Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm moving to Tempe AZ soon if my credit check for the apartment and a whole bunch of other stuff clears (which it will). I've been told by a police officer from that area that Tempe can be pretty wild at times. Right now I live in a town of 542 people so if any of you have come good CCW/situational awareness tactics you could throw at me, I'd appreciate it.

I was reading another thread and HappyGunner said that when he's loading groceries into his truck , he has hif wife atand guard. thats a great tactic IMHO. I'll be doing the same wiht my girlfriend (although I don't think anyone would mess with us when I have a gothic vampire with me
)

Anywho, what are some other things I should know?

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
To be honest Justin - I don't think it matters where you are or will be - the same ''rules'' apply really.

So - con' yellow should still embrace all the sensory aspects of alertness, and, maintain distance from possible problem situations. Guess too we can include the old friend ''common sense'' - it has much useful value :smilez:

If girlfriend is with you then for sure some ''team'' approach is excellent - that is always improving odds I think. Oh and, probably goes without saying - know the AZ laws re carry, restrictions thereof, etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris :)

I'm always aware of my surroundings and stuff like that :) I just never thought of the "having the gf stand guard" thing, and was wondering if anyone else had any cool things like that :)

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Be aware of ruses to get you isolated, distracted, cornered. fender benders, fake calls for assistance ,ect. Just use your head, be wary of people and cond. yellow.
the majority of people out there are good, just a few bad apples. Enjoy your new job.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
AZ doesn't honor other states' permits for their own residents. In other words, once you become a "resident", your PA CWL isn't good there. It's still good in other states, but not in AZ. Kinda silly, but I guess they want their money.

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
Tempe is wild, alright, from a partying sense. It is one of the more liberal cities surrounding Phoenix, probably less illegal aliens, more college students and democrats than other areas of town, but alot happens in Tempe. Relatively high crime all over the Phoenix (and surrounding area) so just stay on your toes and you will be fine. If you have never experienced a truly hot dry experience, get ready for summer. It will be an eye opener for you. Winters are great! Not that summer isn't, particularly if you have some water toys.....

Get signed up for an AZ CCW permit when you hit town, it opens up alot of states for you. We LOVE our guns here :smile:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with the idea to sign-up for the Arizona Republic. When I was planning on relocating there, my ex-GF and I subscribed. Great area, great paper, well as good as local newspapers get.
You can get the online version at www.arizonarepublic.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
srfl, here ya go, lol :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Thanks guys. I'll defenitley get that online paper once I get there. :banana:

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
dpesec said:
I agree with the idea to sign-up for the Arizona Republic. When I was planning on relocating there, my ex-GF and I subscribed. Great area, great paper, well as good as local newspapers get.
Here, we call it (due to it's liberal position on everything) the Arizona Repugnant, but it is the biggest paper around for ads and such. They helped beat last year's law that would have allowed us to carry, with a CCW, into restaurants that serve beer, wine and liquor as long as we didn't consume.

When you get moved, check out The Tribune. :wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My fiance lives in Tempe (right on Mill Ave), and I've been known to stay at her place quite often. Like Bumper said, it is a college town, definately the more liberal part of Phoenix. Be aware a large part of town is places that serve alcohol or campus property. (Both are no-no's here.)

Give me a PM if you want any info/ have any other questions/ want to a friendly face when you get here.

P.S.- If you're from PA bring a supply of Yuengling, they don't have it here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts