Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally stopped fighting the 45 acp urge and jumped in.... with a Glock 36.

Took her home today, with 100 rounds of WWB 230 gr FMJ... and plan to start breaking her in after work on Friday. Need to grab my daily allotment of 45 acp ammo, which most shops have, but locally it's selling at $26/per 50 ct box, so I need to find a better/cheaper source.

I tried out the G30, but while I liked the capacity, the grip was just not "right" for me... and I am an XL gloves kind of guy! Funny that the the G17/19/26 all feel fine, but that double stack of 45 just turns the G30 into a proverbial boom-brick. It's looking like several of my holsters for the Glock 9mm's will also fit the G36, so I'm in good shape for leather. I will need to find a good mag carrier, as most of my single-stack 9mms are too small for the G36 mag, and with only 7 rounds, I plan to carry at least one extra mag at all times. And I'm still trying to decide about sights: for some reason, I am leaning towards a Ghost-ring site... lots of pros and cons, and never tried it, just not sure yet. Hard to beat the comfort level with Tijicons, as they have been on most of my Glocks in the past.

You know what they look like: but there is just something special about the single stack Glock 45... I just may be a full-convert to the caliber...and if so, some of you may be interested in picking up my 9mm Glocks!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you try the SF version of the Glock 30? It's what I carry, and I love the way it feels in my hand. Perfect. Plus, I have 21 rounds of .45 ACP on my person at all times... hard to beat. You already seem sold though. Nothing wrong with that! Welcome to the .45 club! :biggrin2:

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did hold a G30, but loaded, it was way heavy, and still really thick for me to get a hold. The 36 just felt best. But who knows? After I get accustomed to the recoil, I may decide to look closer... baby steps for me!

I've been a 9mm shooter for almost 30 years!

Not exactly quick to change!

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Sound caliber choice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's true, the weight of all those cartridges adds up. You should try the SF version sometime when you get the chance, see if you like the feel any better than the regular Glock 30. And that is a long time shooting 9mm.

For some reason, I seem to be a much better shot with the .45 than the 9mm... not sure why. Tried all sorts of different firearms in both calibers, .45 just does it best for me. Maybe I expect the bigger boom and overanticipate with the 9mm? Who knows?

Anyway, good luck! Happy shooting. Let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
I carry a G20 in SF. I use a hybrid IWB holster to tote mine around.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A 36 is a great choice (I had one and am still kicking myself for letting it go). You likely won't need to break it in much at all. Mine was good from the very first round. I found it to be a pretty soft shooting gun.

Why did I get rid of it? I preferred carrying my Kimber Compact CDP as a .45 as it held one more round with a far better trigger and night sights. The Glock had become a safe queen. Still Glocks are terrific handguns and I regret getting rid of the two subcompact ones I owned (the other was a 26). I still have my old 17 though.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Nice choice! This will be my next Glock once my bank account fills up again. Love the single stack slimness. And $26 per 50 of .45 ACP is NOT a bad price. I'd buy 20 boxes at that price! 45 is always traditionally more expensive than 9mm or 40 S&W. If you find it at $26 a box again get it!

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, I know!

At one point, I started with with Glock 19. then added the Glock 26. Then added the Glock 17. Eventually sold the 19, as the 26 became easier for me to carry, and still kind of regret splitting up the family!

So now I'll start with the baby of the family, the G26... pretty sure there will be others to follow!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Good choice

I think the G36 is a good choice, and I like mine very much. The gun weighs 21 ounces empty, is quite slim, and conceals very easily. Mine is surprisingly accurate for a small .45, and I have carried it quite a bit. Mine competes for carry time with a Colt Defender and a Sig P245, which are also small .45s.

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
I like my G36 and enjoy shooting it. Very accurate for a short sight radius. However, the 637 snub ends up the primary carry most days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bad experiences with 9mm Glocks in the '90's made me a Glock Hater. I am now a comfirmed and rabid HK fanatic. However something about the G36 really intrigues me.

I look forward to your updates and reflections on your new pistol.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Isn't "breaking in a Glock" an oxymoron?

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL

Breaking in is not for the Glock.... it's for me!

This will be my first .45 ever.... kinda nervous and not sure what to expect! I know the GLock will do just fine... it's the shooter I'm concerned about!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
LOL

Breaking in is not for the Glock.... it's for me!

This will be my first .45 ever.... kinda nervous and not sure what to expect! I know the GLock will do just fine... it's the shooter I'm concerned about!
Just do the same old thing you already do (I hope) concentrate on the front sight as you press the trigger to the rear; the recoil on a G36 .45 is more of a push than a snap... I love the recoil of a Glock 36; I could ride that all day long!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you want big, try the 10mm Glock. The terminal ballistics from 9x19mm through .45ACP are nearly identical, but 10mm is like a hand cannon by comparison.

532050_463899280353194_308246859_n.jpg

·
Registered
933 Posts
I really like my G 36. It is my primary EDC. Mine has been very very reliable and accurate. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts