Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a few bolt action and semi-auto 7.62/.308 long range rifles in my lifetime but never a M1A. This is my first. It's a Federal Ordnance model M14SA and I just just took possession of her this past Saturday. Data seems to indicate that it was manufactured in 1989. The smooth, pristine birch stock has an unaltered selector switch cut-out and comes with NM hooded rear and front sights. She's a sweet stick, Fo-Sho.

I wanted to match her up with long range precision glass and was fortunate to come across a great deal on a scope. I bought it last week and it was just delivered today. Its a Leupold Mark 4 M1. This scope is the cat's meow. The clarity on the glass is unbelievably clear and the fixed magnification (16X) is amazing. I can actually identify surface flaws on [wooden] telephone posts that are about 600 yards away. The scope is in pristine condition (no ring marks) and according to the owner it was purchased new about 14 years ago, and then stored in a vault. The sun shade and flip caps were included with the deal.

Scope rings and a few other accessories have been purchased and are on their way, but I still haven't made up my mind on the mount. I'm leaning towards the Arms 18 mount, but the Sadlak Airborne mount is still in the running.

Quality range time is in the works..!

Here's a few photos..:

·
Registered
85 Posts
congrats on the new rifle!

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle, I have an M1-A also but I plan on leaving it nude.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
448 Posts
I worked with M1's for over 15 years and can't seem to get up the idea to buy one. Maybe I just had enough of them... If I found a deal like the OP, I would probably jump on it too.

Good luck on the purchase and provide that range report with photos...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

OD, I haven't taken her apart yet but I anticipate that it will be manufactured with Chinese parts. No problem with me if thats the case.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
SWEET!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks, guys.

OD, I haven't taken her apart yet but I anticipate that it will be manufactured with Chinese parts. No problem with me if thats the case.
Good choices on the scope mount. Either the Sadlak or the ARMS will do well....unlike the majority of el-cheapo M-14 scope mounts out there. I have three of 'em, two of them are scoped....and learning how to effectively mount a scope to them was a trying process for me.

Also, good attitude on the Chinese manufactured parts...fit and finish, assembly, and small part quality leaves much to be desired on many of the M14/M1A/M305 type rifles that have been manufactured in PRC....but they are still built with forged receivers and they seem to have a good grasp on how to make the major components fairly well.

Too bad the same can't be said for their sights, the way they index their barrels, the tightness of their gas systems, or the god-awful stocks.

·
Super Moderator
22,600 Posts
Thanks, guys.

OD, I haven't taken her apart yet but I anticipate that it will be manufactured with Chinese parts. No problem with me if that's the case.
That's half the fun, researching 'em. :hand10:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What a beautiful rifle ! Congrats !

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good choices on the scope mount. Either the Sadlak or the ARMS will do well....unlike the majority of el-cheapo M-14 scope mounts out there. I have three of 'em, two of them are scoped....and learning how to effectively mount a scope to them was a trying process for me.
Well I bought the Arms #18 and it should be delivered next week.

Being that the Arms mount is one of the lowest mounts made, plus the fact that I'll be using Med height rings, I'm really hoping that the scope does not contact the rear hooded sight.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Nice rifle! I scoped mine then unscoped it and it is now just iron sites. I did not like the rise on the scope. I see you have a very high check piece without the scope. It may need to be extended even more with a scope set up. It will affect your accuracy. Not in a good way. The other scope problem is with the spent cases exiting. They hit the scope or scope mount. At times they can become hung up ( not stuck ). Not looking to start a WWIII debate but just wanted to share my experience.
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Machine gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

I tried the Aimpoint after the scope and the brass still got hung up, just not as much. You can see how I most enjoy my rifle in the other photo. Mine is also a preban with GI parts. The barrel with is getting replace with a brand new Stainless Krieger very soon

Reactions: los

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sling and bipod arrived yesterday. Rings are in possession, just need the Arms mount and the bipod adapter to be delivered. If the parts gets here by Friday I just might make it out to the range this week-end.

Here's what she looks like, so far. BTW, can anyone catch the rookie mistake found on both photos..???

·
Super Moderator
19,267 Posts
The M1907 sling is not correctly "slung." The upper keeper is on the wrong side of the frog. None of these photos are really good for detail illustrations.

Here's a link:
Shooters' Carnival

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.