Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I searched and searched and did not find anything recent, so I thought I would ask everyone to weigh in again on how they carry while on a bicycle. I recently picked up a mountain bike to do some trails and some road travel to get some exercise, and have yet to be able to carry on it (I am using it so far to get to and from campus where the policy is no firearms).

So that being said, I am looking into this one: Rip Cord Fanny Pack - BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters as a fanny pack, or this one: CamelBak TransFormer™ for some hydration which is not necessary, but would be nice to be able to put everything in.

Neither one seems to scream perfect solution to me. Anyone want to give me some thoughts, other ideas, or anything else?

·
Super Moderator
50,582 Posts
I think that the simple BagMaster fanny pack will work very well for you. If needed you can swing it to the side...enjoy the ride.:bier:

·
Registered
995 Posts
I ride a bike daily and I carry my gun in one of two ways. I carry a 1911 in a Don Hume IWB clip holster so that it is relative easy to remove and store (I say, "relatively easy." The metal clip is so good that I can't see any possible way that holster would ever come off if the gun had to be drawn in a hurry). I think I paid $32 for this holster and it is a bargain and very comfortable.

The other means of carrying is a shoulder holster. I use a Shoulder Holster from Galco. It is my preferred method of carry and whenever I can conceal it, I go with the shoulder holster.

My son uses a military style "cross the chest" style shoulder holster for biking.

If you are biking to and from school and "store" your gun when you arrive to class, maybe the IWB clip holster would work best for you. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't found a way to carry while riding a road bike yet with the lightweight, snug fitting, minimalist clothing of that sport... but I always wear a CamelBak backpack type hydration system while mountain biking.

Like others have said it would take waaaaay too long to access a weapon from a backpack setup, but I ran across this Ka-Bar fanny pack in another thread on this forum not too long ago (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/84966-mtn-biking-concealcarry.html) which looks like it would be worth a try. You can check it out at PACK-115 - Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack Black Nylon Adjustable From 32" to 45". (Amazon.com also has it with free shipping right now.)

One should be able to wear a hydration pack and this Ka-Bar pack together because the hydration pack normally sits a bit higher on your back (depending on how large your pack is, of course) but a little testing would still be in order here. I still haven't decided on buying one yet or not.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
OK, I am obviously not on a road bike in the photos, but these are not "roadie" pants, either, in the photos of me, wearing a Safepacker, in this thread, on page seven:

Southwest/West Houston BF get together? - Page 7 - Bike Forums

You have to be a member to see the photos, but if you are a cyclist, why not sign up?

The britches are Rapha Fixed Shorts. The Safepacker is big enough for a 5.5" sixgun, larger than needed for the P229 that is in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This should work for bicycles too...

:image035:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gang. I see a couple here that I am going to check out... I like the idea of a camelbak because that is what I usually wear, but I do not have one inbetween size as of right now. I do not wear biker gear, just some running shorts and a t-shirt of whatever kind so keeping my shorts up with a firearm attached is just not going to happen, not to mention the printing issue once wind starts whipping by.

FranV45 which camelbak do you have by chance? They used to have some stuff that was marketed for CC but it seems that they have gone all PC lately.

Goldy - the cross the chest thing sounds great, but not concealable. I am not ready to step into open carry by any means.

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can't remember who makes it. There was a frame rail mounted holster (like a bike repair kit) that was available. Velcroed to the seat down-tube and the cross-tube. It would hold a XD9SC, but that was pushing the envelope.

A way around it is you can find one of the kit pouches that mount in that location and have velcro sewn in, then just add the 5.11 velcro holster that goes in the 5.11 or Maxpedition bags.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
FranV45 which camelbak do you have by chance?
I have a HAWG, which could carry just about anything considered a handgun, plus lots of other gear. I also have the much smaller Lobo. I just put my .45 Colt Commander into the Lobo's only real zippered pocket and it fit pretty good - not too tight. But, I'm not sure if a full 5" 1911 would fit.

Like diverdown247 said, if your bike has a triangular frame you might look into a frame pack. Maybe you could rig up some kind of holster in one of those, just make sure the zipper stays shut while riding! Something like this maybe: Nashbar Frame Pack Bag

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the way... my HAWG is a 2003 and the Lobo is a 2005 (I think). I believe they both have less capacity than the current models, especially the Lobo.

I wouldn't go with the Lobo if you plan on carrying your gun with it. If you crash your weapon has almost no protection. I would pick one of the packs that has a multi-layered pocket system. So you'd basically be putting your gun in-between a complete outside pocket and the area where the water bladder goes, or maybe another pocket.

The CamelBak fanny pack is also a good idea, like TX-JB just recommended. Check em all out at Home - CamelBak.com > Sports-Recreation. Look at the Government-Military packs too.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I used to carry my NAA Guardian in a IWB holster I mounted on the handlebar.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I recently bought a road bike and I do not ride without carrying my P-11 in this http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1

I got the TommyGunPack while it was on sale for $90. Two tone with all the deluxe upgrades. It was a luxury buy for me but I really like it. The pistol compartment is fully padded, the magazine compartment has magazine slots, and there is another compartment for wallet, keys and cell phone. If you get put on their mailing list they will e-mail you when they have sales. Some sales will get you their packs half off with free shipping. I have worn this pack running too with no problems.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
You might want to look into the Jogger Concealment Rig which you can find here.

Seems to me it would be perfect for people on bicycles!

This is from the website:
The Jogger lets you carry a small to large frame gun comfortably and concealed while exercising. And unlike a waist pack, the Jogger will not bounce or move, so there’s nothing banging against your body nor chafing. It doesn't look like a gun rig—so no one will suspect you're carrying a gun.

The Jogger is fully adjustable and won't restrict your movement. The straps and belt distributes the weight of your gun across the back and shoulders making it feel almost weightless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have and use the ActionPak (Jogger Concealment Rig) mentioned above. It works very well for running, biking and backpacking.

In my opinion there are 2 downsides to this rig. I carry a 4" XD-9 and it barely fits inside the velcro area of the pack and is difficult to draw because of the top of the pack being stitched in the center. The other drawback is that there is nothing to secure your handgun in one spot so a smaller gun moves around and may not stay in the best position for a smooth draw.

I am modifying mine by removing the stitching in the top panel so the entire front portion can be pulled down and adding a pocket and velcro strap inside to hold my XD secure in one position.

The pocket on the outside is very large and will hold keys, wallet, spare mag, flashlight, pepper spray and is a convenient place for an MP3 player.

The rig can be worn low by your stomach or high up on your chest like I do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well looks like the fanny pack I got is a no-go. Between the H&K and the water bladder it is uncomfortable and either flops around or pulls way away from the body and flops vertically.

Guess I am going to get a camelback backpack with a little bit of storage capacity and use that instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts