Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm may go to grad school in one of the following areas -- how hard is it to obtain a permit there.

Massachusetts (Boston) (May Issue)
New Jersey (Camden) (May Issue)
D.C. (May Issue)

I used this site to help get an idea Handgunlaw.us

Thanks all --- I'm gonna try to attend a school in Philadelphia or somewhere in VA (GTG w/ my PA LTC).

Thanks Everybody!!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
May Issue=May Not Issue

What is your field of study? Perhaps you should keep shopping for schools. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
MA from my understanding it is possible to get a permit.

NJ slim to none.

DC forget it, you might get a permit to own a gun there, but not to carry.

However, if you go to school in DC, you might choose to live in VA, and obtaining a permit will not be a problem, you just cannot carry it in DC.

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
You can forget DC, they have no carry permits, just a long drawn out permit to own, and right now "own" means locked up in your house.

Don't think you stand much chance in NJ either...

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I'd pick a new college...in a gun friendly state like UT...OMO

·
Registered
142 Posts
Boston seems like your best bet.
I hear it helps a lot if you have a permit from your home state already also.
Otherwise they are known to restrict the permits so that it lets you purchase and own hi-capacity firearms, but doesn't allow you to carry them concealed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would agree w/the other posters that MA would be the best bet RIGHT NOW. However, there is a case(Palmer v. DC) that will be heard in January challenging DC's carry laws. So that avenue may open up sooner rather than later.
Keep in mind most colleges don't allow carry, and some states regard it as a crime(or you just get expelled).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
MA does NOT recognize students as "residents" unless they graduated HS in MA! Therefore it's almost unheard of for a student to get a Resident LTC at all.

Boston proper will NOT issue a "carry" level of permit unless the person is very well connected politically or business owner and can prove very large sums of cash (or jewels) are carried on a regular basis (must provide deposit slips and bank statements). For Residents they will issue a LTC-A but it is restricted to target and hunting.

MGLs Ch. 269 S. 10(j) make it a misdemeanor to possess any firearm, ammo or OC on any school property (K-college). Only exceptions are LEOs and LTC-A (unrestricted or FID for OC only) holder who has received WRITTEN permission from school president (forget about it) or his designee. So you'd have to live off-campus to possess and couldn't carry at the school property even if you got proper permit.

A NR LTC can be issued by MA State Police (actually CHSB) for $100/year and an annual visit/interview with CHSB in Chelsea.

To get a MA license, you have to take a training course ($75-150 typical) from a MSP Certified Instructor and produce a MSP Training Certificate (1st time only). Every one of the 351 cities/towns makes up their own rules for any potentially additional BS that you have to provide. Some require that you join a gun club (Boston just dropped that requirement), pass a range test (Boston and Brookline in particular), provide doctor letters (attesting to your mental state), etc.

There is a ton of info on this in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum found at Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Wow, you picked some pretty tough places for gun permits. Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Come to UVA in Charlottesville, VA, great school and great location.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, you picked some pretty tough places for gun permits. Good luck.
Yeah I know it sucks -- thats where a lot of good schools are though.... I knew NYC was a no-go so i didn't even bother to look there. Ah well hopefully I can just stay in Philadelphia.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Come to UVA in Charlottesville, VA, great school and great location.
OTOH, no carry on campus, for students and employees -- by school rules and regs, not state Law.

·
Registered
359 Posts
OTOH, no carry on campus, for students and employees -- by school rules and regs, not state Law.
What college in VA allows carry by student or teacher? Maybe Liberty.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
What are you studying? Come to Utah, unless you attend BYU, you can carry into your classroom with no problems, I do it all the time. (Except during the academy classes)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Even the thought of concealed carry in D.C. is wrong. It makes it harder for the predators to ply thier trade.

·
Registered
155 Posts
NJ is almost impossible! cops, armed gaurd, and guys w vending machines will get ccw. I own a jewelry store and I am expected to hire security! This state is purgatory! BTW!!!!! Camden is the center of Hell! At one time it was the highest murder rate per capita, in the USA. Or was per sq. mile? Either way, dont want to be there. IMHO

1 - 20 of 30 Posts