Gotta throw my dos pesos in here...
My KelTec P32 is my \"always\" gun. I may have another one with me, but the one that\'s always there in my right front pants pocket is the P32. Mine\'s been rock-solid reliable after a light fluff and buff.
The little guns require head shots, just like the .22 does. So why pay 15x as much for practice ammo, hmm? What nearly everyone does is practice 10x less, shoot for the chest, and pray. The Kahr PM9 9mm is smaller and lighter than the 38 snub. It\'s very \"pocketable\", altho it does need the sharp corner at the front of the slide severely rded off and tapered. It\'s both more controlable and more powerful than the .38 snub. It\'s got twice the power of a 380, 4x the power of a P32.
Price is a consideration, too. The CZ 70 cost me $80 when I bought it, and ammo was cheap, too. It was more accurate than many of the 22lr mouse guns I tried, and I felt more confident with a .32 than a 22. The Fed Hydra Shok.32 ammo had a muzzle velocity of 950 FPS, and energy of 130 foot pounds. No elephant killer, for sure! The 22? Well, out of a RIFLE barrel, the Fed 36gr HP generates 155 FPS, and muzzle energy of 125 foot pounds. Hmm, out of a dinky snub barrel? Who knows, but certainly much less. Thanks, I\'ll go with what I can A) afford, and B) has more oomph.
Nowadays, I probably would have bought a Makarov, for even more oomph, with almost the same concealability, for near the same price.
Not everyone can afford $500 for a CCW piece. Best get the best you can get, and go from there. If that means a $90 CZ70, or a $140 Makarov, well, get it, practice, and be good with what you carry. Better a good shot with a cheap light caliber gun, than no shot with the .45 still on layaway....
oftentimes, 200 ft lbs between two loads makes no difference at all, even on animals that are much smaller than a man. Especially if the loads are too low velcocity to expand reliably in flesh (ie, 1100fps in a .45, 1300 fps in a 9mm.)
$300 is somebody who doesn\'t practice enough to be worth a hoot at defensive shooting (with a centerfire anyway). He also aint likely to be worth a hoot at hand to hand. Better get the priorities straight. If you get maimed or killed, all those other \"important\" issues are going to be meaningless.
i dont carry anthing smaller than 9mm most of the reason is i can find a mouse gun that fits my big paws my sub compact 9mm is as small as i could find carry and shoot comfortably unless ya want to call it a mouse it is pretty small easy to carry and conceal.
Originally posted by meme
than the Kahr 9mm. That\'s silly, why settle for half as much power? why pay twice as much for practice ammo? if you can\'t pocket the gun, why not have some real power, range, and controlability?
The way I like to put it in class is this way. Is what your going to carry or carrying better than a rock?
So the test I use is this:
What will you carry the most? If you don\'t have it what good is it?
What can you afford? See the first one.
Is it better than a rock?
From reports we know that 90+% of the time any firearm is better than a rock, because the BG is going to stop the act that prompted you to produce a firearm or make the BG aware that you have a firearm. So 90% or more of the time any firearm is better than a rock. For the other 10% or less you need to practice with what you carry.
Personally I only carry \"Mouse Guns\" as a BUG not a primary. I am able to dress around the gun I wish to carry, so I carry fairly large guns regularly. My wife carries a \"Mouse Gun\" as her primary as it is the only thing that works with her required wardrobe and her size. She is a size 0 or 2 depending on the clothing manufacturer. I\'d rather she have any gun versus having a rock.
I haven't been in a gun shop in ages. But looking around online, I'm not seeing much in the way of P320s or M&P .45s for sale. Are inventories sparse these days? I'm looking for a P320 .45 full size or M&P .45 full size and not finding any.
Was thinking the other day that the gun I actually carry second-most often to my usual pocketed pair of LCPs at work is not actually what I would have thought...one of my Glocks.
No, my second-most often carried sidearm is actually my .22 LR NAA Mini revolver. Why? Before I get dressed, it...
A forum community dedicated to defensive firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about everyday carry, optics, holsters, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!