Defensive Carry banner

My $.02 on Glock 43X with Shield Arms 15 rd mags

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Cornhusker95 
#1 · (Edited)
Been a while since I've posted. But had something worthy a share. I think the 43X a serious contender for best CCW gun of all time.

Most of the time I state Glocks are the 2nd best pistols. I state this most often with my favorite pistol, the Glock 10mm 20 SF. It is what I like in 10mm, there may very well be something better in 10mm. I don't know what the best would be. The fact that everyone tends to compare their pistol to a Glock means something. For the first time ever, I've started to use the wording best when I talk about a Glock.

For years (even a decade) I've been carrying a 5 round S&W .38spl +P. As an EDC, when not in the woods, it is simply a no good reason not to carry firearm. The only thing I found comparable was the Ruger LCP .380 ACP. The LCP is a slightly easier carry. .38spl +P vs .380 LVP are similar calibers when it comes to a needed SD ballistics. I preferred the revolver as there are some ever so rare reliability issues with automatics vs revolvers. Again very (very, very) rare, but revolvers in my experience have the slightest edge. It was worth giving up a round.

I considered them lazy carry options and are better than no carry. But those of us who carry the above-mentioned types of firearms know we are sacrificing convenience for something that spikes our "spiderysense." They just might not be enough gun.

When Glock came out with the 43 and 43x, it caught my eye. The 43x was tempting. Easier shooting. Not as lazy of a carry, but close. Still comfortable to say no good reason not to carry. Significant improvement 9mm +p would offer as a caliber vs the above mentioned (of course 10 rounds vs 5 or 6). I let it remain a temptation. Unlike many of you I like to limit the number of pistols I own. I respect those of you that just can't get enough, but for me, I'm always mindful when a collection I own get to a tipping point of owning me.

Then I started hearing about the reliability people were having with the Shield Arms 15 rd mags. Well, 15 rounds of 9MM +P fits as the definition of likely enough gun in my humble opinion.

I have the 2nd gen mag versions. Loading the 13-14 rounds about as hard as loading the last rounds of any magazine. The 15th round, my fingers and thumbs are happy I was gifted an Uplula magazine loader.

On installing the metal catch release. Easy install, but it was FRUSTRATING getting the Glock one out. I've removed Glock mag springs before, the 43X required a miracle. I need to buy a tool for next time, a screwdriver was not the right tool for the job.

Very easy to carry and even conceals in a pocket carry holster. Maybe easier to carry then a revolver in some ways. The bulge of the cylinder of a revolver is always reminder where the flat 43x is more comfortable. Admittedly a little more weight than the revolver. But a better caliber and 3X the rounds in an easier to shoot platform. I love it.

I have also found it reliable. Range results so far with no failures.

50 rds Rem UMC FMJ 115 GR 9mm
100 rds Win FMJ 115 GR 9mm
10 rds Blazer Brass FMJ 115 GR 9mm
15 rds Win FMJ 124 GR 9mm Nato
5 rds Win Ranger HP 127 GR 9mm +P+
5 rds Fed HST HP 124 GR 9mm

Just really enjoy having this as an option and wanted to share. Happy new year all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Love the 43x and 48.. I had some Gen 1 shield arms 15 round mags. They were awesome, until they weren’t. Mine started malfunctioning after 6ish months of being stored loaded. I threw them away, went back to the 10 round OEM mags and haven’t looked back. I personally would so much rather have 10 for sure instead of 15 maybe. Hopefully the gen 2’s work out. I also find it a tad funny the gen 1’s were so great they had to come out with the gen 2….

Todd

#4 ·
Been a while since I've posted. But had something worthy a share. I think the 43X a serious contender for best CCW gun of all time.

Most of the time I state Glocks are the 2nd best pistols. I state this most often with my favorite pistol, the Glock 10mm 20 SF. It is what I like in 10mm, there may very well be something better in 10mm. I don't know what the best would be. The fact that everyone tends to compare their pistol to a Glock means something. For the first time ever, I've started to use the wording best when I talk about a Glock.

For years (even a decade) I've been carrying a 5 round S&W .38spl +P. As an EDC, when not in the woods, it is simply a no good reason not to carry firearm. The only thing I found comparable was the Ruger LCP .380 ACP. The LCP is a slightly easier carry. .38spl +P vs .380 LVP are similar calibers when it comes to a needed SD ballistics. I preferred the revolver as there are some ever so rare reliability issues with automatics vs revolvers. Again very (very, very) rare, but revolvers in my experience have the slightest edge. It was worth giving up a round.

I considered them lazy carry options and are better than no carry. But those of us who carry the above-mentioned types of firearms know we are sacrificing convenience for something that spikes our "spiderysense." They just might not be enough gun.

When Glock came out with the 43 and 43x, it caught my eye. The 43x was tempting. Easier shooting. Not as lazy of a carry, but close. Still comfortable to say no good reason not to carry. Significant improvement 9mm +p would offer as a caliber vs the above mentioned (of course 10 rounds vs 5 or 6). I let it remain a temptation. Unlike many of you I like to limit the number of pistols I own. I respect those of you that just can't get enough, but for me, I'm always mindful when a collection I own get to a tipping point of owning me.

Then I started hearing about the reliability people were having with the Shield Arms 15 rd mags. Well, 15 rounds of 9MM +P fits as the definition of likely enough gun in my humble opinion.

I have the 2nd gen mag versions. Loading the 13-14 rounds about as hard as loading the last rounds of any magazine. The 15th round, my fingers and thumbs are happy I was gifted an Uplula magazine loader.

On installing the metal catch release. Easy install, but it was FRUSTRATING getting the Glock one out. I've removed Glock mag springs before, the 43X required a miracle. I need to buy a tool for next time, a screwdriver was not the right tool for the job.

Very easy to carry and even conceals in a pocket carry holster. Maybe easier to carry then a revolver in some ways. The bulge of the cylinder of a revolver is always reminder where the flat 43x is more comfortable. Admittedly a little more weight than the revolver. But a better caliber and 3X the rounds in an easier to shoot platform. I love it.

Just really enjoy having this as an option and wanted to share. Happy new year all.
Good write up. Thank you for sharing.

Im surprised the 43x is as good for pocket carry as a j frame, having owned the 43 and finding it lacking for this role.
What is the difference in your draw times between the revolver and the 43x?

#5 · (Edited)
...Im surprised the 43x is as good for pocket carry as a j frame, having owned the 43 and finding it lacking for this role.
Has been on my mind. I find the revolver faster but it tends to carry the sleeve / holster with it out of the pocket. The 43x is less bulgy, takes up a little more room, is harder to grip, but the holster stays in the pocket.

I've watched a few videos of SD situations where the citizen has a firearm pointed at them. The one that always comes to mind was an active shooter in a church. Even if not making eye contact, the BG observes the motion of a citizen drawing a pocket carry. Both the BG and the CPL / CCW holder died. The CPL holder likely saved lives by giving his own.

Pocket carry is more about having something after having cover unless your hand is already in your pocket. At least for my level of skill.

I was tagging a deer once and was able to draw from an outside the belt / pants holster to get another tag filled when a buck was inquiring what happened to the doe. I have a good enough reaction time, but I don't think I would chance drawing out a pocket unless I had cover or the shooter was already sharing lead.

When I wear cargo shorts, I'm sure the 43X will be fine. With dress pants I don't think the 43x will be an option. With Jeans, it would just depend on where my hand is.

I've purchased both a pocket holster and an outside the waste holster. I need to be a little less round to tuck inside the belt. The 43x slimmer profile will be nice with jeans, belt holster, and an untucked long sleave shit. It is going to be a toss-up between the revolver and 43x when wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

#6 ·
Glad to hear the Gen 2 magazines are working. My son has a 43x and the only time it has malfunctioned has been with the Shield magazines. I'm assuming here that his are the Gen 1 versions as he has had them quite some time. He now uses them for range use only and carries concealed with the Glock magazines.

#7 ·
But a better caliber and 3X the rounds in an easier to shoot platform
Can you tell me what the difference is between how the 43x shoots as compared to the 43.

I tried the 43 and hated it, especially when compared to others of similar size, and also other Glocks.

Reactions: Bad Bob and G-man*
#15 ·
Can you tell me what the difference is between how the 43x shoots as compared to the 43. I tried the 43 and hated it, especially when compared to others of similar size, and also other Glocks.
Short story, I enjoy shooting Glocks so much that I really hate it when I can't get the right grip (pinky?). The 43 is to small and the other extreem like the G20 is to larger (but the G20SF is fine), for me, with Glocks. .

I did not dislike the 43 but agree it shoots differently than other Glocks. Others are likely more knowledgeable, but the angle of the handle is different. I could not get the grip I wanted when shooting something like a 9mm. I own a Glock 33 in .357 Sig, and the round is snappier than even a 9mm +p. I still prefer the G33 over the G43. There is sonething about the angle a smaller frame of the G43 and my grip that did not feel right. Frankly, I rarely carry my G33, and I can't remember the last time I shot the G33 without the +1 Pearce frip mag extension.

You should try the 43X, is it has more handle room to grip, and that might make a difference.

The 1 thing I don't like about them is no rail for accessories. My 2 cents....
There is a the 43x mos.

#8 ·

Good write up. Thank you for sharing.

Im surprised the 43x is as good for pocket carry as a j frame, having owned the 43 and finding it lacking for this role.
Has been on my mind. I find the revolver faster but it tends to carry the sleeve / holster with it out of the pocket. The 43x is less bulgy, takes up a little more room, is harder to grip, but the holster stays in the pocket.

I've watched a few videos of SD situations where the citizen has a firearm pointed at them. The one that always comes to mind was an active shooter in a church. Even if not making eye contact, the BG observes the motion of a citizen drawing a pocket carry. Both the BG and the CPL / CCW holder died. The CPL holder likely saved lives by giving his own.

Pocket carry is more about having something after having cover unless your hand is already in your pocket. At least for my level of skill.

I was tagging a deer once and was able to draw from an outside the belt / pants holster to get another tag filled when a buck was inquiring what happened to the doe. I have a good enough reaction time, but I don't think I would chance drawing out a pocket unless I had cover or the shooter was already sharing lead.

When I wear cargo shorts, I'm sure the 43X will be fine. With dress pants I don't think the 43x will be an option. With Jeans, it would just depend on where my hand is.

I've purchased both a pocket holster and an outside the waste holster. I need to be a little less round to tuck inside the belt. The 43x slimmer profile will be nice with jeans, belt holster, and an untucked long sleave shit. It is going to be a toss-up between the revolver and 43x when wearing a t-shirt and jeans.
It’s a quality gun, but I’m highly doubtful it’s a useable pocket gun with all clothes. The regular 43 is big enough it’s marginal for that and won’t work with well fitting clothes and pockets. I too carry a pocket .380 or jframe. Even a jframe is marginal in tighter clothes. My Smith Shield only works in the largest of pockets, such as cargo pants as you mentioned.

If pocket carry is your thing, as it is mine, you may find 43x is too big over time.

#10 · (Edited)
The pocketability issue is new and interesting. It's also likely very clothing specific. I own a pair of shortstop would allow me to pocket a 5" barrel 1911, so I see how it could be viable with the right pair of pants. But this is a situation where you'd have to dress around the gun.

As far as the 43X itself, for whatever use you'd have for it, there seems to be a better alternative. If that size gun fits the bill, I'd rather have the Springfield Hellcat Pro. Its as close to exactly the same size gun as two guns that weren't intentional clones of each other are going to be. It comes with factory 15 round mags (and they have a promotion where a buyer can get 5 of them included.) It has better iron sights, and is natively optics ready. And, it's cheaper than the 43X MOS, and much cheaper if you factor in the cost of a few S15 mags and the metal mag catch.

Another alternative if you want a compact 10 round mag 9mm is, of course, the P365. That gun has been done to death, so I don't need to compare features.

Sorry, I just don't see where the 43X had any advantage that makes it worth buying.

#11 ·
The pocketability iss is new and interesting. It's also likely very clothing specific. I own a pair of shortstop would allow me to pocket a 5" barrel 1911, so I see how it could be viable with the right pair of pants. But this is a situation where you'd have to dress around the gun.

As far as the 43X itself, for whatever use you'd have for it, there seems to be a better alternative. If that size gun fits the bill, I'd rather have the Springfield Hellcat Pro. Its as close to exactly the same size gun as two guns that weren't intentional clones of each other are going to be. It comes with factory 15 round mags (and they have a promotion where a buyer can get 5 of them included.) It has better iron sights, and is natively optics ready. And, it's cheaper than the 43X MOS, and much cheaper if you factor in the cost of a few S15 mags and the metal mag catch.

Another alternative if you want a compact 10 round mag 9mm is, of course, the P365. That gun has been done to death, so I don't need to compare features.

Sorry, I just don't see where the 43X had any advantage that makes it worth buying.
Speaking only for myself, but I’d rather have a Glock than a Springfield or 365, regardless of round count.
There may be others that think the same way.

#16 ·
I owned a 43 .. absolutely a great pistol.. I traded it for a S&W Model 12 snubbie.. yep
I ran one mag through my buddies 43x .. great pistol
Thin & light .. very shootable

PSA are producing 15 rd magazines for their new
Dagger Micros .. which are a 43X clone
So thats a hi-cap mag for the 43X
Personally Im purchasing a Dagger Micro probably next year .. if they are any bugs to work out
Tbe are going to be Optic ready also
Slide will work on a 43X frame

#18 · (Edited)
2nd time at the range with the 43x. Accuracy was good. Everything was shot at 10 ft. I'm happy the XTREME PENETRATOR did not fail to feed. Come concern 5 Armscor 9mm Ammo 115 Gr FMJ failure to fire (no feeding issues) all the FTF had primer strikes.

5 Underwood Ammo 9MM +P 115GR. XTREME PENETRATOR mixed with 10 Blazer Brass FMJ 115 GR 9mm. Shot in following order to test reliability of feed of Penetrator pounds. FMJ, P, P, P, FMJ. FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, FMJ, P, P. No issues.

45 Armscor 9mm Ammo 115 Gr FMJ. 2 rounds FTF with primer strike with first mag. 2 rounds FTF with primer strike with 2nd mag. 1 round FTF with primer strike with 1st mag.

Had no additional issues today and shot the following in addition to above:

30 Federal AE 9mm 115 Gr FMJ.
30 S&B 9mm 115 Gr FMJ
30 Magtech 9mm 115 Gr FMJ
30 Sumbro ATS X-Force 9mm 124 Gr FMJ
30 Republic 9mm 115 Gr FMJ
30 PMC 9mm 115 Gr FMJ
30 Remington 9mm 115 Gr FMJ

Shot many brands today. Only issue was with Armscor. Could be me, could be firearm, could be ammo. I'm guessing the primers had issues and it is the ammo. I am not likely to purchase this brand in the future. Gun is dirty. 270 rounds (well actually 265) fired today. 185 rounds on 01/22/23. Total 450 rounds fired. Need to clean it.

As would be expected, no issues to feed with FMJ. No issues yet with feeding. Including a decent number of HP / SD rounds. 5 failures to fire FTF with primer strikes. Next time around some SD ammo tests.

#21 ·
Went to the range today,

30 rds Rem UMC FMJ 115 GR 9mm
30 rds Fiocchi 9mm 115 Grain FMJ

Both fed without issue out of the shield arms mags. Pushed out the target to 40 feet for 15 rounds. Was just as accurate at 10ft.

At around 12 feet. Shot 15 rounds as a mag dump (double tapin pairs then quick quick follow). Every round hit the target about four inches apart.

Fiocchi rounds felt good, I think cycled the slide better, but not sure if that was reality or perception. Would have to shoot more than 30 to know.

I really like the 43x. Was shooting a G31 today using a 40s&w barrel (making it a g22). I was more accurate, but not by much. The 43x is a surprisingly comfortable firearm to shoot. I know I’m more accurate with it than my G33.

#23 ·

I never tend to compare my any of my pistols to Glock.
The day that happens i will buy one.
Whatever you choose the goal is to have the most perfect carry pistol for yourself.
To me that is all that matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.