Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright.....who are the shotgun know-it-all's here???

I bought a Mossberg 500 (18" barrel) with no serial number from a reputable dealer. I pickup on Tuesday. Looking on the internet I have found that Mossberg did not put serial numbers on their civillian long guns until after 1968. The shotgun I bought does not look to be anywhere near 40yrs old, but I am not sure. Gun seems to be in solid working order and is in good shape. I will still be satisfied with my purchase but now am curious...

*Did mossberg put serial numbers on law enforcement shotty's after the 1968 mark?

*If the gun is indeed from the pre 1968 mark what does this say about the quality (parts, workmanship, etc)?

*What are some of the identifyable marks of an older Mossberg Shotgun?

*If it is an older model, will modern aftermarket parts still be interchangable?

As always your insights and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I don't know anything about the serial # but I have shotguns that were passed down from my grandfather and some are over 40 years old and look as if they could have been bought yesterday. So my point I guess is that it could be that old and if well taken care of it's hard to tell sometimes I will admit.

I would also say that is strange for a gun not to have a serial number these days.

Oh ya, the old stuff is the good stuff.

Ti.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't. The dealer searched it for about ten minutes with a magnifying glass and marked the bill of sale and paperwork #NSN.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Fed Law passed in 1998 mandated S/Ns on all guns. Prior to that it was optional and many guns were mfd with no S/N on them.

My Blue Book lists the Model 500 Slide Action Field as made from 1962 to 1998. There was also a listing for a Model 500 Super Grade made from 1965 to 1976. So early models of either of these may well have been made with no S/N on them.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Fed Law passed in 1998 mandated S/Ns on all guns.
Len, I believe that was the Gun Control Act of 1968.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
OD, you are right. I was too tired when I wrote that to remember that it was GCA '68 that gave us that.

Relish in the idea that the 4473 is useless in tracing that gun to its lawful owner . . . and it is all legal! :banana:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts