7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
Depends on the platform. With the Blackhawk Convertible you get 357/38 and 9mm.

Same platform in 45 Colt gets you the auto and the Auto Rim.

Same platform in 44 mag gets the Spl and the Russian.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
For most of us the .357 magnum revolver allows a range of flexibility that is hard to beat. Everything from mouse-fart .38 Special loads to full-bore bust-em-up and take no prisoners loads. All available in a handgun size, shape, and configuration to suit just about any need.

Lots of other choices for those with other needs or opinions. Personally, if I can't deal with the business at hand with a .357 I probably should have stayed home.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Now a days it would pretty much be a 38/357 I think only as ammo cost on the rest is so high /hard to get that for a new entry shooter unless you had the ammo already or only needed a few rounds ie for hunting etc ..

I am seeing 44 mag at close to 40-50 a box for fmj , hunting stuff is out of sight ditto 44 special if you can even find it same as the rest of them 41 mag ..The only one oddly that still seem to be around is 327 mag but it is pricy..

Pretty much right now any wheel gun is not the gun I would say for a new shooter due to ammo cost ... In my mind 18-20 a box for 9mm right now or 30-40 a box of 38 and more if you can find 357 mag ...

I like 45 auto rim etc but I would never suggest someone get a 45acp wheel gun due to the loading of it as 45 auto rim good luck finding any that is not a arm and a leg .. Ditto any of the cowboy stuff like long colt or 44 russian

I think though what is the better round is all about for who then anything in the end what I said above is for normal joe or guy getting into a gun .. It would be a different talk for someone has has the ability to reload and has the brass etc as that is hard to get now etc etc ...

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
One of the reasons I stick with revolvers is I can load light bullets with the lightest charges all the way up to the heaviest bullets with max charges without any worry about the gun cycling them!
My own favorite is 45 Colt. I load 160 gr bullets for small game, all the way up to 325 gr bullets loaded to the lower end of 45-70 power! [think Trapdoor loads]. With that huge case I can make any of those work. DR

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I expect to be ostracized for this, but my favorite snub revolver caliber for carry is 32 H&R magnum.

My carry gun is a S&W 431PD revolver in 32 H&R Mag.

It weighs only 13.3 oz and carries 6 shots. Plus it shoots 32 Long well and I have a lot of that I use for practice.

The ammo I use has muzzle energy between 38 Special and 38 Special +P.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Depends on the platform. With the Blackhawk Convertible you get 357/38 and 9mm.

Same platform in 45 Colt gets you the auto and the Auto Rim.

Same platform in 44 mag gets the Spl and the Russian.
Same platform in the .41 Mag gets, um . . . ah . . . well, what else would you need?

Reactions: Pete63 and G-man*

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
.357 is the standard answer, although someone could make other calibers just as versatile. I chose a Ruger Police Service Six stainless as my downed aircrew sidearm when I was flying in the Navy because of its versatility. I had JHP, armor piercing and snake shot loads with me. Also, back then, .357/.38 was one of most available calibers out there. Not so much right now.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'd agree that for most of us the .357 magnum is the most versatile option. The .44 magnum is a close second. The 327 mag has piqued my curiosity, but it's such a difficult round to find a gun chambered in compared to other options, and the ammunition availability tends to be scarce in good times.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm going to go with .38 special/.357 magnum. Wide variety of bullets from frangible, to shot, fmj, and hp. Different power levels from light .38's to full power .357.
Guns made of scandium, polymer, carbon, and stainless steel in J, K,,L, and N frame sizes.
Can be used effectively for range, self defense, and hunting.
Can be paired with a lever action rifle in the same caliber.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The .327 mag is also said to be very versatile. I almost bought one, but my finances dried up.
I agree.

Although I usually carry the 431Pd I posted above, I also have an LCR 327 that I sometimes carry,
I usually carry 32 H&R in it as it's more controllable.

The 327 LCR will shoot 327 Federal, 32 H&R magnum, 32 Long, 32 S&W, and also 32 acp.

5 Cartridges in one gun.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,456 Posts
My 454 Casull/45 Colt

Reactions: Wild Onion
1 - 20 of 48 Posts