Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of picking up a Mossberg 500 for HD. I was thinking of getting this one from Buds, Mossberg 50521 500SP 12 18 6SH CB PGK PRK for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $267.00 and getting this stock for it. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/26_643/products_id/24828.
my question is can you still operate the shotgun with the stock folded ? I am sure you can get one shot off, but it looks like the stock would cover the ejection port. I was thinking pistol grip to get through the narrow halls in my house, then have the stock for once i get into the more open rooms.

anyone have it and have pics with it folded and open ?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from any shotgun with a folding stock or by using a pistol type grip alone. A shotgun at close quarter range will need to be aimed just as a handgun or rifle will. You will not be able to get the accuracy needed in a self defense situation with the pistol type grip. Now, if you want to combine the pistol grip with a full size butt stock? ... this is a good setup.

The single pistol grip looks cool but is extremely difficult to control recoil and much harder to aim accurately. YMMV

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Why not just tuck the full stock under your arm, then extend and mount when needed? Seems to me like your monkeying around with a lot for no reason.

Top folders are designed for storage issues, not for tactical purposes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had the side folder on my Moss 500 and
ended up taking it off. It just gets in the way.
Get a pump grip instead for better control.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
You aren't going to want to be manipulating a folding stock while clearing a structure (although clearing by oneself is pretty much always a bad idea, you should instead hole up in a secure location with your shottie covering the avenue of approach, and then call in the professionals, aka police to do the clearing). Short stocking like SIXTO suggested would be a better idea. If you need to have some sort of pistol grip, go with either a full buttstock with a pistol grip, or an M-4 style collapsible stock. But be forewarned, in my experience the mossberg's safety is best manipulated with a normal stock

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ditto, what they said.

Other than looking "tacti-cool" I'd rather have the control that a stock provides. You can have both (mine's shown below), or get a collapsible stock, I think Tapco makes one. A shotgun can be very useful for defending a position, or in the open, but if you are going to go clear rooms in confined spaces, you may want to consider something other than a shotgun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've had folders & pistol grip (shoulder) stocks on my social 870 shotgun. Eventually decided to ditch 'em & follow the old-school shottie pros -> simplify all things. FYI, your thumb is a l-o-n-g way from that Mossey's top-tang safety when you go to a pistol grip (of any sort).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts