Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get input from forum members on what you consider a safe mounting solution for securing a holster inside your vehicle. The mounting options I have seen are Screws, Velcro, and Straps.
Have any of you have used Velcro or Straps to mount to the console or under the steering column? I’m in Texas where it gets very hot in my truck so I’m afraid the Velcro will not work, and I have only seen the Strap solution for under the steering column, buy I’m not sure how secure that would be, or if I would have room for my knuckles when trying to draw.
Personally I prefer the Screw option for safety, but I would like to hear back about what you think and used.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Just food for thought...
You are in an accident caused by an out-of-State idiot.
You are rendered unconscious and need to go to the hospital.
You now have your unsecured firearm in your vehicle which is being towed 'somewhere'.
I personally prefer it to be on my person. Yes, ambulance crew or ER personnel may turn it over to LEO, but it's not "out there somewhere".
That said, I would use bolts/nuts/washers rather than screws.
Might also look into magnets.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
In addition to the concerns posted above, if you do decide to mount something, I strongly advise that it be done in such a manner that it cannot be seen from outside the vehicle. I would not want someone to see a holster and have incentive to break into the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made a quick kydex holster for my LC9 and mounted it inside my center console (under the armrest) in my vehicle. I used Velcro and it has held up fine over a couple of Texas summers.
It is completely out of sight from outside the vehicle. It is also completely contained within the latching center console, so if it were to come loose in a collision, it would just bounce around inside the console.
I don't keep it in the car very often as I also prefer to have my pistol on my person, but it is convenient to use occasionally.
My biggest concern is not the quality of mounting, but the relative insecurity of the gun in the car. While I don't leave anything visible in my vehicle to make it a target, there is always the chance for a Smash & Grab in which the thief would certainly open the console and find a gun.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I have a Glock "sport combat" cheap kydex holster screwed to the center console of my car for use in the winter when it would be all but impossible to draw wearing a heavy coat and a seat belt. As soon as I stop the car the gun goes in the holster on my body. I keep a baseball cap to hang over the holster when I'm not in the car so no one sees a holster and has incentive to break in the car even though the holster is empty when they would have seen it if it weren't covered.

If I must leave a gun in my car I have a little metal lock box safe under the passenger side floor mat and that is attached to the seat frame with a cable. Not the safest thing, but it is what I can make work for me.

·
Banned
240 Posts
I suggest weapon should be holstered on you in vehicle. That being said, I am not an advocate of leaving weapons in vehicles but I understand that there are occasions when u can not CC (for example federal buildings). Tehered lock boxes only reduce opportunity theft but if a thief is prepared they are not any good and in my opinion false security solution.

Another alternative is to use any number of heavy duty vehicle vault products on the market to safely secure the weapon from theft if you need to leave weapon in vehicle temporaily. This is approach I use.

Vehicle vault I use is fire and water proof too. Basically bomb proof vehicle heavy duty gun safe solution but it is worth it to me and for my gun smithing business.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I use Serpas mounted to lower dash....

That way the seat belt doesn't interfere with access. Then when I get out, gun goes in my holster.

(these are left hand holsters)

Attachments

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I use a velcro holster mounted in my console. Out of sight yet easy to reach while seat belted in.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When I get my car back (in the shop), my BUG will be mounted via a Go-Mag, using one of their larger plates. It's not intended to remain there when I'm out of the vehicle, but will allow access that the seat belt won't.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
This has been discussed before. The Internet warriors here did not like my setup, which I have been running in three vehicles for 4-years w/o a problem.

Do a Search for Gun Creek to see what I use.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Check your state laws. In TX, the gun has to be out of plain view if not on you (CHL). If you have a CHL you can open carry if the gun is on you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts