Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I got my SKS (Norinco, Chinese) back in 2013 and installed a Tapco Intrafuse stock on it shortly after. Well, that was during the post-Sandy Hook panic and the only color I could find it in was FDE, which has never been my favorite. So today, I decided to do a camo job on it, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Tomorrow's project is to re-blue the barrel, gas tube, and whatever else needs it.

The original Tapco stock:

After today:

I'm hoping to get some decent outdoor shots tomorrow if the sun will cooperate.

EDIT: Well, the sun did just that! Here are some outdoor shots from today:

·
Registered
785 Posts
That is an outstanding camo job. I am curious, does it actually use a buffer, or is that buffer tube just to hold the butt stock?

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an outstanding camo job. I am curious, does it actually use a buffer, or is that buffer tube just to hold the butt stock?
It should be just to hold the stock, since the original doesn't have one.

·
Registered
Rifles and Handguns - Various Types
30 Posts
Okay, so I got my SKS (Norinco, Chinese) back in 2013 and installed a Tapco Intrafuse stock on it shortly after. Well, that was during the post-Sandy Hook panic and the only color I could find it in was FDE, which has never been my favorite. So today, I decided to do a camo job on it, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Tomorrow's project is to re-blue the barrel, gas tube, and whatever else needs it.

The original Tapco stock:

After today:

I'm hoping to get some decent outdoor shots tomorrow if the sun will cooperate.
Man oh man! You did a solid job on that gun. Very good look. Bet you had a blast doing it. Always love it when someone uses all of their skills to do a thing right.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
YOU do nice work!

Reactions: SpringerXD

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Outstanding paint job!

Reactions: SpringerXD

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great looking paint job. Looks like you bought the furniture that way. I'd be interested in hearing how you did that?
How about a little tutorial on how you did the camo job?
Would be interesting. I like the job you did.
Here are the "tools" used:

The clump of vegetation is wild onions I grabbed from the yard and rubber-banded together. First I painted the stock solid with the matte green. I let that dry for about an hour, then held up the onion against it and hit it with the desert color. Once that dried for about 30 minutes, I did the same with the black.

EDIT: I forgot this part. I taped off everything but the stock. Honestly, I considered doing the entire thing but decided to keep it only on the plastic. I was concerned that I might someday want to set it back to stock condition or try different furniture.

This paint is supposed to be dry in about an hour, but I waited closer to three to be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Here are the "tools" used:

The clump of vegetation is wild onions I grabbed from the yard and rubber-banded together. First I painted the stock solid with the matte green. I let that dry for about an hour, then held up the onion against it and hit it with the desert color. Once that dried for about 30 minutes, I did the same with the black.

EDIT: I forgot this part. I taped off everything but the stock. Honestly, I considered doing the entire thing but decided to keep it only on the plastic. I was concerned that I might someday want to set it back to stock condition or try different furniture.

This paint is supposed to be dry in about an hour, but I waited closer to three to be safe.
Very cool. I was wondering how you got the pattern. Vegetation.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool. I was wondering how you got the pattern. Vegetation.
Yeah. I've seen examples where people used leaves, mesh screens, pine straw, etc... Pine straw, in fact, can make some incredible patterns. I can't find it right now, but I saw a motorcycle gas tank done with pine straw and it looked amazing.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Yeah. I've seen examples where people used leaves, mesh screens, pine straw, etc... Pine straw, in fact, can make some incredible patterns. I can't find it right now, but I saw a motorcycle gas tank done with pine straw and it looked amazing.
Thanks for the idea. With regards to the pine straw, would you clump it together like you did? The wife and I will be refreshing our mulch beds in a few weeks with new pine straw, so it might be a good time to try something like this.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the idea. With regards to the pine straw, would you clump it together like you did? The wife and I will be refreshing our mulch beds in a few weeks with new pine straw, so it might be a good time to try something like this.
If I were to try the pine straw again, then yeah, I probably would tie it up. I think that's what went wrong when I tried pine straw before; I would lay the straw on top, spray it, then remove it once the paint dried. That one didn't turn out so well and I wound up just "winging" it. I think if I had tied it up and did what I did this time, it would have been much better.

But I can offer a tip: Try one spot and see if you like the result. If so, then you can proceed to do it elsewhere. I think the fact that I held the onion clump instead of laying it on the stock made a difference this time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts