Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a huge deal, I've just never seen it before. I took out my ammo to cycle a new carry round and noticed that on some rounds the copper is oxidizing. It's kinda cool. 1 or 2 are turning green!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's called Patina. Brass beds do it all the time. I suspect your ammo storage facility has less than perfect moisture conditions. As long as it hasnt changed the size of the casing it should be fine. Since brass oxidizes more in oxygen, maybe sealed ammo boxes would slow it down.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it seems to be my climate. It has been a little rainy and humid here the last couple of days (several actually). I don't have my CO permit yet, so it often gets locked in the car (physically locked away inside a locked car)

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
The ones in my carry mags tend to do this over a long period of time. Copper to brown. No big deal really.

·
Super Moderator
50,582 Posts
Consider the oxidation as showing some class...as if you care to 'send' the very best...:image035:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Try giving your rounds a rub with a silicon cloth that still has a little life left in it before you load up your mags or cylinder. Helps keep the oxidation down in moist climates.

I do this after I clean my handguns and magazines. Just drop all the rounds into the cloth(form a pouch) and roll them around for a few seconds then load up.

bosco

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Can also happen if you leave some solvent in the magazine or action. Might turn them a color from green to black depending on the chemical.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I live in W. Washington ... the copper jacketed rounds I carry in my speed loaders go from copper to brown every couple of months. No problem. They still go BANG at the range.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
The salt left from your finger prints when you loaded the rounds will contribute to it as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Try keeping a few dessicant silica gel packs in wherever your ammo is stored.
That will keep the moisture next to 0.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts