Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MS has passed a new law that, effective 1 July 2013, allows for open carry without a permit. It has long been argued my many in the state that it was already legal because it was not specifically prohibited by the State Constitution. The Attorney General disagreed. The new law makes any argument moot.
Gonzo

·
Registered
36,987 Posts
MS has passed a new law that, effective 1 July 2013, allows for open carry without a permit. It has long been argued my many in the state that it was already legal because it was not specifically prohibited by the State Constitution. The Attorney General disagreed. The new law makes any argument moot.
Gonzo

Actually, the issue was moot before the law was passed, the legality of OC being debateable. The AG should have been able to quote a statute prohibitibng OC--put up or shut up. As of 1 July, it will be unquestioned. Still, it's a refreshing step forward in 2A support.

·
Registered
36,987 Posts
It was a good post, and now you're one definition smarter.:scratchchin:

Reactions: grouse

·
Registered
562 Posts
Gonzo,

Just smile and say 'preciate it! Some folks will quibble when given a hundred dollar bill ( because it wasn't two fifties ). Life would be dull without them.

·
Registered
36,987 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
A state that passes a law to clarify its existing laws as they pertain your 2nd ammendment right is an awesome thing!

This thread has been up for 3 1/2 days now and there are a whopping 14 posts about it. We should be able to show at least as much praise for the good as we do disdain for the bad..... but it seems praising the good things isn't as much fun as complaining about the bad ones.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I didn't see this before this morning.:blink:

Congrats MS...:congrats:

Reactions: AZJD1968

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
[/B]

Actually, the issue was moot before the law was passed, the legality of OC being debateable. The AG should have been able to quote a statute prohibitibng OC--put up or shut up. As of 1 July, it will be unquestioned. Still, it's a refreshing step forward in 2A support.
Mississippi does have a case history where open carry was ruled illegal. They had ruled that a gun even partially cover with anything was such a holster, was partially concealed and you must have a permit. I guess someone could have came up with a clear holster.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
They are headed in the right direction as far as their gun laws, but as a native of Mississippian, I left in 1953, if they would now repeal their state income tax I might would consider relocating back to the Ms. Gulf Coast.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The Attorney General disagreed.
Good to hear the OC news. But I wondered, if there was no law prohibiting OC before, on what was the AG basing his argument? Were OCers getting spurious charges like "going armed to terrorize the citizenry"? [D'oh! I just saw #17]

Most places with unlicensed OC, like Colorado outside Denver, simply have no laws prohibiting OC.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A state that passes a law to clarify its existing laws as they pertain your 2nd ammendment right is an awesome thing!

This thread has been up for 3 1/2 days now and there are a whopping 14 posts about it. We should be able to show at least as much praise for the good as we do disdain for the bad..... but it seems praising the good things isn't as much fun as complaining about the bad ones.
The problem is many do not like the idea of OC so they ignore anything good about OC.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts