its side.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Is there anyone building a "fix"? Perhaps modified pins that secure the lifter to the receiver? With all the Mossy 500/590 fans out there, I have difficulty imagining this...going unaddressed.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have an older Mossberg 500, circa early 1980s. Back in the mid 80s, I was shooting skeet with the 500, birds come out, boom, got 1st bird, rack the slide expecting to do the same to the next bird but the shotgun immediately discharged when the action closed. Shocked, I kept the shotgun pointed downrange and racked the slide again, and once again it immediately discharged. Well crap, borrowed a shotgun and finished the match.
When I got home, I completely disassembled the shotgun, cleaning thoroughly and used compressed air to blow out the trigger assembly. Reassembled and took it out, loaded it up and it behaved normally. In the past 30 years, it hasn't done that again but every time I pick it up, that event runs through my mind. Never did discover why it did that, it must have been some powder flecks or other dirt in the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Thanks. Strengthens my resolve to stick with my Remingtons, which I admit has weakened at times when I pick up a Mossy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm going to call Mossberg on Monday and see what they say. In the meanwhile...thoughts?
Were you able to get ahold of Mossberg? My 500 has never had issues but I've never dropped it. Would hate for something like this to happen in a scramble to get it while an uninvited guest is in my house

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you able to get ahold of Mossberg? My 500 has never had issues but I've never dropped it. Would hate for something like this to happen in a scramble to get it while an uninvited guest is in my house
I left a message for one of their gunsmiths. Will see what he says.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Keep us posted 10th. Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hmm.. I have a Rem 870, so this doesn't apply to me, but I had always thought that some day I'd pick up a 500/590. Good to be aware of at least.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered any shotgun to be a "drop safe" firearm.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered any shotgun to be a "drop safe" firearm.
In my mind "drop safe" means it can hit hard, solid ground from a reasonable height w/o an UNreasonable tendency to discharge. I do, however, expect ANY firearm that I might chose to use defensively to (at LEAST) remain functional after an accidental drop from waist-high. :yup:

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No reply from Mossberg yet, but I got home from work and took my 500 apart. As I suspected, with the safety set to FIRE (forward) it blocks the elevator arm pins from getting too far out of their holes. With the safety set to SAFE (rearwards) then it is possible for the elevator arm pins to get back out of their holes far enough for them to get stuck inside the receiver. However...pushing the safety forward seems to force the pin back into its hole.

So, the only way this could disable the gun is...gun is on SAFE, is dropped exactly onto its side, you pick it up, and attempt to pump it while still on SAFE.

I keep my 500 with a loaded mag, empty chamber, and on FIRE. So, this really isn't an issue for me.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could drill and tap the elevator arm pins, and put in a screw from the outside of the receiver with a large enough head to prevent this. It would make disassembly a bit more involved, as you would have to unscrew them. I have a side saddle on the left side of my gun, so this isn't an option for me.

My understanding is that the Maverick 88 has a trigger button safety, like the Rem 870. That gun might be more susceptible to this drop issue, as I don't think there is anything inside the receiver to keep the pins in place.

If anyone else with a 500/590 wants to take their gun apart and confirm my findings, that would help ensure that my results are not peculiar to my 500. Thanks.

Of course, if my Rem 870 Express wasn't such an extraction-issue prone piece of garbage, I wouldn't have even gone down the Mossberg road...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I dropped my 590 about a dozen times this afternoon from approximately a foot and a half with the safety off and nothing happened. The first time I dropped it with the safety on like 10th said, one of the lifter pins popped out. Here are a couple of quick videos I made when I did it. I didn't record all 12 of the drops with the safety off. I did this without recording first and then did it over again.

Safety off video.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Safety on video (can only attach one video per post). I lowered the shotgun on subsequent tests and it happens most of the time down to about a foot. Below that, it usually stayed in place. The 590A1 is a bit heavier than most. Not sure how much that influences results. I haven't decided yet how this affects my confidence in the shotgun. I'm 45yrs old and I've never dropped a firearm. Never been in an emergency situation with one either though. I keep this shotgun in a quick access cabinet with 8 in the magazine and one in a partially open chamber with the safety off.

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the sanity check. Looks like a non issue as long as the safety is set forward to the FIRE position.

Like you, I'm going to see how this impacts my choice in shotguns. Might ditch both the Mossy and the Remmy and try my luck with a Benelli. If I do that, might go whole hog and get a semi auto. Will see...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts