Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month or so I have been carrying my new M&P 40 compact. Before that I had a S&W .38 2" for about 23 years. I just got done cleaning my M&P was was letting it air out. I went to walk my daog and grabbed my 38, stuck it down the front of my pants(in a holster, something I just can't get comfortable doing with my .40). Man, I forgot or never realized how comfortable that gun is. Guess I never had anything to compare it to. While walking I shifted it to 3 or 3:30. I couldn't even feel that I was carrying.

I actually thought for a moment about going back to this as my EDC. It has original, little wood grips. Very difficult to get a good grip when drawing compared to my M&P. Besides, I love my new gun.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I understand...:image035:
Everyone should have at least one snubbie...:yup:, mine is a S&W 637.
It's easy to conceal, certainly powerful, but it doesn't compare to the power and ability of my Glock-36.:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know it's smaller in caliber, but living in south Florida I'm surprised you haven't tried a little 380 Ruger LCP for pocket carry. It's all I carry in the summer. You can forget it's in your pocket.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's smaller in caliber, but living in south Florida I'm surprised you haven't tried a little 380 Ruger LCP for pocket carry. It's all I carry in the summer. You can forget it's in your pocket.
When I decided it was time for a new carry gun I wanted to get something that would also be fun for me to shoot at the range. After trying many I decided the M&P compact could fill both needs. Though I haven't been through a Florida summer with it yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I decided it was time for a new carry gun I wanted to get something that would also be fun for me to shoot at the range.
You chose wisely. I can tell you the little LCP is not fun to shoot. It's snappy and after 20 rounds or so, you've probably had enough. Nonetheless, she is small, lightweight and hides in a pair of shorts nicely.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Taurus 617 - 7 shot - .357 cal. Comfy and reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I like my Taurus Model 85 UL. Shoots reliably and accurately. I am still looking for OWB holster that will fit it comfortably to me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Man are you preaching to the choir!! I have some sweet autos but always end up with my bulldog or my 638. I tried the Barami Hip Grips and didn't like them, but the Clipdraw for revolvers are great. Now what to do with all the flipping holsters...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
:smile:

I have a feeling, with all the 1911, Glock, etc die hards, talking up the =/- of their firearm, most are carrying around their snub.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually I plan on carrying my Walther P99 in a Crossbreed Supertuck all summer! The Kahr P9 just isn't what I'd consider a primary carry weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
There is nothing as comfortable as a snub, for those quick trips and chores...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't get me wrong, back in my younger days I wore a Colt Agent 38spl snub with a full shroud on it, in a Safariland high ride belt holster. Later on I even got a Colt Cobra :) which I carried in an upside down #19 Safariland shoulder holster, still have the holster!

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's such a personal thing....... I think of myself as a wheel man....... BUT my normal carry gun is my G27.........:wave:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
My wife carries a snubby sometimes, an S&W 642 with Crimson Trace. It was a great value and weighs in at a light 15 ounces empty, same as my SIG P238.

Recently we fueled it up with the new Hornady Critical Defense +P ammo, which gives it more muscle.

Hard to beat the 642 for ease of carry with respectable firepower!

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I find I carry a Colt SF-VI or a S&W Model 15-4 snubnose almost as often as I carry a Glock Model 30. In certain clothing situations, a snubnose is much easier to conceal. :yup:

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yeah, I usually carry the 438 when my 642-P isn't quite right, but when I wear a belt, it’s definitely the 640 or possibly the newer 649. Heck I don’t know…but they’re all pretty handy.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Many days of models of autos’ for sure! However, after about age ‘50’ our finer motor skills diminish to a point, and there’s no getting around it. As predictable as fading eyesight, the revolver becomes more of necessity than perhaps a preference. Oh, I.M.H.O. of course.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts