Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one gets my vote. It was in the Orlando Sentinel this morning and comes from the editorial page's "Blogwatch". The quote is from John Aravosis at AmericaBlog:

"(GOP) NRA supporters in the U.S. Senate shot dead a proposal to toughen background checks for proud Second Amendment murderers who want to buy a bazooka in order to better massacre America's children."

So much for civility.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
We have our beliefs, they have theirs. It would be impossible for someone to change my mind on the 2A. They are no different. We are focusing on the wrong people, we need to get young people involved with gun safety and guns. We also need to focus on those in the middle, the folks that will listen to our reason. People like what the OP mentioned are to far gone for us to make a difference in their lives.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We have our beliefs, they have theirs. It would be impossible for someone to change my mind on the 2A. They are no different. We are focusing on the wrong people, we need to get young people involved with gun safety and guns. We also need to focus on those in the middle, the folks that will listen to our reason. People like what the OP mentioned are to far gone for us to make a difference in their lives.
There is a glimmer of hope for these but it is very, very small. There have been a few really anti gun advocates who have experienced first hand a crime happening to them and the police not arriving for a long time. That feeling of helplessness is about the only possible thing that can turn someone that anti. So, either it happens to them or someone close to them, or a neighbor, etc. and then there is a chance they will turn. Barring that, you are right.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you look into who John Aravosis is and some things he's been involved in, the statement should not be unexpected.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Too bad there are MANY millions who view the NRA/Right the exact same way. To them I am a scourge on this land. There's no way I can say more and keep it civil, so I will just shut up. Maybe that's what the author of the blog should have done.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is a glimmer of hope for these but it is very, very small. There have been a few really anti gun advocates who have experienced first hand a crime happening to them and the police not arriving for a long time. That feeling of helplessness is about the only possible thing that can turn someone that anti. So, either it happens to them or someone close to them, or a neighbor, etc. and then there is a chance they will turn. Barring that, you are right.

in his autobiography, "In The Arena", Charlton Heston (remember him?) relates the story (pages 565-566) of how, during the L.A. riots of 1992, that he and another pro-gun Hollywood figure got many phone calls from anti-gun acquaintances wanting to borrow a gun.

reminds me of the saying that a Conservative is a former Liberal who's been mugged.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I am so sick of hearing for the children when what I had stated earlier is true. If it is for the children then they should be pro life for the children.
If we go down this road this thread will get locked real quick. We may want to stay on topic. It seems to be a good discussion to have...

Reactions: SIGguy229

·
Registered
621 Posts
The problem goes deeper than wether they have been victims or not.

I've met people who been victims and blame the tool used in the commision of the crime rather than an understanding that there are people out there who may want to hurt them. They also fail to understand any responsibility for their own safety, an entitlement mentality about it. " I should be protected from all things evil" instead of "What can I do to remain secure" It's kind of delusional behaviour that can rarely be countered by logic. Somehow you have to weave reality into their dreamland, or convince them to dream differently.
There's probably some sort of pill that could be proscribed to help, but it would probably show up on their background check and they wouldn't be able to protect themselves after anyways ..:blink:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
That's the only thing I took away from this.

And while I never have and never will have the urge to kill children, or anyone for that matter... I sure would love to see what a bazooka would do to that old broken fridge out in the garage!
If you score your bazooka, you might want to remove the fridge from the garage before commencing with the fun. :danceban:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
"(GOP) NRA supporters in the U.S. Senate shot dead a proposal to toughen background checks for proud Second Amendment murderers who want to buy a bazooka in order to better massacre America's children."

So much for civility.
:scratchchin: :blink:

That is pretty outrageous.

"Second Amendment murderers" seems a euphemism most aptly applied to those who would destroy the right to own and carry arms in our states. Quite simply, the liberty-haters attempting to do what they did with S.649's passage are that crowd, in a very real sense. Of course, that's hardly what the person making the ridiculous claim meant.

As if bringing in bazookas helps make the claim any less outrageous. In fact it makes it even worse. One would think that requiring our Senators uphold their sworn oaths to protect and defend the Constitution has meaning. It's hard to fathom how a person can see this as equating to preferring murderers exist, let alone preferring murderers should find it simple to arm themselves with bazookas.

Want crime control, instead of merely citizen-held firearm control? Then erase from our midst the violent criminals who get caught doing their ugly deeds; do NOT let them out of prison early; execute the worst of them; execute the violent recidivists; require serious background evaluations of all persons coming into this country; stop criminalizing ownership/carry of arms by citizens who are merely seeking to defend themselves against crime; and restrict whatever proposals are made that dare to undermine or sidestep the Constitution. That will be a good start. It'll both be constitutional and it won't hardly make bazooka acquisition by murderers any simpler.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts