Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have em all around the house outside and feel a lot more secure with the idea of decreased liability as I provide proper lighting for the BG to safely run away.

Anyone besides me use em inside the house? I have several located at strategic junctions in my home so that if I hear a noise I can locate the intruder.
I also like the idea of the BG standing in the lighted hallway with no night vision as I sit in the darkness and have a nice sight picture.

Anyone have any comments as to the "pros and cons" of this ?

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I have exterior motion sensing lights, but have never considered putting any inside. Hmmmmmm. Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
These indoor motion activated lights are fairly inexpensive, so no harm in buying a couple
and experimenting.

There is a safety factor for just everyday getting around the house stuff after lights out. No groping
around for the wall switch or stumbling over the kids toys.

I've switched from leaving lights on to using night lights-- a bunch of the led type. They don't provide
much light but do put out enough to avoid falls. I think they are low light enough that a flashlight-strobe
would still do quite a number on an intruder.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I have sensors on the outside of my house to trigger inside lights. Let me explain....most folks are used to the porch or floodlights coming on when they detect motion. When someone gets into our driveway or yard about 5 feet we have one or two inside lights turn on. The idea is the BG now knows someone is awake and might really think twice about coming in.

This is set up for every side of our property at different lengths. Our back yard will trigger one light and if they continue closer more lights will turn on.

In NH we had a much more elaborate system.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
A very bright 'flash' inside our home is all the light that will be needed."hand9:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Never used them as a security measure as much as normal convenience... Ie Just having the lights on when you walkin. Actual utility would vary wildly based on your layout.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I have them around my house; also it's a good idea to walk around the house occasionally at night to see how they are working.

My daughter and SIL moved in a new house a few years ago, they also installed a 4 camera system on key parts of the exterior. Shortly after they moved in I helped my SIL install motion lights around his house. Late one night their neighborhood got a serious probe from outsiders looking for whatever they could steal that wasn't tied down. The next day, when the word got out about the probe/thefts, my SIL checked the HD for his cameras activity and sure enough there are two dudes at about 2 am walking up his driveway toward his house. When they got close the motion light came on and lit them up, they both clearly did a 180 and left on to, I guess, softer/easier targets.

·
Super Moderator
19,014 Posts
Outdoor motion sensors lights, indoor the motion sensor has 4 paws and teeth.

Reactions: elmacgyver0

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Just installed some LED 20 WATT motion sensors from Costco. The dog will set them off but thats ok because you can set the time and sensitivty of the units. They are really bright. Only 20 WATTs. I like to see whats up with the dog anyway. But I still need to mess with the settings. Amazon.com: Lithonia LED Outdoor Security Floodlight with Dusk to Dawn Light Sensor, Motion Activated Perimeter Protection, White: Patio, Lawn & Garden

They had them on sale at costco but have not seen them again.

·
Registered
45,430 Posts
Every motion dectector I've had had failed within a year. The sun here seems to eat them up. For inside, they do have plug in nitelights with motion detectors. Not real bright, but certainly enough to illuminate a BG.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We have motion lights all over the inside of our house. They make motion sensitive light switches that are super easy to install and still work like a regular switch. We have one in the kitchen, dining room, foyer, and office since each of these have an exterior entry door. We installed them as more of a convience to us than for security since we also have a home security system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Voice Alert system as well, definitely recommended! It'll work well to give you a few extra seconds' warning, before anyone attempts to enter the house. I also have motion lights on the driveway and relatively less bright (but plenty for their purpose) battery-operated LED lights at various points around the house (bought from Costco online). Inside the house, I have several of these night lights that will light up if the power goes out, that could be useful.

My alarm also has a cell-backup to the monitoring company. All of this provides just a little extra peace of mind :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hmmm... I like that idea. The only down side is that I dont want to shed light on the claymores. Those are supposed to be a surprise.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I can see how they would be useful inside. We have several motion/flood lights outside. I have not installed them in the house because I believe an intruder should meet the dogs in the dark.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts