Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Mossberg 500 for Christmas that I intent to use for home defense & SHTF situations. The sight on this model is a gold bead up front, and the top of the receiver is flattened, and the top of the receiver is drilled & tapped. What I'd like to know is: if you have a HD shotgun, what sights do you have on it? Pictures would be helpful, if you have them. I've been looking at red dot sights, but I don't like the idea of that being my only sight, and if the battery dies or it breaks, I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've got ghost ring sights on my 500 (came that way from the factory, same as the ghost rings on the 590s). I like the sight a lot. Really makes me think of it like a rifle, where I need to aim carefully (and one does, even with a riot gun). It is also surprisingly accurate with slugs out to 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I have a 500C - 20G. It has vented rib so I am assuming same for all - not 100% sure. I did for some while have ''Turkey'' clip on sights added - rear had 2 green inserts - trijicon IIRC - the ones that pick up ambient light, not night sights. Front sight was single red. They work well IMO but taken them off there to put on another shottie. No pics to hand right now.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Trijicon makes a nice set of ghost ring sights. You need to have a smith install em though. Makes for much better accuracy than a bead. I don't think anyone makes a low profile dot that would let ya co witness the irons .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't go the ghost ring route on my HD shotgun. I replaced the bead with a tritium/white dot sight from IWI. It has been 10 years and the tritium was too hard to see, so I just bought a Big Dot front sight for it. Use it just like a bead, but it is much easier to see day or night.

http://www.xssights.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts