Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have considered whether you should carry while riding a bike and I have even wondered that myself. I came across this today and it solidified that I will carry everytime I go out.

Teen arrested in man's slaying

Of course there are no details but considering I have riden those trails 100's of times and at varrying times of the day it is conceivable that I could happened upon something like this.

I just thought I would share...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Anyone who spends much time at all on a bike, whether on trails or on the road knows that you're extremely exposed and that there are a lot of crazies out there.

I wouldn't consider not arming myself when I ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone who spends much time at all on a bike, whether on trails or on the road knows that you're extremely exposed and that there are a lot of crazies out there.

I wouldn't consider not arming myself when I ride.
Whenever legal, I'd agree. There's one trail I have frequented in the past that sits on elementary school property. :nono: Big bummer since it's a great MTB trail.

It's funny (and a little sobering) to think about where I used to ride as a kid (early 80s). Back then the biggest threats I ever considered were dogs on country roads, and I could usually outrun them. Not so much anymore. I'm sure there were crazies back then as well, ignorance being bliss, but these days I tell my 6 y/o he can't ride any farther than he can see the house.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I carry when I ride, but I still feel vulnerable. There is a 5 mile loop around my house I like to do (actually did it just this morning in fact). I hate the feeling that someone could be along side my path in a bush and just hit me with a bat or something. If someone wanted to do that and then rob you while you were down I'm not sure how much you'd be able to defend yourself. Not really something to dwell on though I guess. At least if they didn't knock me out they'd be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bike, scooter, moped or rollerskates, im packing. We've all heard and said it "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya nlghthawk. You just never know who might be out there, and up to no good.

I ride both mountain and road bikes and haven't carried yet while riding either. Now that I have an LCP I'll try to figure out how to secure it in a Camelbak for mountain biking, but it still would take so long to get to it that it wouldn't be much good if it was needed in a split second. I'm thinking that I would pretty much have to stop, remove the Camelbak, access the zippered pocket, and draw... this could take maybe 4 or 5 seconds.

I can't really imagine packing it on a road bike except maybe in a wallet type holster, like a DeSantis Super Fly. I don't use the Camelbak while on the road bike so it would have to go in a jersey pocket... which also means it could get real sweaty!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My fiance Slickshot and I Bike almost every day (weather permitting) we both use fanny packs for this.
I put my G23, creds, and a small flashlight in it, works well for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I road bike a fair amount - about 100 miles a week when the weather cooperates. I fanny pack carry every time. It doesn’t add that much weight, and if you get a good fanny pack, it’s pretty comfortable. Not the quickest presentation, but at least I’m armed.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Take a look at the new Ka-Bar "TDI" fanny pack. I bought one as soon as I figured-out how it really worked (but it took a minute or two). The only mods I've made are; added a (soldering-iron stippled) 1" black plastic ball for the zipper pull and sewed-on a bright red Rapala lure patch so it appears to hold fishing tackle. Covert, quick & well-built.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts