Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think my vote goes to the THUNDER 5
Weighing in at a whopping 48 ounces unloaded & firing 5 rounds of either .45 long Colt or "Quantity 5" 410 gauge shotgun shells.
HEAVY trigger pull.
A SNAKE GUN??? Just drop the doggone gun on the snake and save on ammo costs!
The #4 shot not being able to penetrate 3/8" of plywood.
Then I understand that once you fire the shotgun shells in it it's really difficult to get any sort of accuracy back shooting .45 Long Colt.
Then...You hafta poke spent S Gun Shells out with a stick.
I'll pass on this one! The videos did not look at all impressive on their web site.
I can shoot 2 full mags of .45acp nearly as fast as that & that includes a doggone reload.
They advertise "Built Like A Tank" & weighing almost as much as one.
Be Smart ~ Use A Safe
Be Even Smarter & Use A Different Firearm.
:poke:
Anybody here own one?
You sure won't admit it now will you? :biggrin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the Most Useless Handgun Award I nominate: The one you left at home because the government/boss/spouse doesn't trust you with it.

Not what you were talking aboutQKShooter, but I can't think of a more useless gun than one that you can't use. I would rather have the Thunder 5 with me than nothing at all.

Yes, I am getting grumpy about it. :12: I am to find out tomorrow about a wonderful new job that will really bless me and my family... and says no firearms right in the employee manual. Really debating what to do with that one.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Track down the maker of that monstrosity and we might have "meme" in custody. Seriously, how could you be a "proud owner" of one of those? :Flush:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Perhaps you've never seen one in the flesh, because the owner is too embarrassed to show ! Have to agree one point though, if that's all I had, it's sure better than nothing at all...maybe if you pulled that on a BG, it'd be so ugly, he'd just turn and run or start puckin to death! That's one uggggllly gun!

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thunder ~ 6 Feet Under

Well figure with the Thunder 5 being that heavy...& figure add weight for fully loaded & with some spare ammo that is one handgun that I (for sure) would leave at home.
So...I probably would not ever have the Thunder5 when I needed it.

There is a Thunder 5 forum...just pretty much looks like a page or two of "highly adept handgunners" :trytofly: weighing in on their Thunder 5 handguns.

I just love to read things like "I shot into water & saw a 20' shot pattern" ~ Yes, that would be 20 feet & not 20 inches.

And then the one guy that wants to load his "first up" 4 rounds as shotshells & "save" the last round as .45 Long Colt.
He wants to be able to shoot at the sound of a voice in total darkness & then (I guess) save the .45 LC as his "finishing shot" ~ We need to get him some serious CombatCarry.com EDUCATION!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I SAW ONE!! A couple years ago, at a dealer's table (local gun show). While it looks ungainly and awkward in photos ...

You have NO idea!! It felt as heavy as my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" (and a lot less handy); the trigger? Nawww, don't even ask.

I took this thread as a challenge; figured I could surely propose a more useless handgun.

But, I failed ...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd consider that gun one of the most impractical (and UGLY) weapons that I've ever seen, but useless? .410 and .45LC can be effective calibers. It's a revolver, hopefully it'll go bang with each trigger pull... Hey, throw it in the glove box, never hurts to have a spare handy.

How 'bout a lorcin .380 'jam-o-matic'? I'd consider these paperweights more 'useless' than the Thunder5!

For impractical, I shot a .223 AR style pistol last fall, on a neat-o scale, I'd give it a 9, but other than just plain fun, it's pretty useless. Can't conceal it, the law would be all over you if you actually used it to defend yourself, can't hunt with it... Sure was fun though! Should'a seen the fireball :D

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I saw 1 once at a gun store. My nominee is the Jennings .22 lr pistol I once owned. You couldn't shoot a whole mag(6 shots) with out a jam. Ever.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I saw a few of them at gun shows in the past, and then they eother disappeared into oblivion or just dried up over weird interest in them. I can honestly say that I've NEVER owned one, and never will! lol.......they last retailed for around 575.00
Remeber the Sterling 22's?? I had one. Jam-a-matic as I called it.. what I peice of $^&#

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Do you also remember one that was similar to the Thunder? it was chambered in 45/70.....now THAT was a boat anchor lol.....

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
While I have to agree that the Thunder 5 is ugly and reasonably useless, a friend of mine came up with a Carbon 15 pistol at the range, like cmidkiff, I thought it was kinda neat until I touched off my first round. The muzzle blast is reminiscent of a 50BMG. I thought the gun had blown up. It blew the baseball cap off my head with the over-pressure. On examining the target after firing 10 rounds I noticed that all 10 rounds had key-holed through the target a 10 yards. I would probably be appalled to see what the rounds looked like traveling any distance spinning as bad as they were, it could easily make a 90-degree turn in mid-flight.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pot Metal Firearms

Those cheapo firearms made from Zinc Diecast are dangerous.
I KNOW for a fact that "white metal" & Zinc castings eventually get VERY brittle & will shatter like glass. It is decently tough when it is first cast & then something happens to it & it degrades.
Some of those cheap, older, pot metal handguns are long overdue for some serious safety malfunctions & possible explosions.
If you own an older Zinc diecast firearm then please don't shoot it anymore.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
There is one use I can fathom for such a firearm as a Jennings or a High Point.

Back in World War 2 they used to drop off tons of single shot pot metal guns behind enemy lines. Their purpose?

It gave a resistance fighter a chance to shoot a German and take his much nicer guns that were actually serviceable.

But even at that I just saw a Taurus Model 84 going for $125. It looks like hell. But the cylinder looked good, the side to side play was acceptable, the cylinder gap wasn't an issue, the frame is not cracked, and if you put it in full lockup the cylinder doesn't wiggle and you can see light coming through the muzzle and into the chamber. Trigger pull isn't great and it's .38 Special, not +P rated.

But I would take that gun in a heartbeat over the pot metal specials at the same price range. Its flaws are purely cosmetic.

I've seen you can buy a High Point .38 for $70 brand new. That's hard to beat if you don't even have $100.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Some far no one has named a revolver called The Clerk, or Clerke, I forget the correct spelling. It came in 22LR.

A friend of mine had one in 1976. It had no cylinder stop bolt, the hand just advanced the cylinder to 'sort of' near the barrel, and it was ready to fire.

It was made of zinc, and ultimately the owner melted this 16 dollar wonder down on a hot-plate.

What a way to wreck a perfectly good hot-plate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even good firearms makers can make some honorable mention nominees in this category. Remember the Colt 2000 and Browning BDM?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts