Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only a few states ban concealed or open carry in polling places on election day. My state is one that prohibits open or concealed carry in polling places.

A bigger consideration for many if your state does allow guns in polling places is that many polling places are intentionally held in public buildings or schools making them gun free zones in most cases.

For example, even though guns are prohibited in polling places in Missouri, my polling place is a state owned building and it is also a school. Carrying within 1000 feet of a gun free zone is prohibited so I have to keep my gun in the car while voting.

1,000 feet is just short of an average city block (900 ft).

Some anti-s are worried about voter intimidation if people open carry around polling places. Not being able to carry in a polling place is intimidating to those who normally carry IMO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tion-officials-think-that-could-be-a-problem/

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Only a few states ban concealed or open carry in polling places on election day. My state is one that prohibits open or concealed carry in polling places.

A bigger consideration for many if your state does allow guns in polling places is that many polling places are intentionally held in public buildings or schools making them gun free zones in most cases.

For example, even though guns are prohibited in polling places in Missouri, my polling place is a state owned building and it is also a school. Carrying within 1000 feet of a gun free zone is prohibited so I have to keep my gun in the car while voting.

Some anti-s are worried about voter intimidation if people open carry around polling places. Not being able to carry in a polling place is intimidating to those who normally carry IMO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tion-officials-think-that-could-be-a-problem/
Unless Missouri has a state law in play the 1000 fr law is federal and is overridden if you have a CCW from the state you are in out of state permits don't count so you can carry within 1he 1000 ft limit, just not on school property. Actually the 1000 ft limit, I believe doesn't even allow you to have it in the car but I could be wrong on that point. Also since it a Fed law I've never heard of any local law enforcement actually enforcing it.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Unless Missouri has a state law in play the 1000 fr law is federal and is overridden if you have a CCW from the state you are in out of state permits don't count so you can carry within 1he 1000 ft limit, just not on school property. Actually the 1000 ft limit, I believe doesn't even allow you to have it in the car but I could be wrong on that point. Also since it a Fed law I've never heard of any local law enforcement actually enforcing it.
Missouri also prohibits CC or OC in polling places on election day

What's really ironic is that even law enforcement in some states are prohibited within 100 ft of polling places with certain exceptions.

PA for example:
POLICE OFFICERS AND OTHER PEACE OFFICERS Generally, police officers are not permitted in the polling place
. Uniformed or plain-clothes police officers must remain 100 feet or more from the entrance of a polling place.

http://www.dos.pa.gov/VotingElectio...T THE POLLING PLACE ON ELECTION DAY 10-16.pdf

Reactions: 1911srule

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Heck, here in the Bluegrass, laws were just passed to allow liquor stores to be open on Election Day (for the 1st time in decades)! IMHO, folks should NOT be penalized for what...MIGHT happen!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts

in MO I see the following but nothing about maintaining 1000 ft distance from a GFZ:

(2) Within twenty-five feet of any polling place on any election day. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on
the premises of the polling place shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from
the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the
governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board, unless the
person with the concealed carry endorsement or permit is a teacher or administrator of an elementary or
secondary school who has been designated by his or her school district as a school protection officer and is
carrying a firearm in a school within that district, in which case no consent is required. Possession of a
firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school
facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished
while the vehicle is on the premises;
Are you referring to the federal GFZ act? Bear in mind that one was sponsored by crazy uncle Joe... Same guy that tells you to shoot a double barreled shotty through the door at a potential intruder...

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's why Utah is so great. No restriction at the polls regarding guns, no restrictions at the schools with a valid state permit, and no restrictions in Utah state facilities (except court houses).

·
Banned
894 Posts
I'm so sick of bending over backwards for these people it makes me sick. Also, why is it that these people are the ones running the voting places?? I could never understand that
They volunteered, took the training, and showed up. Also, they outnumber you. About 3 to 4% carry. So they out vote you also.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I broke my LCP down and took the slide in with me. I wondered if they would have metal detectors at the county clerks office. No problem with the gun parts in my pocket. They made me take my -Make America Great Again- cap off when they handed me the ballot. A lot of people saw who I was voting for before they told me to take my cap off. I prefer breaking the gun down and taking half with me because I doubt if anybody would just want that plastic frame that is left in the car. So easy to do too. Just takes the small screw driver in my pocket to pop the assembly pin and a sandwich baggie to carry parts in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Not permitted in GA

Per Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

There are 3 code sections for the state of Georgia that detail the places off limits for a person with a Georgia Weapons Carry License. The places off limits, unless otherwise listed, does not include the parking lot (as long as the weapon stays in the vehicle). This does not mean that everywhere else is ok, there are federal laws that also come into play. Some Federal laws may not be listed.

Within 150 feet of any polling place when elections are being conducted and such polling place is being used as a polling place as provided for in paragraph (27) of Code Section 21-2-2, except as provided in subsection (i) of Code Section 21-2-413.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Most of these types of laws are due to the voter intimidation tactics of the black panthers of the late 1960's, marching around the poling places while openly carrying long guns and yelling about ******.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Most of these types of laws are due to the voter intimidation tactics of the black panthers of the late 1960's, marching around the poling places while openly carrying long guns and yelling about ******.
Around here, and back in AL, it was mostly about the KKK, and their voter intimidation tactics, not so much the Panthers

·
Banned
1,228 Posts

Polling places as such are forbidden in FL.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
We can carry at a polling place (no restriction) , and since we can carry at schools that aren't posted, and there are no restrictions on carrying at Churches, etc..... then you are more likely going to be legal to carry there when you vote. A church where I am decided they didn't want to be a polling place anymore since people could carry there (well, even if they aren't a polling place people can carry there) , they bowed out. So, another Church picked up being our new polling place. Fine with us.

Like normal, nothing has ever happened as a result. The lame arguments that this or that would happen, have never happened.

We kind of laughed about the Black Panthers trying to intimidate people with batons at the polling place in 2008 that hit the News ..... everyone here was saying, they better bring a lot more than a baton with them if they think they're going intimidate anyone here. LOL

I don't have to worry about , I"ve already voted. ... advance ballot.

Reactions: patri0t

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
We can carry at a polling place (no restriction) , and since we can carry at schools that aren't posted, and there are no restrictions on carrying at Churches, etc..... then you are more likely going to be legal to carry there when you vote. A church where I am decided they didn't want to be a polling place anymore since people could carry there (well, even if they aren't a polling place people can carry there) , they bowed out. So, another Church picked up being our new polling place. Fine with us.

Like normal, nothing has ever happened as a result. The lame arguments that this or that would happen, have never happened.

We kind of laughed about the Black Panthers trying to intimidate people with batons at the polling place in 2008 that hit the News ..... everyone here was saying, they better bring a lot more than a baton with them if they think they're going intimidate anyone here. LOL

I don't have to worry about , I've already voted. ... advance ballot.
Beginning 01 Jan we will be able to carry in all schools that do not have metal detectors, gun storage and armed security... in other words, as unrestricted as state, city, county buildings, courthouses and such are now.
I remember the Black Panthers' incident where they were waving batons and yelling, "Kill White Babies" at a polling place... they went to prison. It would be comical to see them try that in Kansas.

It seems ludicrous some areas in the U.S. demand that good citizens surrender their inalienable constitutional rights in order to vote.
Very Un-American.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts