Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some folks on here know, I've been thinking of getting a .38/.357 to carry as a BUG on duty.
Well, I got a gift certificate and some cash from relatives for Christmas, so Santa(looked a lot like me) got me a S&W 642.
Haven't shot it yet, that will have to wait til next week, but I like the weight and can grip it ok. Now I get to shop for a holster to carry it off-duty if need be. One thing that could be good or bad......my wife likes it and now she wants one to go with her G26.:smile:

Incidentally, when I got home with it I went to compare the weight to my Keltec P11 (mfg says its half the weight of the Keltec).
I had a problem with the Keltec which I'll put in another post since I have to find the pics I took at the time. Anyway, my Keltec is broken right now so I'm glad I got the 642, and it is lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Congrats! I think you'll like that pistol a lot! Please post a range report.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Congrats on the new addition, it's a nice wheel gun for sure. Love mine for winter Jacket carry.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the new 642... I always carried one for a BUG, I think you'll really like it... buy your wife one with the CT lasergrips...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Good set up. There are lots of holster available. Are you getting OWB or IWB or both.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good set up. There are lots of holster available. Are you getting OWB or IWB or both.
I got it for duty BUG so it will mainly be carried in a holster designed to wear on my body armor straps
but I've tried it out carrying it in my coat pocket and I'll probably get some sort of other holster to be determined later

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Congrats on the new snubbie, wise purchase.:yup::hand10:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Try a Desantis Nemesis. Reasonably priced and works great. I like it better than a Galco leather one I have.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try a Desantis Nemesis. Reasonably priced and works great. I like it better than a Galco leather one I have.
yep, gonna get one of those for sure, I have one for the G26/Keltec P11 and its great

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Congrats on the new gat. :hand10:

As far as pocket holsters go, I like the Mika. Another thing to consider is the Barami Hip Grip. Those and a set of Tyler T-Grips were the rage back in the day. It allowed you to slip the gun in your waistband and not have to use a holster, which is great for taking out the trash.

To add to the conundrum, since you carry a gun on duty, you may want to consider carrying your off duty gun in the same location given that you are accustomed to reaching to that specific location for a gun. From personal expirience I can tell you there is no worse feeling than reaching for a gun and not having that gun be there.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Gotta love Santa! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ditto on the range report. I'm on the lookout for a lighter snubby for the wife.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To add to the conundrum, since you carry a gun on duty, you may want to consider carrying your off duty gun in the same location given that you are accustomed to reaching to that specific location for a gun. From personal expirience I can tell you there is no worse feeling than reaching for a gun and not having that gun be there.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker
totally agree...thats why I carry my G30 at 3:00 just like my duty weapon, also thats where I carried it for 4 years before LEO,
if I carry the 642 off-duty it will most likely be in a coat pocket

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Nice present, the ones you get for yourself are always the best.
Thats the way I roll, get to go pick out my own presents. Great choice, that one is on my wish list.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
You can't miss (pun intended) with a 642--congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
my wife likes it and now she wants one to go with her G26.:smile:
BUY! BUY! BUY!

Oh sorry :embarassed: got carried away... I'm just not used to a WIFE (mine) being interested in a gun.

I hope you make plans to buy her one before she changes her mind! Or if for some reason you change your mind and decide to get something else, sounds like this one already has a new home.

Good choice IMO. I bought one for myself a year or two ago. It now lives at home in a place where the daughter can grab it (and others) if needed. Maybe someday it will be her BUG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts