Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How practical are muzzle strikes when using a polymer pistol? Most likely the gun will malfunction after pushing the slide out of battery and may very well cause a nasty type 3 malfunction at contact distance. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
On occasion I practice that as part of a malfunction drill. One of the things I practice is 'arm's length' drills. Where the BG is within just a few feet. I also incorporate snap caps in the firearm to simulate a FTF.

The idea is to be able to poke the BG should your firearm malfunction while in close quarters. The 'poke' to the BGs face should be HARD- cause damage & QUICK- to keep BG from grabbing it!....It will then allow you to get a little distance from BG & clear your weapon or go for backup.

It is not my original idea, I actually saw this taught in a class a few years ago & I have since added it to my regular training.

As to the issue of doing it with a poly pistol....I do it with a Glock23 & the only caveat I would add is, I wouldn't do it unless the firearm has already malfunctioned! I have knocked off the original plastic front sight on my wife's 23 while teaching her this......I have now replaced the sight with metal ones.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The pistol punch is taught as part of Center Axis Relock. I have used them in real life and seen others use them. They are very effective. They have not caused the gun to go out of battery. I would hate to be struck with one with the slide locked back.- George

·
Registered
810 Posts
With a Glock, you can hold the slide closed with the base of your thumb. Won't go out of battery and you can also fire with the pistol pressed into the target (but you have to cycle the slide manually).

·
Registered
415 Posts
"How practical are muzzle strikes when using a polymer pistol?"

As practical as muzzle strikes using alloy and steel framed pistols.

"Most likely the gun will malfunction after pushing the slide out of battery and may very well cause a nasty type 3 malfunction at contact distance."

Maybe a malfunction will occur; maybe not. Maybe any malfunction will be a type 3; maybe not. Regardless of frame composition, be prepared to clear any malfunction which presents itself. I've received training incorporating muzzle strikes: One advocated always performing a clearance drill following a muzzle strike; the other only as necessary. Over the course of perhaps hundreds of muzzle strikes delivered in training utilizing either inert or live cartridges prior to live fire, I've experienced a relative low rate of malfunction, usually cleared via a standard tap rack drill. Only one type 3 encountered, iirc.

YMMV

Best,
Erik

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a Glock, you can hold the slide closed with the base of your thumb. Won't go out of battery and you can also fire with the pistol pressed into the target (but you have to cycle the slide manually).
I would think holding the base of your thumb against the back of the slide would compromise and weaken your grip on the gun. Not something you want to do that close to the threat.

"How practical are muzzle strikes when using a polymer pistol?"

As practical as muzzle strikes using alloy and steel framed pistols.
Muzzle strikes with a 1911 pattern pistol with an engaged thumb safety would be an excellent choice as the gun will not be pushed out of battery. A polymer pistol has no such option so would be more likely to malfunction or be damaged.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Muzzle strikes with a 1911 pattern pistol with an engaged thumb safety would be an excellent choice as the gun will not be pushed out of battery. A polymer pistol has no such option so would be more likely to malfunction or be damaged.
I consider one of the benefits to carrying a 1911 is that you can beat somebody with it if you run out of ammo. :smile:

·
Banned
60 Posts
I was taught to do muzzle strikes to the forehead during a CQB class at Blackwater a few years ago.

I think (honestly) that they are a stupid manuever that should only be used in a last resort type thing where you've run out of ammo and now, anything goes. Your gun has now become a brick. Muzzle strikes can cause a malfunction, it can take your weapon out of battery, your gun's muzzle could re-deflect back and be pointed towards you......any number of things.

I'd much rather kick you in the groin or do an eye jammie than try to make my pistola into a battering ram on your forehead.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Unless the circumstances permit the disconnect should activate even if the trigger is pulled. In this case the striker remains ready the trigger would have to reset and then be pulled again.

As far as pistol poking (heh) yeah a polymer pistol would do a good job. Did you think it would break or something? Heck a whiffle ball bat across the face wouldn't feel good either.

I guess the main advantage of having an all steel pistol is that you can beat the BG senseless and there is a good chance of the pistol coming out unscathed.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
How practical are muzzle strikes when using a polymer pistol? Most likely the gun will malfunction after pushing the slide out of battery and may very well cause a nasty type 3 malfunction at contact distance. Opinions?
Punching someone in the face with a Glock will give them a free ticket to the "special people" bus enroute to the dentist.

As to hurting the pistol, please.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Punching someone in the face with a Glock will give them a free ticket to the "special people" bus enroute to the dentist.

As to hurting the pistol, please.
Amen to that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey just because a Glock is made of insanely tough polymer and steel covered in an absolutely top-notch finish doesn't mean that some chump's tooth won't scratch the finish or something. You can't seriously condone any action that might mar the otherwise perfect finish on a handgun can you? :gah:

Let's keep things in perspective here, people!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts