Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid cyclist. I do it all; mountain, road, cyclocross, all of the above, minus BMX. Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a new pistol to carry while riding. As of now, I carry my XDm .40 at all times other than on my bike or at work. I need something that is ultra weather resistant. I want it to be quite small, needs to fit in a jersey pocket (yes I do wear spandex),and chambered in 40S&W. The gun will see a lot of rain, mud, and road grime. Rides usually will run 2-3 hours most days of the week. What do you think would fit the bill. In the back of my mind I am hoping to hear people rave about an XDsc, being my fav, or Glock.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Um........Glock. I even take mine with me to the shower sometimes. Sometimes. The weather? No worries with Glock. I've never entertained the thoughts of an XD, and never will for that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whatever gun you choose, use Eezox on it to clean and keep it from rusting. I've been using it for years now and love it. Check out this test.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Although I am not a fan I would say Glock.
Glock is renowned for that aspect isn't it? Coming from a non-Glock fan, that means something.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Hands down, no question about it... the Glock 27 will fill the bill. Me and my trusty G19 and G23 spent a lot of time in the "field" working in all kinds of weather. I'm ashamed to admit how much I've abused (neglected) those guns. Yet, they never rusted and always worked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input thus far. Interesting we haven't heard from the XD crowd. This may be for anoher thread but what are the chances Glock comes out with a Slimline .40S&W?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Which ever you go with, don't forget to make sure your ammo is sealed as well (as most personal defense ammo is but still check). A functioning gun with waterlogged ammo is a brick.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Glock. Easily.

The torture tests (Google time!) on the G21 are ridiculous and impressive. Buried in Road Salt and water slurry, shot with a .22LR (slide impacted), thrown out of an airplane at 1000 ft?

Still shooting...

It will take anything you throw at it (literally) and still continue to fire. Gaston Glock basically created the Pistol AK-47 with a greater emphasis on accuracy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think a stainless XD would hold up just fine, but can't say for sure. I like the XD over the Glock, but in this case, I'd probably go for the Glock simply because there are more reports of abuse. Damn you Glock, damn youuuu!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
For sure a Glock 27 fits the bill.
My 23 goes biking with me and I dont clean it every time I come home from a ride, no rust what so ever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts