Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a little "light reading" last night and came across a quote from T. Jefferson regarding the "bright side" of the yellow fever epidemic of 1800.

"The pestilence was indeed a scourge, but would ultimately prove a great benefit by discouraging the growth of great cities in our nation.
And I view great cities as a pestilential to the morals, health and the liberties of man."

Jefferson viewed big cities as a danger to our agrarian culture and it brought nothing but filth, crime and bad morals to man.
As he saw what happened in the major cities of Europe. Did not want it here.
Two things came to mind.
1. How true he was as to the effect of big cities
2. How even way back when politicians were looking at how to use an epidemic to their advantage to enact what they thought was best for the nation.
This is why I study history. The words and ideas of hundreds of years ago are still relevant today.

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Was doing a little "light reading" last night and came across a quote from T. Jefferson regarding the "bright side" of the yellow fever epidemic of 1800.

"The pestilence was indeed a scourge, but would ultimately prove a great benefit by discouraging the growth of great cities in our nation.
And I view great cities as a pestilential to the morals, health and the liberties of man."

Jefferson viewed big cities as a danger to our agrarian culture and it brought nothing but filth, crime and bad morals to man.
As he saw what happened in the major cities of Europe. Did not want it here.
Two things came to mind.
1. How true he was as to the effect of big cities
2. How even way back when politicians were looking at how to use an epidemic to their advantage to enact what they thought was best for the nation.
This is why I study history. The words and ideas of hundreds of years ago are still relevant today.

I think, more so. Today's politicians have learned how to milk the system. They're all crooked, and they know it. They have no interest in what's best for us. Their interest is in themselves. Why do you think they are all so rich? Honest earned income? (cough, cough).

·
Super Moderator
23,244 Posts
Much of the dislike between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton revolved around the putrid water wells in NYC caused by over population and coarse living conditions. The putrid water caused all sorts of nasty disease. Burr raised funds in a stock offering to build a system of new wells and water pipelines into NYC but misapplied the funds.

I believe Jefferson correct in an idyllic fashion, but his naïveté would have hampered the US becoming the pre-eminent world power absent the N.Y. banking industry. He probably would not have been able to afford the Louisiana Purchase without the hated money center in NY.

Manhatten Water Company Scam

The excess capital from Burr’s scam created JP Morgan bank, still operating today.

The Federalist bank referred to in the link was founded by Hamilton in 1784, and is is now the Bank of New York, which operates to this day.

So Jefferson was correct in many ways, and yet, perhaps an idyllic agrarian that had a visions that were limited in some ways, yet brilliant in others.

Interesting side note: the wealthy fled NYC in the summers to avoid diseases and the like, and went to their summer camps elsewhere. Now, they still do.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mr. Jefferson was a very smart fellow - I like to think our current Commander in Chief has some of Mr. Jefferson's savvy.
Jefferson seems to have pretty much done and said whatever he pleased. Our current guy does share that tendency and it pleases me considerably.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What I find to be funny in a way is that what one of our founding fathers said well over 200 years ago rings very true today but yet so many libs think that when they drafted the 2A they had no clue that weapons would advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts