Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to carry a Victorinox Swisstool until the sheath finally wore out. Still have the tool, but its too heavy to toss in a pocket. Now it just sits in the kitchen junk drawer. Back in my military days I had a beltpouch from Nite-Ize that held a multitool, flashlight, a couple of allen wrenches, a couple pens, and a pocketknife. Ok so it weighed a couple pounds but what the hell, I was prepared for damn near anything.

Now I am looking to get a new multi tool and flashlight for everyday carry. I am considering a Leatherman Charge XTI for a new toy. Then when I started reading up on flashlights...ok I am behind the power curve now. Flashlights have become a LOT more complicated since last time I went shopping.

So, what can you all reccomend for a basic entry level flashlight. I don't think I need one of the new 'Tactical' gizmos that does everything but paint my house, I just want a flashlight. You know...to see things when there isn't enough light, not to blind and confuse assailants.

I used to have one of the ever popular mini-mag lights. Could not stand the dang thing. I would accidently twist it on almost every time I put it away and went through four changes of batteries in a week.

Finally, I would like a basic leather sheath that would fit both multi-tool and flashlight. Custom would be good but I don't want to wait for months to get on the right waiting list.

What do you all carry for this type of stuff? Can anyone reccomend a decent sheath maker? Is there still such a thing as a non-tactical flashlight?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I carry an E1e Surefire but - the newish ''Fenix'' I think it is (search for a thread on that recently) - seems very useful, taking a single AA and being IIRC around $37.

I carry a Leatherman Wave and find that serves very well indeed - the pouch supplied is good and does not seem to show much wear. I'd buy any Leatherman multi - but a lot of folks like Gerber too. I wouldn't say any lights are ''tactical'' per se even tho they are often given that label - most in that league I reckon are the very high output deals using 123 Lithium batteries.

I think a combination sheath/holster might need to be custom made.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I have a Gerber multitool. Not a real expensive one, just a basic one I bought at WalMart one day. For a flashlight I use a Surefire E2E and love it. You would be surprised how much you will use a small flashlight when you have one around. I used mine today while I was re-arranging PCs around my home office and installing a new printer. After about 6 months, the batteries finally started to deplete. There are really a lot of great flashlights out there today, but I sure like the Surefire. Can't say about leather sheaths, but Chris is probably right about custom work....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also carry a Leatherman Wave. I found it less bulky than the Charge, and there really isn't a weight savings from the Titanium panels since they are basically attached to the same frame.

For a lights I have a Nuwai Q3, and a Surefire G2, but recently I've been carrying a River Rock 2AAA led that I picked up at Target for something like $8. It's not nearly as bright as the other 2, but it fits in the pouch on the side of the Leatherman sheath, so it really doesn't add anything to the belt. It's bright enough for daily utility use and has a long battery life, but it isn't something that one would call tactical.

Mike

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just bought a Streamlight Scorpion I've been carrying for about a week. So far, it's great. VERY Bright.

I went into Bass Pro with every intention of buying a Surefire E2e or E2d and , amazingly, the sales guy talked me out of the $100(+/-) Surefire and into the $30 Streamlight. I've always loved the Bass Pro "experience" (read: kid in candy store), but I think their prices are a little high on some items; however on my last few purchases there, I have been happily impressed by the knowledge and service of the sales staff. I wll definately be a repeat customer.

-Paul

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've used a variety of multi tools over the years, but I don't have any particular favorites. The basic Gerbers have always done me right, and I've got them stashed around the house, truck, and boat. Also the basic Leatherman, which is a nice sized package. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these lines of tools, as well as the Swiss Army, Schrade, etc. Don't get a generic one, but anything in the $35-50 dollar range should be pretty decent.

As for lights, I have probably 6 mini mags, one with the LED head. Spread again throughout the house, truck, and boat. For tactical lights, I really love Sure Fire. I've had an original 6Z for almost 10 years, and she just keeps on ticking. The lithium 3A batteries are a little steep, but you can find deals occasionally. Also a small Gerber LED model that takes 1xAA, which is nice when you don't need a blinding light. Lasts for 100 hours on one battery, and has a pocket clip that I reverse and use on the brim of a ball cap for night fishing. Again, go with a reputable company and you should be fine. A lot of other folks on here can give you better advice, as they've invested in a lot of lights!:rolleyes:

For a holder, I'm thinking about a tac light / single mag holder combo. If you test fit a few in the store, you should be able to find one that will fit your multi tool securely. I just need to decide on a dedicated tool before I buy the holder.:redface:

Good luck, let us know what you come up with.:smile:

·
Banned
318 Posts
I'd go and get another sheath for the Swisstool. There are some heavey duty nylon ones out there if you look around.

Now if you want a new one go with SOG and look at what they have to offer. I've got a couple of Powerlock ones I pickedup at Wally World on close out. I really like the safety lock system and blade/tool covers.

For flashlights I like the Nite-Eyz LED Mini-Maglite conversion as well as the Brinkmann tactical type light sold at Wally World. They work what more can I say.:smilez:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
For flashlights I like the Nite-Eyz LED Mini-Maglite conversion
+1 on that Ed - I couldn't get one here so LPGuy here kindly picked me one up and mailed it - I even treated myself to a new Mini Mag as old one pretty tacky - makes a great combination, somewhat under-rated I reckon.

Tho a Surefire it ain't but hey - it's still darned good.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
if you want rid of that Vic, email me, I'd like a 2nd one...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tools & lights

My EDC is a Leatherman Wave (new model) in its nylon sheath. The sheath also holds two panels of extra bits. I also carry a Surefire e2e.

I used to carry a Leatherman PST in its issue leather pouch. Good tool, but I prefer the locking features on the Wave.

I also have a Wave leather sheath. I like to wear it horizontally on my belt over the first belt loop to the right of center (call it 1 o'clock). It makes a great magazine pouch for my Kimber Ultra Carry. I can carry a spare magazine, easily accessable, in plain sight. I've carried both blued and stainless magazines in this pouch without a second glance from anyone.

I'm seriously considering an OWB pouch for a single magazine and the Surefire, worn on my weak side.

YMMV.

Bill

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Not spring loaded Richard - but actually very easy to manipulate.

I keep the far handle between ring finger and middle finger for fine control - and I doubt a spring assist would be any great advantage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just noticed the Fenix LED lights were mentioned.
These are well made with nice throw & spill. The two AA version L2P is regulated. I carry the L1P which has great run-time.
www.mallardspring.com

·
Registered
552 Posts
finaly i can try at least to help a felow contributor i carry a buck multi tool opens like a butter fly knif good for one handed operation also like that buck will fix or replace it for life model#360 as for light i must be a cave man i still got the ol mini maglight but find i have the same proublem i tend to turn it on when storing it in my pouch hope it helps

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I haven't handled a swisstool, but for my Schrade Tough an Uncle Mike's double stack mag pouch was the perfect size replacement when the original wore out. If you want to keep your current tool (not that getting a new toy is a drawback), you might check that section of your local neighborhood happyshack.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Leatherman Wave and a Surefire L2. Just a note about the L2. It's a dual output. So if I don't need/want a really bright light, I use the lower power mode. The batteries last "forever" on low power.

Also, if I leave the SF L2 on for 20-25 minutes continuous, it overheats and begins blinking.

I recently bought a Gladius, a good light, but, I've found with it, by the time I get the "preripheral" bright enough to see by, it's near full brightness and the center of the beam is near night vision impairment. But the bigger thing is the Gladius doesn't have a pocket clip and I find that I tend not to carry it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts