Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question everyone, I just picked up a new Mossberg 500 and it comes with two barrels. I'd like to take the one of those barrels and put it on my current HD shottie (another Mossberg 500) and turn that into a dedicated skeet gun. Is there any reason why I couldn't do that?

To answer the obvious question, yes they are both 12 gauges. I just want to make sure I can swap barrels between them myself without a visit to a real gunsmith.

Thanks!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Swapping barrels on a Mossberg 500 is easy. You can DIY. Me? I'd charge you $40 as a friend to do it. Trades for ammo or parts might also be accepted.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have an old 500 with 2 3/4" chamber barrels. Those barrels work on my newer 500A's but the newer barrels won't work on the older 500.
The receiver on the older 500 is shorter than the newer ones designed for 3" shells.

So longs as both shotguns are designed to use 3" shells you should have no problem swapping barrels between shotguns.
Just a note, 500 barrels will work on the Maverick 88 too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a combo Mossberg too, press the "action lock lever", pull the pump back halfway, unscrew the thumb wheel, take the one out and put the other one in. Instructions come with the shotgun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a combo Mossberg too, press the "action lock lever", pull the pump back halfway, unscrew the thumb wheel, take the one out and put the other one in. Instructions come with the shotgun.
There is your answer. I have 3 500's and 5 barrels. I can change them all out. I turned one into a SD shotgun with a 18 1/2" barrel ($79.99 at Cabela's), side saddle shell holder, Hogue rubber forearm and Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil reducing stock. Sorry about the poor picture, no flash on cell phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just bought a 500 "Special Hunter" yesterday.... 12 ga. Slug barrel....have a cylinder bore barrel on order.....
Swapping barrels couldn't be easier, as others have posted....
As long as all barrels are the same gauge and accept the same size shell(s)......no problems!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swapping barrels on a Mossberg 500 is easy. You can DIY. Me? I'd charge you $40 as a friend to do it. Trades for ammo or parts might also be accepted.
Thanks Ram Rod. You know, I'm just SO LUCKY to have friends like you! I'll drop it off right away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts