Defensive Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,828 Posts
I have AR-15s in 5.56X45mm, an AR-15 in .50 Beowulf, an AR-10 in 7.62X51mm, and an M1A in 7.62X51mm. They cover everything I want in semi-auto rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
6.5 Grendel for all around use.
224 Val for long distance shooting (less drop and drift at distance) with lighter recoil.

The 224 has almost twice the retained energy at 600yrds over the 300Blk round. It can beat the 6.5mm Grendel in wind drift and trajectory, but the Grendel throws a larger diameter bullet
and a heavier payload with more retained energy. So, if precision at distance is your deciding factor the 224, if ft/lbs at distance than the 6.5.

Also, the .224 Valkyrie will essentially run through your standard AR receivers. All you will need is a .224 specific barrel and bolt. Not the plus-sized receivers typically needed for your .308 Winchester or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Of the calibers you've listed as an additional upper to your current AR I'd have to go with the 6.8 ........ ammo is going to run you between $ .60 & 1.00 a round though.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
5.56mm will get the job done. Id much rather have a 5.56mm AR than any of those other calibers. Especially if youre limited by budget the ONLY other option is 7.62x39, and with the options of quality 5.56mm or 7.62x39, why would you go with 7.62x39? 5.56mm is just a better round. Theres a reason that every country that uses AKs that isnt a third world dump has gone to the AK74 pattern guns and the higher velocity 5.45x39mm, because for intermediate rounds, a smaller, flatter shooting, higher velocity projectile does more damage. On top of that, has anyone ever seen a 7.62x39 AR that runs like a top? Having worked at a gun range for a year, I know that I certainly havent seen one that works well enough that Id ever rely on it for bedside duty.

If you want to varmint, buy something like a 50gr ballistic tip bullet. If you wanted to hunt hogs, go with something like a heavy OTM or solid copper bullet.

Just roll with 5.56mm. If you have to have something different for the sake of being different, so be it, but just know that youre giving something up to do so.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The "prepper" who hides inside me says that one's rifle(s) and pistol(s) should use ammunition which is always readily available, keeping in mind that eventually, as civilization dies, you may have to loot some retail outlet to replenish your supply.

Military ammunition, and its civilian counterparts, will always be the most likely to be available.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Did you chose 450 BM because it was one of the OP's choices or because you like it best out of the three big bore AR calibers?
All the above. I had a 50 Beo, very hard on lowers. The 458 is a PITA because of the case plus the bullets are too slow to be optimized, IMHO. The 450 uses 45 ACP bullets and seems to hit HARD.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Granted, this is away from OP's needs/wants, but I thought I'd post this, after some of the comments. I too debated on AR/7.62X39. After checking into options, I went with the PSA KS-47 Gen II. I love this thing! I know it's long, but this guy IS THROUGH! (a NO-NONSENSE view on firearms review/information) Actually found this, after my purchase, & he justifies what I already knew. Jump to 24:25 to see his thoughts on the PSA.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the replies guys. What I think I will do for now is take my scope off my AR and upgrade to different optics or maybe just iron sights. Play with some higher ends loads and go from there. Probably use the scope for a bolt gun of some sort maybe a 243 or 308.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts