Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
What parts of it are you looking to use threadlocker for?

You will probably need tools to take apart whatever you use that on.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What parts of it are you looking to use threadlocker for?

You will probably need tools to take apart whatever you use that on.
Good point, maybe on the 30 mm optic mount per RS Regulate AK System (Upper).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yup. That's what I use. Never had a problem with stuff backing out or getting loose. Still comes back apart easy enough if necessary.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Don't use red or green as they are very difficult to take apart. Blue 242 hold well but will allow you to take it apart without destroying the hardware, most of the time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you use just a single drop of Blue on the threads you will be able to easily remove the bolt later with the proper tool. Do not use red.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Red Loctite gets used for things that should never come apart. Blue Loctite gets used on everything that needs to stay put but could be subject to replacement or removal.

The same bottle of red Loctite has been in my father's cleaning kit for many years. The blue bottle was probably purchased within the last couple.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You DO NOT want to use Red loctite. In order to remove it without damaging the part, you would probably need to use heat.

Blue loctite is my choice for firearms related attachments that are NOT directly associated with optics. As an example, the screws mounting a Weaver or Picatinny rail get "blue" - which is 242.

My go-to for putting scope mounts/rings onto rails, and just about any other optic-related choice is Loctite "Purple", also known as "vibra-tight". That's Loctite 222 for anyone that doesn't want to get cross-threaded. I find that you can use a little bit more, spread out evenly, and still get good results. Also, you are able to break it free with less risk of damaging fasteners should you need to.

My general practice is to remove the rails, degrease, and then re-attach with Blue. Once that has set, I will put on the rings or mounts, put the scope into place, and carefully torque everything, and verify with a quick boresight that things are close to lining up. Once that is done I begin the process of loctite, one bolt or fastener at a time. I'll remove the bolt completely, apply the loctite, and then re-fasten and re-torque. Normally this makes sure that the entire mount is correctly in place and evenly torqued when you are done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts