Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my .22 LR Revolver the 8 3/8 " S&W 617-4! It is the sweetest shooting most accurate .22LR revolver I have ever owned. Now I was not looking for an 8 3/8 barrel and to be honest. I would have loved it if I had found it in a 6" however I found her at an estate auction in a small town in north Arkansas. She had hardly been fired at all and been with me ever since. I have cleared steel plate racks that I would not have considered possible using a .22 LR and a very deadly large Mojave Rattle snake on my back porch met its fate with one shot from her plus some of its cousins. I'm not sure exactly what she weighs but the 6" weighs 44.1 oz so with another 2 3/8 of barrel it is over that. She is a two handed handful; steady as a rock. I found a jewel of great price and she will be with me to my dying day.The last one I saw go on an internet auction went for over $700 but she is not for sale! :smile:

100_0390.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,222 Posts
I just got a 6-inch 617 on GunBroker recently, and it's a hoot! I need to smooth up the trigger a little but then I'm looking forward to using it my club's monthly .22 pistol steel match, alternating with my .22 autos. I bet that longer barrel of yours would be the perfect ticket for that game!

Fellow mod bmcgilvray has posted pics of his classic Model 17 with the 8-3/8" barrel. It would be fun to shoot those two side by side!

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found mine at an estate action and knew what it was and paid $225 dollars with a song in my heart GLADLY for it! :danceban:

It pays to go early to such things and check out what is going to be up for sale. I have found some unbelievable deals in some small town estate auctions because the people there did not want to pay anything for what they did not understand were deals of a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I went shopping for a double action can killer. I was looking for a S&W with a four inch barrel, or maybe a six inch. None in stock. Left with a new GP100 22lr. It has a good trigger and kills cans. Still want a 617.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
Love a nice, long-barreled .22 plinker!

I picked up this ol' DW a few months ago at a gun show, for a VERY good price!

DW .22 Left #2_R.jpg

I would love to come across an 8" barrel for her! :yup:

·
Registered
8,750 Posts
I just got a 6-inch 617 on GunBroker recently, and it's a hoot! I need to smooth up the trigger a little but then I'm looking forward to using it my club's monthly .22 pistol steel match, alternating with my .22 autos. I bet that longer barrel of yours would be the perfect ticket for that game!

Fellow mod bmcgilvray has posted pics of his classic Model 17 with the 8-3/8" barrel. It would be fun to shoot those two side by side!
Yes, it would.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Ahh... the long-snouted ones.

Like a little hand rifle, they are. Bit ungainly in some ways, but I've always liked to work around that in order to enjoy the accuracy afforded by the sight radius and the dab of extra "punch" the .22 Long Rifle gens up for handgun hunting over shorter barreled revolvers.

I've only ever held and pointed a full-lug 8 3/8-inch and didn't care as much for its balance when compared with what I am used to. Hah! One thing's for sure. That full-lugged barrel has inertia enough to steady the revolver in anything short of a hurricane.

Good lookin' revolver Two Bears and well worthy of being chosen to stay with you to your dying day. There are endless hours of fun and entertainment, practicing accuracy skills too, contained within that revolver and it can all be had for far less cash outlay than feeding a center fire handgun. Look maw ... no reloading too! Just shooting enjoyment to the highest degree.

Gotta get out your way Gary and bring the Model 17 and the Winchester Model '90. Wonder if you could assist me in sneakin' away from my wife's sister and brother-in-law for a day?

I've had my Model 17-4 for 40 years this month. Bought it new at Wackers (anybody still remember that small department store chain?) in Cleburne, Texas for $259 which was probably full retail price at the time. Without a doubt it's been shot more than any other firearm I own.

Here's the same ol' photo I stick up when illustrating it. Looked at the data to find the photo was taken June 9, 2008. Ought to take a better one. The revolver could have a little more holster wear around the muzzle now, but don't believe the ejector rod housing can be worn any more bright.

There's no way to document this as being true so it's gotta be conjecture, but it may be one gun I have that has passed the 100,000 round milestone. 40 years at an average of five cartons per year? Some years it's shot more than five cartons. Some years fewer too, especially in more recent times, but it still receives regular exercise.

Don't know how old this scanned snapshot is. Looks like the Model 17 still has some blue finish on its ejector rod housing here. It is one de luxe rabbit, squirrel, and critter gitter.

·
Super Moderator
19,222 Posts
Bryan, if I could commandeer the company Falcon Jet for a day or two I would... that would be the cat's pajamas. Spend a whole day in the Superstitions with just rimfires, then another day shooting guns at least as old as we are! We'd run out of daylight before we were done, and there wouldn't be enough Advil to ease the residual pain from the day-long grins.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Heh! These days it requires a lot of Advil after a day of fun and frolic.

But it sure is worth it!

Reactions: Two Bears

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
" ... a very deadly large Mojave Rattle snake on my back porch met its fate with one shot ..."

Tow Bears;

Did it look like this one?

I was impressed. I'd never seen a rattlesnake with this coloration. I'd have still taken the opportunity to drop an expedient rock on this one's head except we were in Joshua Tree National Park and there were too many other people around.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
" ... a very deadly large Mojave Rattle snake on my back porch met its fate with one shot ..."

Tow Bears;

Did it look like this one?

I was impressed. I'd never seen a rattlesnake with this coloration. I'd have still taken the opportunity to drop an expedient rock on this one's head except we were in Joshua Tree National Park and there were too many other people around.
The one I had outside my back door had more of a greenish tint to it like the pic below.

mojave-rattlesnake-kelso-dunes-bob-christopher (1).jpg

Crotalus scutulatus is a highly venomous pit viper species found in the deserts of the southwestern United States and central Mexico. It is perhaps best known for its potent neurotoxic-hemotoxic venom, which is considered one of the world's most potent rattlesnake venom.

The Reality of the dreaded Mojave Rattlesnake - https://rattlesnakesolutions.com/snakeblog/science-and-education/reality-dreaded-mojave-rattlesnake/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts